• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

just for fun: favorite drum intros

Started by Mister Acrolite, October 24, 2002, 07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratamatatt

Quote from: Drumbo on March 16, 2003, 12:05 PM
It's funny that no one mentioned Krupa's intro to "Swing, Swing, Swing", or Sandy Nelson's "Let There Be Drums", lol!

That's 'cause if I hear Sing Sing Sing one more time I'm gonna kill somebody.  And if you're gonna mention those you've got to include Wipeout.   :P

Ratamatatt

Drumbo

Quote from: Ratamatatt on March 19, 2003, 03:43 PM
That's 'cause if I hear Sing Sing Sing one more time I'm gonna kill somebody.  And if you're gonna mention those you've got to include Wipeout.   :P

Ratamatatt

LOL

How about Buddy's intro to "Mercy, Mercy"? I can listen to that groove forever.

pearl115sabian

the beginning of:
"See Me Burning"-Mikkey Dee of Motorhead (Nothing special, but I just like it, what can I say?

"Release"- Mike Bresciani of Beyond The Embrace.

"Indians"- Charlie Bennante of Anthrax (Once again, nothing special, but a really cool opening)

"Goons of Hazzard"- D.H. Peligro of the Dead Kennedy's.

guerrillawar

Whiplash by Metallica
anything Soulfly
my old BIND intros were fun
i can't wait to do some new stuff for bill's band (errr!!! needs a name)

bateradrums

Quote from: JeepnDrummer on March 15, 2003, 02:16 AM
Quote from: Louis on November 21, 2002, 09:39 AM
Cow Bell is what its all about.  And the sad part, some people don't even own a cow bell.   8)
Okay, cow bell.........hmmmm..............here's one: Mississippi Queen by Mountain.

Tom

Remember that song "Superman"? Forgot which band was that... begining of the 70's. Big cowbell 4tr notes intro.

bateradrums

What about that genious intro from Peter Erskine on Weather Report... If I'm not wrong is on "Heavy Weather" album. Sorry I forgot the name on the song, but whoever heard that before knows exactly which one I'm talking about.
That drum solo intro is worthed to be transcribed and played by any drummer!

Phil Bowman

(not very popular hard rock band out of Nashville a few years back)

band: Valentine Saloon
song:  Soak
drummer:   Billy Bakker

orazio

'Squib Cakes' David Garibaldi on drums. Ive yet to see the correct transcription to this 4 bar intro. Dave throws in a ton of ghost notes in this groove and if their not played, then the groove just doesn't flow.

'Poor Tom' John Bonham on drums. Nobody hits the bass drum like this guy

seisen

Quote from: orazio on March 23, 2003, 12:25 PM
'Squib Cakes' David Garibaldi on drums. Ive yet to see the correct transcription to this 4 bar intro. Dave throws in a ton of ghost notes in this groove and if their not played, then the groove just doesn't flow.
Found this on the web.  There's a better transcription in  Garabaldi's Tower of Power Grooves video.
Here's the intro to "Squib Cakes", by Tower of Power.
http://www.cse.ogi.edu/Drum/groove/SquibCakes.html

Carn

Its in Rick Latham's Advanced Funk Studies as well

orazio

Quote from: Dr. Steve on March 23, 2003, 01:30 PM
Found this on the web.  There's a better transcription in  Garabaldi's Tower of Power Grooves video.
Here's the intro to "Squib Cakes", by Tower of Power.
http://www.cse.ogi.edu/Drum/groove/SquibCakes.html

Thanx, its the closest one ive seen so far (at least this one has most of the ghost notes written in)

orazio

Quote from: Carn on March 23, 2003, 01:59 PM

Its in Rick Latham's Advanced Funk Studies as well
Yes i know, thanx (i have that book) Rick did a pretty good job transcribing 'squib cakes' the only thing he missed out were some of the ghost notes. But, in his defence he probably didn't use any transcribing software (like we have nowadays) which you can use to slow down the tune to what ever % you like.  I believe 'advanced funk studies' was the first drum method book i ever bought, i still like to pick it up and play some of the grooves and solos from time to time.

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: orazio on March 23, 2003, 02:50 PM
...Rick did a pretty good job transcribing 'squib cakes' the only thing he missed out were some of the ghost notes. But, in his defence he probably didn't use any transcribing software (like we have nowadays) which you can use to slow down the tune to what ever % you like

What software do you use to assist in transcribing drum parts?

orazio

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on March 23, 2003, 03:03 PM

I use a program called 'Amazing Slow Downer' from Roni Music. It can slow down the speed of the music up to 400% time stretching without changing the pitch.

flyerorange

1.  We're an American Band.........Grand Funk

2.  Get Off My Cloud.......Rolling Stones

3.  Emotional rescue......Rolling Stones

4.  I Love It Loud........KISS

5.  Be My Baby..........Ronettes ( Hal Blaine) :)

jrbaker919

No doubt about it for me, it was Bonzo's intro on ''Been a Long Time''.

Makes me want to buy a Cadillac.

My best,

J. R.

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on March 23, 2003, 03:03 PM

Quote from: orazio on March 23, 2003, 07:24 PM
I use a program called 'Amazing Slow Downer' from Roni Music. It can slow down the speed of the music up to 400% time stretching without changing the pitch.

Awesome - thanks! I just downloaded a trial version - wow, I would have KILLED to have a tool like this when I was a kid!

Thanks again!