• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Which drummer inspired you the most?

Started by Mark Schlipper, May 27, 2006, 02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Schlipper

The biggest drumming influences who are drummers ...

Jim White - Dirty Three
Steve Jansen - Japan, Rain Tree Crow, JBK, etc
Rashied Ali - John Coltrane, etc
Eddie Prevost - AMM, etc
Jaki Liebezeit - Can

All for different reasons that come together in my playing really.  Jim for his loose approach that still feels connected to the music.   Steve for both his ability to play way outside the box and still have it groove (ala Japan) and his ability to play simple, slow, and tasteful and not have it be boring (ala Rain Tree Crow).  Rashied for treating drums as a melodic instrument instead of just rhythmic.   Eddie for pulling more sounds out of a kit than ever imagined possible.  And Jaki for his machine like ability to drive a band endlessly with an incredible bass foot

justdave01

Steve Gadd, groove, groove, groove. Amazing ear to play for the music.

Danno

The drummer who influenced me the MOST was Mickey Dolenz of The Monkees, because he's the person who got me started playing.

William Leslie

I'm from a different age group, but my man drummer was Gene Krupa, followed closely by Buddy Rich. I said one other time that Krupa came thru our town and even played there several times as I was growing up. I had to get some one to let me in the back, but all the hidding was well worth it. At one point I got him to sign a snare head for me. Had that for many years.

rocksnob

John Bonham, Neil Peart, Don Brewer, Jeff Campitelli, Bill Bruford, Will Calhoun, Rod Morganstein, Ralph Poccaro( Jeff's dad and my teacher at MIT Back in the day), Clive Burr, Matt Cameron and lately, Chad Smith of the Chili Peppers. Sorry, can't put it down to one. ;)

FindingNorthport

Being younger, some of the drummers that initially got me into drumming are:

Travis Barker
Chad Smith

but after learing so many things over my 9 years of playing, i have learned to love and respect the work of guys like:

buddy rich
john bonham
neil peart

agogobil

Eskil Sæter

Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater was the one that got me back into drumming after a hiatus of almost 10 years, so for that alone he's probably my biggest true inspiration.

As for drummers whose style I find myself inspired and influenced by though, the sounds of drummers like Nick D'Virgilio (Spock's Beard, Mike Keneally), Jason Bittner (Shadows Fall), Tico Torres (Bon Jovi), Jeremy Colson (Steve Vai, Dali's Dilemma) and Dave DiCenso (Hiromi, John Petrucci) probably form a much larger part of my style and sound these days. These days I'm really into trying to nail a powerful and solid groove more than trying to impress other drummers with my flashy technique.

ludwigvondrumcrazy

Number one would have to be Danny Seraphine, who I first saw when Chicago was still called Chicago Transit Authority, with a close second Donny Brewer of Grand Funk. Donny was a natural inspiration due to the fact that I grew up as a garage band drummer {starting in 1969} in Flint, Michigan while Grand Funk was tearing it up, which we all considered a "Local Band." My older brother still likes to tell the story about the time, this was back in the 60's, that his band, The Cobra's, beat Donny's band, the Jazzmasters in our County's "Battle of the Bands." First prize was backing up the Shirelles in a venue that held something like 8,000...............

I've lived in Swartz Creek now for over 20 years and like to say that our claim to fame is "Hometown of Don Brewer," which isn't too far from the truth since there "ain't" much else happening here.................

Jack  

1up

ââ,¬Â¢ Tim Alexander (Primus)
ââ,¬Â¢ Steve Shelley (Sonic Youth)
ââ,¬Â¢ John Densmore (the Doors)
ââ,¬Â¢ Chad Smith (Chili Peppers)
ââ,¬Â¢ Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones)
ââ,¬Â¢ Alan White (Yes)
ââ,¬Â¢ Cindy Blackman (various)
ââ,¬Â¢ Blue Man Group (collective)
ââ,¬Â¢ Butch & Jaimoe (Allman Bros. Band)

& Jim White - Dirty Three (that was a great one 563)

. . . . these are the drummers that when I hear them, it's their drumming that sticks out and draws me into the percussion, inspiring me!

jmichael

Bill Bruford - for teaching me that there are many ways to look at "the beat" and for always looking forward to the next musical challenge.  The true definition of "progressive" to me.

Riker

Mark Counts

Wow, another one of these???
Bonham
Peart
Carl Palmer- http://www.paiste.com/news/viewnews.php?newsid=262.
      My personal favorite is touring North America                                
Allen White
Ansley Dunbar
Bill Bruford
Billy Cobham
And many, many more!!!
                                       Nutty

Danno

Quote from: ludwigvondrumcrazy on May 27, 2006, 11:15 PM
Number one would have to be Danny Seraphine, who I first saw when Chicago was still called Chicago Transit Authority, with a close second Donny Brewer of Grand Funk. Donny was a natural inspiration due to the fact that I grew up as a garage band drummer {starting in 1969} in Flint, Michigan while Grand Funk was tearing it up, which we all considered a "Local Band." My older brother still likes to tell the story about the time, this was back in the 60's, that his band, The Cobra's, beat Donny's band, the Jazzmasters in our County's "Battle of the Bands." First prize was backing up the Shirelles in a venue that held something like 8,000...............

I've lived in Swartz Creek now for over 20 years and like to say that our claim to fame is "Hometown of Don Brewer," which isn't too far from the truth since there "ain't" much else happening here.................

Jack  

Cool story about the Cobras and the Jazzmasters. I love stuff like that. And I still listen to Don, Mark and Mel once in a while. Hell, we played "American Band" in the last band I was in.

bilkay

Quote from: jmichael on May 28, 2006, 09:12 AM
Bill Bruford - for teaching me that there are many ways to look at "the beat" and for always looking forward to the next musical challenge.  The true definition of "progressive" to me.

Ditto.

BVSCfanatic

I was not going to post but I cannot BELIEVE that one name has not surfaced at ALL.  

As a self-taught drummer [who has studied the videos of many, many, many drummers], MANY drummers have influenced and inspired me.  But  there is one drummer whose unique and compelling style has truly INSPIRED ME more than any other.  

Peter Edward Baker, better known as Ginger Baker.  

He has inspired me as no other.    

P. S. - My compliments to the originator of this thread.  I HATE threads that ask "Who is the GREATEST drummer (or greatest anything\) in the world".   THAT is a stupid question which has no answer.   But the question "What drummer has INSPIRED YOU the most?" is a very worthwhile question with many valid answers.  

DoubleC

As a child of the 80's, Neil Peart was THEE drummer of inspiration.

sweetrock

There are several drummers that influenced me and continue to do so to this day.  There were two drummers in my formative years that really were instrumental (no pun intended) in me developing into the player that I am today.

STEVE GADD - Hands down for me is the tastiest player I've ever heard.  Extremely musical and plays exactly what is called for.  His technique is flawless and his vocabulary is endless.  He is a musical chameleon and can play a variety of musical styles authentically.  In addition to the technical and musical lessons I've learned from him, he is a great role model for having a successful, long and lucrative career as a professional drummer.  He has an easygoing personality and doesn't let his ridiculous bag of chops get in the way of pleasing the artists he's playing with.

STEWART COPELAND - Stewart showed me that a drummer can have a signature sound.  His power and creativity floored me.  Having been born in 1965, I grew up listening to fat, wet snare drum sounds.  When I heard Stewart's telltale "crack" I was hooked.  Then he reeled me in with his incredibly tasty hihat and cymbal work.  His use of splashes and ride cymbal patterns have stuck with me to this day.

xXxBURYyourDEADxXx

professional drummer... Derrick Roddy

But more of local drummers that i grew up around.

donelk

David Garibaldi
Philly Jo
Billy Cobham
Tommy Lee