• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

just for fun: favorite drum intros

Started by Mister Acrolite, October 24, 2002, 07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: felix on October 25, 2002, 10:02 AM
It's a toughie...

Very true. Even though I made sure I played it right in various bands, I'd ALWAYS have to count in the band during the last two bars, because they heard it as starting on 1.

But *I* knew I was right.

No, drummers aren't petty. Never. No way.

:D

sidereal

Quote from: dthree on October 24, 2002, 08:47 PM
Not sure why, but I've always liked the 1/2 bar intro for "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure.

How bout "In Between Days" by the Cure? That one's even better. My cover band used to open every show with that. Doom-pa-pa-do-do-papa-dodo-papa-do-doom-crash!

felix

Hair of the Dog is killer.  My other big drum intro in that set would be "Livin' after Midnight"...yes, no jazz snobbery here...at that point in my "career" jazz licks were pain in the rear exercises my various drum instructors would inflict upon me.

Man, another trip down memory lane- "melt with you"- right on dude...if you played in a cover band in the 80's you played that one.

Mister Acrolite

The drum intro on "Middle of the Road" by the Pretenders is another weirdly phrased (but cool) lick.

I love the way that guy played - he definitely knew how to rock!

felix

Being a cleveland boy I had to play that...and I was with one band where they said..."play that" expecting me to get it after a listen with everyone chattering away.  Yeah right!

People...that is a tricky one fer sure.

Mister Acrolite

Just remembered another one:

Jeff Beck's Freeway Jam - fun intro and fun song to play....

gdawson44

....and who could forget that hollow, gated intro to "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" by Yes?......

marker

Quote from: Mister_Acrolite on October 25, 2002, 08:00 AM
Quote from: felix on October 25, 2002, 06:59 AM
"rock n' roll" from Led Zep

forgot about that one

Another good one, and the source of one of my pet peeves. In bar bands, I almost NEVER hear the drummer play it correctly. They usually modify it so that the first note falls on "1" - either because they can't figure it out, or to help their bandmates find "1." Either way, it's cheating, in my book.

Play it like a man - start on the "and" of "3" like John did!  >:(

You realize, that probably happened by accident, either when it was played, or when it was edited.  "Middle of the Road", same thing.  It's just happenstance.

How about this for simple but effective?  Jon Badanjek,  "Devil with the Blue Dress"...........

timmin

I don't believe I have seen Steve Miller Band's, "Take the money and run" listed yet. A tasty little intro.

You guys have me pulling out the old albums and scouting Kazaa to hear some of these tunes I have forgotten about. Too much fun. :D

Peter Jeffery

Quote from: felix on October 25, 2002, 12:34 PM
Hair of the Dog is killer.  My other big drum intro in that set would be "Livin' after Midnight"...

Ahh yes....the Priest!!   Nice call!   I'll add the intro to 'Hell Bent For Leather.'    Starbreaker, too.   Wicked.    But the stuff Simon Phillips did-  that was the KILLER!!!   Ever check out the groove in Dissident Aggressor??!!   It's off the Sin After Sin album.  Simon was about 16 years old at the time and laid down that fill and groove that ABSOLUTELY KICKED!!!!

Mark Schlipper

this is just wierd.  this thread, the one about breaks, even the lyric one, all this kinda "fav lick" stuff.  i feel kinda left out.  there are parts i hear when listening that will on occasion stand out, but in the end, i tend to forget what they are out of the context of the song.   i never seem to single out instruments in retrospect.  i read these threads and think real hard, but nothing comes to me.

maybe it comes from being as much a guitarist, bassist, whateverist, as i am anything else.  i dont know ... but it brings up the whole "drummer" or "musician" question for me.  not saying people who single out drum fills arent musicians or anything.  its just apparently not how i think about music.

thats all ... just found the whole thing interesting and felt compelled to share :)

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: mark563 on October 25, 2002, 11:13 PM
maybe it comes from being as much a guitarist, bassist, whateverist, as i am anything else.  i dont know ... but it brings up the whole "drummer" or "musician" question for me.  not saying people who single out drum fills arent musicians or anything.  its just apparently not how i think about music.

Mark, I REALLY hope you're not going to hit me with the drummer vs. musician thing. You're way off target. You have taken a very individualized approach to music, learning a variety of instruments, and choosing to focus on quirky unusual drums as your primary instruments. I think that's cool as hell. But it ain't the only way, any more than MY way is the only way.

Many of us play other instruments. Many of us don't. For most of us, a huge part of how we learn to play our drums is from listening to other drummers. Many of us study their playing carefully, and in doing so, it's not uncommon to notice certain particularly conspicuous moments of drumming, and think "wow, that's neato - wonder how he did that?" Many of us take it a step further, by taking the time to figure out HOW he did that.

The practice of transcribing the work of others dates back to Bach and beyond, so PLEASE don't try to suggest that we have tiny little minds because we take the time to isolate and analyze particular passages played by artists we admire. Many visual artists also spend years copying the works of the masters, to hone and perfect their own technique.

You haven't gone out and directly said that we're drummers but not musicians, but that is the inference I made from reading your post, and it smacks of condescension.

There are countless paths to enlightenment. You choose yours, I'll choose mine. But don't belittle me for the path I've taken. So far it's working.

I do NOT say this to attack you. I've read your posts with great interest, and really admire the unusual path you're following - I've looked through your site a lot, and hope that you'll start posting samples of your music, because I'm very intrigued. You sound like a very thoughtful and talented man. But you're not the only thoughtful and talented person on this board.

Keep doing your thing, and I'll do mine. Just don't give me crap about knowing the cowbell intro to Honky Tonk Women, okay?  And I won't give you crap for shopping for drums at Walmart.  :)

Mark Schlipper

man its easy to get riled up around here :)  dont worry guys, i wasnt trying to start anything or infer yall arent musicians.  quite the opposite.   i was just saying that ive never thought the way yall seem to about this kinda thing, and i find it interesting to hear.  

when i said "brings up the question for me" i meant it brings up the question for ME.  i play drums in a band.  i often describe myself as thier "drummer" but sometimes i dont feel like im much of one because i miss out on threads like this.  goes back to my music school days is all.  i didnt like it much :)

just like the old discussion i had about cover songs.  ive never understood it, so i brought it up.  people thought i was bagging on cover bands but i wasnt.  i just have never wanted to be in one and i didnt understand the mentality so i asked.  same thing here.  i dont think this way and find it interesting when people do.  (side note: because of that string i think about covers and whatnot totally differently now.  neat huh :))

trust me.   as a guy whos been looking up to john cage as a hero forever, and a guy who on a regular basis seems to take "the road less travelled" i understand the need for different paths.  i wont EVER infer that one is better than the other and have gotten in several debates here on this forum defending that notion.

so mister acrolite, thanks for your post.  it added a nice angle to the string.  it explained the drive behind the thread.  good reading :)

bingbing

Quote from: mark563 on October 26, 2002, 08:30 AM
man its easy to get riled up around here :)  

so mister acrolite, thanks for your post.  it added a nice angle to the string.  it explained the drive behind the thread.  good reading :)

...and thanks for your post Mark...for you compelled Mr. Acrolite to do so.  :D

Carlos Benson

Vinnie Colaiuta's intro to "Palladium" from the band Karizma, "Document" CD.  :o  :o  :o

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: bingbing on October 26, 2002, 08:53 AM
Quote from: mark563 on October 26, 2002, 08:30 AM
man its easy to get riled up around here :)  

...and thanks for your post Mark...for you compelled Mr. Acrolite to do so.  :D

not to get too off topic here (i do that a lot :)) but its why i love this forum so much.  i think a lot of us assume a lot about our world becase we all have so much in common (thats why we're here).  but we really do all have different ideas and paths and whatnot.  so while we bring up simple little discussions like "man i love that new (insert brand and model) snare!" or "dude, i just heard the latest (insert artist name) recording"  it might not occur to us whats behind those ideas ... the big WHY ... and here, we can open that can o' worms and see.  

felix

Anyways...Yeah Man Dissident Agressor!...sh*t boy- my friend had a 68 torino with a 500 watt amp and a ton of 6x9's and when that tune used to crank (I had the cassette) we would all scream at the top of our lungs  right along with it!

I'm totally hip to all that old priest with simon playing...less binks kicked butt on stained class also.

Mark Schlipper

hey i thought of one (or five) ... all this old metal talk got me thinking of one of my long standing favorites ... voivod ... so i popped in killing technology ... away's (michel langevin's) drum parts on the intros to killing technology and tornado on that album slay me.  tons of toms and kicks ... and they (his drums) all kinda sound the same so its just this insane rolling thunder ... good stuff :)

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: mark563 on October 26, 2002, 12:22 PM
hey i thought of one (or five) ... all this old metal talk got me thinking of one of my long standing favorites ... voivod ... so i popped in killing technology ... away's (michel langevin's) drum parts on the intros to killing technology and tornado on that album slay me.  tons of toms and kicks ... and they (his drums) all kinda sound the same so its just this insane rolling thunder ... good stuff :)

Ah, Mark, you're becoming one of Us.  You have been assimilated. Soon you will be writing posts asking about that cool twirl you saw Tommy Lee do in a Motley Crue video...  :)

Seriously, though - I like this forum for the same reasons. I enjoy spirited, intelligent discussions, and the longer I live, the more ways I see people play, listen to, and appreciate music.

PS- There is a clone of the "First Act" drumkit you like on sale at BJ's Warehouse up the street from me. Pretty cute, but it only comes in metallic burgundy, not a cool retro finish like your Star kit. Bummer...

dthree

When I read the post about singling out drum parts and such, just one thought came to mind: While reading the thread, I had to pull out cds or hit limewire so I could hear the songs, even when I knew them. I couldn't remember specifically what the drummer was playing I just knew that it supported what was going on in the song.