• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Which drummer inspired you the most?

Started by Mark Schlipper, May 27, 2006, 02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Danny Heifetz (Mr. Bungle)
John Bonham
Chris Pennie (Dillinger Escape Plan)
Brad Wilk (Rage Against the Machine)
Jabo & Clyde (James Brown)
Pistol Allen (& All of the Motown Drummers)
Gene Krupa
Gene Hoglan
Louis Bellson
Buddy Rich

MOUSE

Alex Duthart
Carmine Appice
Ian Paice
Steve Ferrone

Tkitna

Ringo
Phil Ehart
Hal Blaine
Jim Keltner
Jim Gordon

Mark P

Carlos Vega...

I believe Carlos was the most under-rated drummer that ever lived. Every time I hear him play, I start itching to get to the drum set!

MP

piccupstix

Hi guys, new here...don't know what took me so long to find this great site!

Dennis Wilson-started it for me.  After that:

Ringo-yeah, that Sullivan broadcast, but I'm always amazed to this day.

Dino Danelli-completely made sure there was no turning back for me.

Buddy Rich-the guy who (in my book) stands above all.

DannyMeazell

Another that was a huge influance for me that everyone seems to forget is Sandy Nelson!  :'(

psycht

The first was Paul Geary (Extreme) who showed me the vaule of a simplistic beat can be big and fat.

Matt Chamberlain, Phil Selway (Radiohead), Carter B, & Matt Johnson (Jeff Buckley) etc... each showed me how musical a kit can sound and that its just not a rhythm creator ... its an instrument.

renier8

Starting my musical life with trumpet and then guitar, puts me in a position where I hardly know any drummers. But a year ago, when I was still considering taking up drums, one band made me go out and buy a drum kit, and that is Megadeth. I don't even know the drummer's name, but what ever he did, got me going.

Other than that, since I never really listened to the "drum" parts of music, you could say I inspire myself when I practice. ;D

redaNt

Benjamin8888i

Now Steve Gadd and Kenny Aronoff. Although admitedly, Steve Gadd is rather too much for me! Or rather, too advance for me. (Mainly his rudiments).

Surely more to come!

I like Kenny and his powerful/aggresive way of playing, you should check him out!  8) ;D

http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/aronoff.html

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: BVSCfanatic on May 28, 2006, 08:47 PM
Peter Edward Baker, better known as Ginger Baker.  
I got my first kit in July of '67 when Cream and Hendrix were big and getting bigger.

Mitch Mitchell and Ginger Baker were major inspirations for me.  I loved Baker's playing on Cream's live extended jams and I loved the jazz tinge of Mitchell's playing.

RouteThreeBlues

@$%#, there are so many, but most have already been mentioned!
One I haven't seen is Matt Abts of Govt Mule. Great and under rated drummer...and band!! ;D

David Crigger

The most early on....

Mitch Mitchell
Buddy Rich
Carmine Appice
Ralph Humphrey
Billy Cobham

felix

David, you were actually one of my very first influences.  I still have your Drum Drops record volume #3.

I actually have it on deck in my studio to put on cd so I can work out with it a bit.

UPTMOST RESPECT  ;D

Then we have good old Neil Peart!
Cozy Powell for sure.
Vinnie Appice
Tommy Aldridge

These guys were the first.

donelk

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on June 16, 2006, 08:38 PM
Whenever I see all three names - John Henry Bonham - it seems weird to me.  The three-name thing is usually reserved for killers.  John Wayne Gacy, John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald. . . .    :P

Yeah Dave... I played that musical too!  It was fun.

Chris -

Here are mine:

Steve Gadd - all around
Paul Wertico, Danny Gottlieb - amazing cymbal work

Mark Counts

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on June 16, 2006, 08:38 PM
Whenever I see all three names - John Henry Bonham - it seems weird to me.  The three-name thing is usually reserved for killers.  John Wayne Gacy, John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald. . . .    :P

I have been thinking about the 3 name thing and I am not sure what the think about
John Jacob Jingle Hymer Schmit.  Even the fa la la la la's sound like he could be a bad guy?
Or maybe I am just NUTZ???
                                           Nutty

1013greendayfan1

pohsoonteng

Carter Beauford, Stanton Moore, Max Roach.

timibud

I don't remember drums before I started playing them.

Then it was Criss, Peart, McBrain, Bonham, & the answer,... NEIL ! ! !