• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Band name on BD head: Corny? Cool?

Started by scottboundy, May 07, 2006, 03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoggrocks

wow, i feel stupid. never knew it was considered corny. i kinda like it, myself, 'specially if you're playing with a bunch of other bands. i'd want someone to remember us.

maybe it's not corny. maybe it's... maizey :P

Roger Beverage

I currently have the band name along with the initial logo because

1.  I want a vintage look for the band

2. We often play for functions where the event itself is the draw and people ask "Who are you?"

If you are fortunate enough to have a string of steady gigs and are established in you area, then a name on the head would be unnecessary.  However, if you are constantly scuffling for gigs, then the name on the head is only additional to the banner, the business cards and the handouts and the mail list.

Roger

drumwild

Quote from: smoggrocks on May 08, 2006, 05:05 PM
maybe it's not corny. maybe it's... maizey :P

that was corny right there, I don't care who ya are GITTER DUNNNN

Saw a band the other night that had the name/logo on the bass drum head, as well as THREE BANNERS behind them on the stage. I purposefully forgot who they were.

Tony

I say whatevr floats your boat.  It's like choosing a snare or cymbal; if it works for you then do it.

TheBeachBoy

I have our band name written on my white reso head.  Then again, it works since we have a 50's/60's vibe and sound going.  I personally think that the band name logo that you photoshopped looks ok, but a logo would look equally ok,  I guess it depends on the style you're going for.  The name worked for the Beatles, but John Bonham used an image on his: 2 different styles of band, 2 different concepts for bass drum art.

Mark Schlipper

What I've learned from Mr. A is that if you put your bands name on the head, the band will break up within a month.  

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: 563 on May 11, 2006, 06:14 PM
What I've learned from Mr. A is that if you put your bands name on the head, the band will break up within a month.  

That's not quite it. What I've learned is that if I put a band's name on my bass drum head, I will soon be fired from that band.

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on May 11, 2006, 08:02 PM
That's not quite it. What I've learned is that if I put a band's name on my bass drum head, I will soon be fired from that band.

Well, whats a band without you on drums ;)     I knew it was something tragic regardless  ;D

drummer1202

I play in a punk band and we really don't have any art. I bought silver sharpie markers and colored in the band name myself on a black reso head.  I think it looks nice, and people will remember our name, although that may not be such a good thing.

I also did it on my snare, just so I could easily identify it from afar.  I had a friend who's snare was stolen at a gig.

spirit

Vintage Ludwig

I opted to put my name on a couple of my bd heads ala Rich/Krupa.  That way, people know who the drummer is at least-and if the band dissolves, I wont be stuck with a useless head!