Topic: ERIC CARR  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Jay Northrop

• Platinum Member
  • I'm new to the Drummer Cafe!
Re:ERIC CARR
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2006, 08:47 PM »
Eric Carr...what can be said about him.Aside from being an amazing drummer who got one of the best gigs ever.I unfortunatly never got the chance to see KISS live while he was in the band or meet him. I was just a young boy at the time. But as I have grown older and met more bands and more people...one thing has always been clear.He was one of the sweetest and nicest people evr to grace the Earth. All you ever hear is how he would stop and talk to you...and actually talk. He would go out of his way for his fans. When not on tour he was home and not acting like he was a superstar...but just acting like himself.At the age of thirteen my older brother got me into KISS. I had heard the name and a few songs years before...but I was too young to really think anything about it.I instantly became infatuated with KISS,the make-up,the members,the whole nine. And then after about a month I watched a show on VH1 about KISS. And thats when I recalled something from years prior. The same older brother had a " Creatures Of The Night " poster in his room and I always loved the way that one guy looked. He looked so much cooler than the rest. Eric Carr was " that guy " Now I had a name to the face....and what a drumset in front.It was at this time when I knew I needed to be a drummer.And some of the first songs I sat down and played were " War Machine " and " I Love It Loud " As I grew older and more aware of things I found out that Eric wasn't just an amazing drummer but one heck of a musician in general. After finding out about " Rockology " I quickly bought a demo version and official version from the older brother. I had to have them....and I mean HAVE THEM.I still am in aw when I hear those songs. Even the ones that are unfortunatly not and never will be finished.Eric Carr is a musician / drummer that stands in a field alone. He had an ora about him. He was very heartfelt in everything he wrote and played and you can feel it in the music.And while he may not be my top inspiration in drumming anymore as I grow into all different styles of music there is one thing I can say without a doubt in my mind. He is the only drummer who will be permanantly Tattooed on my body. The Fox will live forever with me and on me.And I know that up above...Eric is playing those drums,he is writing songs like " Tiara " and he is talking it up with everyone he encounters and I can rest assured knowing that everyone around him is enjoying every second of it.I may not have known him on a personal or professional level....but he will reamin forever etched in my heart as one of the greatest people to ever grace this earth.

Offline Jay Northrop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2006, 01:15 PM »

Not sure who has seen this. I just found it and I used to have it a long time ago. Now this is an AMAZING solo by Eric.

lilblakdak

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2006, 02:29 PM »
Saw that solo live. He' was one of the few guys with a kit that big who actually used it all, and used it well.

Offline Jay Northrop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2006, 08:32 PM »
This is very true. And while Peart and Portnoy have massive kits...eric really used those electronis amazingly. And if i'm not mistaken he was doing that sort of thing even before peart did it. But yea he was amazing and that solo is really what makes we wants some pads on my kit.

Apollo

ERIC CARR
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2006, 11:47 AM »
I've seen that solo before, its BRILLIANT.
I have listened to both Carr and Peart doing the same type of solo, but Erics just makes me go hyper, where as Pearts, while being exceptional, doesn't leave me in awe as much as Erics did.

Offline Tony

• Cafe VIP
  • Art is the expression of the self.
ERIC CARR
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2006, 03:45 PM »
Are we watching the same solo?  Because I saw no brilliance or even greatness.  It's an ok solo, and I mean that nicely.  

Here's a NP solo from around the same time, maybe 3 or 4 years later. Notice the Simmons pads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lg1Ju03oQY&search=neil%20peart%20]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lg1Ju03oQY&search=neil%20peart%20
The techniques, though they play an important role in the early stage, should not be too restrictive, complex or mechanical. If we cling to them, we will become bound by their limitation.  Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it.

Offline Jay Northrop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2006, 09:55 PM »
Now there is a NP solo I have watched about 20,000 times,lol. Actually figured out how he does some things from having watched that so much,lol. But I think what always got me about that Eric Carr solo wasn't what he did or didn't do...but rather how he did it. Like with the simmons pads...he has them programmed with guitar style sounds. So he more or less plays a song with drums.And i'm sure others have done it ( won't even go into denying it ) but being that Eric could sing,play bass,guitar,keys,etc.... He had a more musical and instrumental approach the the drums where as a drummer just has a drummers approach since its what we do best.If that makes any sense....

Apollo

ERIC CARR
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2006, 02:33 PM »
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOvAoDG9Z2o&search=Eric%20Carr]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOvAoDG9Z2o&search=Eric%20Carr
Never seen that one before, its great! Amazing bass drum work

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram