Topic: What happened to the "Loose Change" thread  (Read 2456 times)

mroberge

What happened to the "Loose Change" thread
« on: May 07, 2006, 08:37 AM »
did someone move it?

Please tell me that we are not censoring our forums now?

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 05:17 PM »
I don't what thread you are talking about; sorry.

Read the forum rules. If it breaks (or broke) the forum rules, then the thread is gone. If it was in MISC to begin with, it probably didn't get moved. If the thread was in MISC and over a year old, it was removed from the database.

If you want to let me know what the thread was about and/or who started the thread, I'll see what I can do to give you a more specific answer.

This is MY forum, and I have set up rules to follow my core values. Part of my value system is to keep this forum for general audiences as much as possible. Also, in a spirit of community and unity, we don't talk about politics/religion on this forum ... but rather, you guessed it ... drums, percussion and music!  8) So yes, we do censor threads/posts on this forum whenever necessary.

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 07:59 PM »
I think he's talking about the thread that linked to video dealing with a potentail conspiracy or alternative version of the 9/11 plane attacks.

It's just as well that it's gone, imho.

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 08:30 PM »
I think he's talking about the thread that linked to video dealing with a potentail conspiracy or alternative version of the 9/11 plane attacks.

Oh, if that's it ... then I know I deleted the thread.
We just don't need that stuff here ... regardless of anyone's view or opinion.  I delete things that I agree and disagree with, so it's not personal and I don't show favoritism. I'm human and I'm definitely not perfect ... but I do my best to be fair and unbiased.

mroberge

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 09:50 PM »

Yes that was the thread. It was a very political clip called "loose change", but unfortunately things like that just keep getting swept under the carpet--hidden from public view.

It was posted in the Miscellaneous:
Non-drum or personal topics, humor, rants, comments etc, section, and was only two days old.

I'm not saying the contents of the video are true or untrue, but I believe people should be allowed to form their own opinions. I can respect the rules of the forum, however. I just think that some things are more important than drums...IMHO

P.S. where are the rules?

mroberge

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 10:08 PM »
Nevermind, I found them... (the rules) that is.

If there is a hard rule about no politics/religion, and you are fair about removing ALL of it, regardless of content, then I can deal with that.  

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 10:10 PM »
P.S. where are the rules?

There is a link on the main forum page on the right hand side under the cafe menu.
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 11:03 PM »
Nevermind, I found them... (the rules) that is.

If there is a hard rule about no politics/religion, and you are fair about removing ALL of it, regardless of content, then I can deal with that.  

I try my best ... but like I said ... I'm not perfect.

I love talking politics and religion, but not here. The Drummer Cafe is in it's fifth year, and we've had political/religious threads here before ... quite a few of them actually. But there's one thing that was consistent ... those discussions hurt our members. Some good people left this forum because of it ... many by their own choice, but some by my choice. I don't want to go through that ever again, if at all possible.

Not talking about it here doesn't mean we are sweeping it under the rug or that we don't care ... or even that we don't want to talk about. I don't want to get into all the reasons WHY we don't talk about that stuff here ... we've done that before and I'm tired of justifying my actions and/or my rules. Please remember, this is a community forum BUT it is also MY forum. I make up the rules, I call the shots, I say what goes or doesn't go. If you don't like the way I run the Drummer Cafe, that's fine ... go start your own forum ... or find a forum that fits your personality.

I'm not going to try to be all things to all people. I am who I am ... take it or leave it. I'm not perfect ... and neither are you. I do my best to run a clean forum where we can respect each other as we share our thoughts and ideas about music and drumming. I created the rules for others to follow ... and as the rules state:

As the host, founder and owner of the Drummer Cafe, Bart Elliott reserves the right to modify, change, add to, or alter these rules at any time, including their interpretation and applications. It is your responsibility, as a Drummer Cafe member, to review these rules; making sure that you stay current with any changes or additions. You don't have to like the rules ... just obey them.

This forum is like my house. I have rules if you want to be my guest in my house. But just because there are rules in place, it DOES NOT mean that I am some how obligated to live by those same house rules. It's my house! I do, however, try to live by example and live by the same forum rules that I'm asking everyone else to follow. It wouldn't be much fun to hang out with someone who didn't even do what he expected everyone else to do now would it? So, I do my best ... HOWEVER ... I will not limit my actions or words here. Whether it be wrong or right in anyone's eyes, there are times I may not follow the forum rules for the betterment of the community; that is my caveat.

The forum rules are included with the registration process, which every member had to agree to when joining this forum. If you read them, you should know what I'm talking about. If you didn't read them, then I encourage you or anyone to read them thoroughly.

I'm NOT trying to be a jerk or pull rank here ... I'm simply speaking the truth ... it's my forum and website ... but I created it for YOU! I want everyone to feel welcome and treat the forum as though it was their own. The only time I wrangle everyone in and start pulling rank, letting you know it's MY forum, is when I have to and we can't seem to see eye to eye. If everyone reads the rules AND follows them, we should all get along just fine ... at least most of the time. 99% of the time, it's a democracy ... but sometimes it's a monarchy ... and I try to do that small percentage as little as possible. Only when my hand is forced do I put on my crown and wave my scepter. Oops ... wrong hat!

Now ... back to drums!

mroberge

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 01:45 AM »
Like I said, it's cool if there are "off limit" topics in order to keep the peace here at the forums. There are plenty of other places to discuss those things.

I initially thought the post was deleted because someone disagreed with the video.

My understanding now is that the original poster deleted the thread on his own.

Offline Plooker68

• Cafe VIP
  • Joe knows!!!!
Re:What happened to the "Loose Change" thread
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 03:32 AM »
       WOW...I saw that documentary.     I was blown away.
I study instructional books to help "ground" my drumming, if i develop chops...so be it.     I'm riding the "Groove Train" out of Chopsville... and enjoying the ride.

Offline Robyn

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 07:02 PM »
I really appreciate your honesty Bart. I also very much appreciate the DC, as I've learned a tremendous amount here.
Thanks for all your efforts.

robyn
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too, can become great.           ~Mark Twain

Danno

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 08:08 PM »
I really appreciate your honesty Bart. I also very much appreciate the DC, as I've learned a tremendous amount here.
Thanks for all your efforts.

robyn

I second that emotion.

And as for mroberge, I have to say something. It really ticked me off that you were bellyaching about censorship when you hadn't even read the forum rules. And then this -

"If there is a hard rule about no politics/religion, and you are fair about removing ALL of it, regardless of content, then I can deal with that." Gee, I'll sleep better tonight knowing that you can deal with the rules of this forum as long as they conform to your standards.

Offline Rylie

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm really not this wide.
    • Red Velvet Mojo
Re:What happened to the "Loose Change" thread
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 08:36 PM »
I like it here...mainly because it is run the way it is. If it changed and became a free-for-all or a forum for political argument, I'd leave it like the other dozen or so I used to visit.

It's a nice break from all that junk, and for that I say "Thanks, Bart!".

Shut up and play.

mroberge

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 10:13 PM »
Gee, I'll sleep better tonight knowing that you can deal with the rules of this forum as long as they conform to your standards.

That's not what I meant, Danno...  I didn't mean to emphisize the word "ALL" so heavily with the bold and stuff. and after re-reading it I can see how it was misconstrued.

I emphasized  "ALL"--not meaning that I expect/want him to remove every tid bit of political jumbo on the boards. I emphasized "ALL" meaning that if he chose to deleted them all because he just doesn't want them here, then fine. (In which Bart already stated...)

We just don't need that stuff here ... regardless of anyone's view or opinion.  I delete things that I agree and disagree with, so it's not personal and I don't show favoritism. I'm human and I'm definitely not perfect ... but I do my best to be fair and unbiased.

I did read the rules when I signed up, but it's been a while...

And as i said in an earlier post, I initially thought the thread was removed (not because of the rules) but because someone simply disagreed with it.

As far as the "I can deal with that," statement. It was a figure of speech, (or so I thought...) but I will try to phrase it properly for you next time.  

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram