• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

just for fun: favorite drum intros

Started by Mister Acrolite, October 24, 2002, 07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robyn

One I can think of is Tom Petty/Heartbreakers "Don't Come Around Here No More"--has an interesting intro

Mark Schlipper

thought of another cool intro (and its a metal song too, whats with me these days  ::))

ratamahatta by sepultura (off the album roots) this was sepultura's peak at mixing the music of thier native brazil with thier own brand of death metal (max's later first album as soulfly does it well too, maybe better) and the intro to this song slays me.  igor cavellerra is one of my fav metal drummers and this song is one of the main reasons.  problem is, i think its not just him.  the band brought a musician back with them from a trip home and i believe he plays on this intro as well ... theres just too much going on for me to believe its just igor.  but still ... amazing stuff ... who else could mix berimbau and metal huh? who?  

Tony

Take the Money and Run - Steve Miller Band
Over the Mountain - Ozzy
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover - Paul Simon
The Ocean - Led Zeppelin
I Don't Care Anymore - Phil Collins

I will probably think of a lot more as time goes on.  

Carn

Quote from: mark563 on October 27, 2002, 08:54 PM
thought of another cool intro (and its a metal song too, whats with me these days  ::))

ratamahatta by sepultura (off the album roots) this was sepultura's peak at mixing the music of thier native brazil with thier own brand of death metal (max's later first album as soulfly does it well too, maybe better) and the intro to this song slays me.  igor cavellerra is one of my fav metal drummers and this song is one of the main reasons.  problem is, i think its not just him.  the band brought a musician back with them from a trip home and i believe he plays on this intro as well ... theres just too much going on for me to believe its just igor.  but still ... amazing stuff ... who else could mix berimbau and metal huh? who?  

There is some added percussion by David Silveria (Korn), and i believe some other guys as well.

chefdoug

Even more cool intros...can't beleive I left out one of my fav bands!!

Eleven- Primus
Tommy the Cat- Primus
D'yre Maker- Led Zep
Spaghetti Western- Primus
John the Fisherman- Primus(Can anyone tell , I'm a Tim Alexander fan?)

felix

Notice how John Bonham is cleaning up on this thread

Full Collapse

Blink 182 "First Date"

A lot of other Blink songs because Travis is amazing.

Big Yummy

Honky Tonk Woman - The Rolling Stones

Daddy0

Nice to see some of the old Jeff Beck standards on this thread!

Let us not forget one of the original masters of fusion -- Billy Cobham.
A good example is his intro to "One Word" on the "Birds of Fire" album by Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Here is the first minute or so: http://home.insightbb.com/~troop333/OneWord.mp3]http://home.insightbb.com/~troop333/OneWord.mp3

Daddy0

P'Dangelo and I have been talking a bit about Alphonse Mouson lately. Here is the intro to a song called "Beneath the Earth" off of the Larry Coryell/Alphonse Mouson album called "Back Together Again" (They were both in Larry Coryell's Eleventh House).
Anywho, here again is the first minute or so . . .
http://home.insightbb.com/~troop333/Beneath_the_Earth.mp3]http://home.insightbb.com/~troop333/Beneath_the_Earth.mp3
Maybe not his best work, but the only one I had handy.

Tkitna

I just thought of some of my favorites-

1. Billion dollar babies- Alice Cooper
2. When the music's over- the Doors
3. Old Days- Chicago
4. The Rover - Led Zepplin
5. Spider - Kansas(song right before portrait on point of no return)

Jim Martin (cavanman)

Was getting worried towards the end of this thread that "D'yer Maker" wasn't getting on the list. Thanks chefdoug!

"When the Levee Breaks" to me is just drum heaven. No other rock song makes me want to turn up the stereo to levels OSHA would condemn within seconds. The drums sound like you would measure them in feet and not inches.

Sure do miss Senator Bonham.

"Hot for Teacher" seems a guilty pleasure as I'm not sure if it was done without overdubs.

search64

Tool - Ticks and Leeches
Deep Purple - Fireball
Led Zeppelin - When the levee breaks
Rush - One little victory

TW

Spin Doctors - refridgerator car. not the best song in the world but the into in addictive. When the guitar riff kicks in and the drummer starts the cow-bell, it sounds fantastic

Louis Russell

Cow Bell is what its all about.  And the sad part, some people don't even own a cow bell.   8)

Jim Martin (cavanman)

" GUESS WHAT... I gotta FEVAH...." - Christopher Walken aka Bruce Dickinson

Louis Russell

Quote from: cavanman on November 21, 2002, 10:05 AMI gotta FEVAH
Boy oh Boy are you in luck, There is a now cure for that FEVAH. ;D

Tkitna

I live on a farm. Just for fun I tried out about three dozen different cowbells. I'm thinking of setting all of them up. Gotta get the welding machine out and ......

Good lord the thread has changed to cowbells. Sorry.

marker

"The cowbell-a symbol of unbridled passion"......Zappa

Paul DAngelo

Hey DaddyO, I'm going to have to come listen to some music with you, we come from much the same place, at least as far as fusion is concerned.

Back to the thread:

"Up from the Skies" - Mitch Mitchell
"Manic Depression" - Mitch Mitchell
"Two Princes" - Aaron Comess (Spin Doctors)
"Dirty Boogie" - Bernie Dresel
"Dr. Jekyll" - "Philly" Joe Jones

And yes, I have a cowbell.