• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Which drummer inspired you the most?

Started by Mark Schlipper, May 27, 2006, 02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucywriggley

Shame not to see Roger Taylor so far. Queen inspired me totally, not just to become a drummer, but to excell as a performer, but to be what you want to be, not bound by other people's rules. Other drummers may have higher repute, but without Roger Taylor, I wouldn't have had the guts to sign up for lessons.
When the music teacher announced that there was a new drum teacher starting with our school, it just clicked in my head as something I wanted to do. When that assembly was over, I told my best friend I was going to sign up, and she laughed in my face, and worse, tried to get some of my guy-mates near us to laugh along. That was the best thing that could have happened, cos I would probably had given it up as whim if she hadn't laughed, but that made me determined. Just knowing that Queen were a success despite being laughed at gave me courage.

NickHodgsonKC

Quote from: rocksnob on May 27, 2006, 09:35 PM
John Bonham, Neil Peart, Don Brewer, Jeff Campitelli, Bill Bruford, Will Calhoun, Rod Morganstein, Ralph Poccaro( Jeff's dad and my teacher at MIT Back in the day), Clive Burr, Matt Cameron and lately, Chad Smith of the Chili Peppers. Sorry, can't put it down to one. ;)

Hi there, I thought Joe was Jeff's Dad.

Mine are

Roger Taylor (Queen)
Neil Peart (Rush)
John Bonham (Led Zep)
Jeff Porcaro (Toto/Jacko)
Cozy Powell (Rainbow/Brian May)
Ringo Starr (Beatles)
Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
Steve Gadd (Various)
Gene Krupa (Benny Goodman)

Jon

Gene Kruppa/Buddy Rich inspired me to start drumming.John Bonham and Rick(Def Leppard) inspired me to keep going.

karkus30

Carl Palmer of ELP-saw him touring in the UK and was able to get close enough to touch his Brady drumset  ;D I also liked Bill Bruford -Yes  and  Guy Evans from Van Der Graaf Generator but it was Palmers showmanship and power that did it for me.

Strangely, if you had asked me about John Bonham back then I would have said......Who??

Denny_AJD

The Great Terry Bozzio.  ;D And don't forget Lars Ulrich. Remember those double pedal pattern on the Justice For All album? Nasty.  :-*

forgetfuljonesdw

I've got to say, Southern california Punk rock drummers got me drummin...most notably Jordan Burns from the band Strung out got me playing to begin with...
Others..
  -Bonham
  -Danny Carey
  -Marco Minnemann - guy is disgusting!!
  -The Reverend - (Avenged Sevenfold)

Moose

I'd have to say John Bonham, Zeppelin was my inspiration and reason why I wanted to play drums so badly. Others are:

John Densmore
Manu Caché
Omar Hakeem
Larry Mullen JR.

mapexdrummer1234

kevinondrums

Hello, first post here in this forum.  I like the civility of it.

Since my Dad was a drummer (and a very good one I might add!) he was the one that inspired me to play.

I have three drummers that were major influences on what I play, how I play and why I play.

Idris Muhammad - One of the most under rated jazz drummers of our time.  I first heard him play on one of my Dad's favorite records, Power of Soul in 1974.  I have been a jazz lover ever since.

Dave Mattacks - I heard Fairport Convention the first time in 1970.  Their record, Full House and the song Sloth showed me the folk music could be really awesome.  That song has been one of my favorites for most of my life and I have duplicated that song in many of the songs I have played.  Dave showed power and feel on that record that I have tried to duplicate my entire drumming career.

Jeff Porcaro - Although I had been around the drums and drummers my whole young life, I never really thought about playing them seriously.  That all changed in 1977 when I heard Boz Scagg's Lido Shuffle.  From the moment that song started with that amazing driving drum beat I knew that I had to learn how to do that.  I have and it was all because of Porcaro.