Topic: American Idol  (Read 19892 times)

Danno

American Idol
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2006, 06:06 PM »
Does ANYBODY want to talk about DRUMS?

Well, in my post that began this thread I mentioned the two box drummers who were featured on-stage two weeks ago, but no one picked up on that. And I remain surprised that here at Drummer Cafe, when two box drummers were featured on-stage on the most popular television program in the nation, no one had a word to say about it. That's what made me start this thread.

Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
Re:American Idol
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2006, 07:44 PM »
Seems to me the thread started out as a reasonable discussion of the show and musicianship and whether one likes it or not.  But somewhere along the way the wheels came off and it morphed into a extended exercise in urinary warfare.

Mister Acrolite

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm not bald; I'm aerodynamic.
    • k e i t h c r o n i n . c o m
Re:American Idol
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2006, 07:56 PM »
...a extended exercise in urinary warfare.

Now THAT's funny!  

Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
American Idol
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2006, 08:18 PM »
Does ANYBODY want to talk about DRUMS?

Well, it is the Miscellaneous forum... ;D

Gregg Rivers

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm still around!
    • The Rock 92.3 House Band
American Idol
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2006, 08:35 PM »
I can honestly say that not only have I not watched one episode of this years A.I., I managed to miss last season in it's entirety as well! :P

David Crigger

• Honorary VIP
    • www.davidcrigger.com
American Idol
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2006, 02:24 AM »
But like William Pryor told me, "It's never hard to do the right thing".  Of course he's only one step removed from the Supreme Court of the United States, what would he know?  

Tony,

A fine quote by Judge Pryor (as for his wisdom beyond that - that discussion would take us far afield of Cafe rules, so let’s not go there).

I guess the question here boils down to what was or wasn't "the right thing".

On the one hand, you seem to put forth the idea that there is one black and white standard for professional behavior in all fields.  Yet your very post seems to contradict that - both the black and white part as well as the “one size fits all” aspect.

I wouldn't begin know the subtle details for measuring professional conduct and behavior in the law enforcement community. If I was entering into that field, I assume that is one of the many things you, as an Academy instructor, might instruct me on.

How you are able to take such high moral ground, when judging my behavior in a field that you so clearly don't understand and/or have little experience in is beyond me. The fact that my clarifications, along with the affirmations of other professionals here, have done nothing to dissuade you in the least bit is even more perplexing. Sadly I fear your lack of respect for the field in general - by evidence of your derogatory crack about "playing" - just might be a factor here.

In any case -

I have broken no professional protocol by my posts here.

If I had aired "dirty laundry" about the Idol staff, their business practices, their professional competence" or other aspects of their professional behavior or demeanor based on knowledge or experiences I had while working with them - that might have been an entirely different manner.

But I didn't.

I talked about my feelings about the show as it effects the industry as a whole as I see it.

In my industry - working someplace for a day, or a week does not purchase the kind of "support" you have alluded to. It just doesn't.  As long as I don't inappropriately bring my opinion into the studio - NOBODY CARES.  Or talk out of school - meaning bad mouth from “insider information” - NOBODY CARES.

The world of the professional studio musician does not include attending employee rally meetings like many Walmart workers must deal with - or anything like that.

I show up - do whatever has to be done (musically/politically/socially) to make the day a success for the person that hires - and go home and wait for my check.

Typically this can amount to negotiating a lot of creative compromises, fragile egos, varying political agendas as smoothly as possible  - while at the same time trying to keep at least some focus on the music and playing the drums. :-)

I would venture that the kind of moral decisions and problems that would regularly arise in law enforcement, rarely if ever comes up in this field of work. Indeed making it easy to “do the right thing”. Doing it all well is, of course, another matter.

As for this being a place of education - I agree. And though I know I have a fair amount of experience, I don’t hang here for information to flow one way only.

But in this case, my awareness of the education aspect is exactly why I added the “had to bite my tongue” comment to my original post. Because this is exactly the kind of “know when to open your mouth and when to keep shut” experience that I feel is useful to young players. That and the general amount of compromise and the ability to negotiate tricky circumstances that is necessary to survive even one’s first band experience on the way to a career.

This aspect of musical education didn’t just come to me either. I’m a former instructor at both PIT @ Musician’s Institute and the Dick Grove School of Music in California. It was made very clear to me, as I was hired for each of those positions, that the passing on of exactly this kind of anecdote (without breaking professional protocol) was most definitely part of my job description. In fact, a great deal of the reason each school chose working professionals as teachers over possibly more academically trained educators.

Tony, anyway for me, that’s enough - you either get it...or you don’t.

If anyone else had questions about all this, maybe this filled them in as well.

For everyone else, I’m afraid this has all become so much golden decorations of the snow.

On to other things....

David

Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
American Idol
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2006, 03:25 AM »
On a lighter note.....and talking about having your nose put out of joint by a forum member...... ;)

I just found myself viewing a McCartney forum (having linked off a news story about the marriage/seperation thing).  :-[

Anyway, I happened to see the topic 'Abe or Ringo - who is best?', so I couldn't resist taking a peek.
The debate only raged for about three posts because everybody agreed they were both good. Then the discussion got on to other McCartney drummers and my name came up.
Someone said I was the worst drummer McCartney had ever worked with.
The reason?
My drums 'sounded too 80's on the Tripping The Live Fantastic album'.
An album incidentally recorded live in 1989, although mixed in 1990.
Funnily enough I kind of agree. I don't like the drum sound much myself. It was mixed by Bob Clearmountain and he stuck a load of his famous drum samples on it. The final drum sound and album mix was completely out of my control of course.
But if you can't sound 80's in the 80's........... ???

Bloody forums.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
American Idol
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2006, 07:07 AM »
On an even lighter note........

Am I the only one who sees a similarity?

Bart Elliott

• Super Admin
  • Founder & Owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
American Idol
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2006, 08:30 AM »
David Crigger ... thanks for that last post ... it was excellent and well put.

I think it's time to close this thread and move on to other things. I'm not saying you can't talk about American Idol anymore ... and I'm NOT here to censor opinions ... I just want us all to move on to other discussion. If you want to talk more about American Idol, start another thread ... but I recommend to just move on.

Peace.

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram