• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Things that annoy me about drummers as a sound man

Started by stickers, July 13, 2006, 11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Quote from: James Walker on July 13, 2006, 11:45 AM
Is it just me, or is the language censor not functioning on this updated version of the forum software?  I didn't see any way to set it (enable it, disable it, etc.) in my "preferences" pages.

If there's no censor software anymore, then I've got some things to get off my chest, too...  ;D

Unfortunately there IS censor software, but I have to enter in every word that I want to be censored. It's not very fun to sit around and try to think of every curse word known to man, entering it in so that it can be censored.

I didn't see this thread in time to do anything about it.

This best censor is to just not use offensive language. We should each be our own censor and have enough sense (and self-control) to know when and where to use crass language (if ever).

Bart Elliott

Quote from: stickers on July 13, 2006, 01:11 PM
I understand it has condescending tone and delivery but I just didnt feel like sugar coating my rant just to be mr. nice guy. 

You just joined this drum community forum and immediately started ranting about drumming. Talk about stirring up a hornets nest.

If you want to see change in people, try being a little more positive in your tone.

The Drummer Cafe isn't your average forum ... that's why it's one of the best (if not THE best) drum & percussion forum on the Internet.

Think of the Drummer Cafe as a five-star resort/restaurant. Here you can't cuss like a sailor.
If that doesn't work for you, think of this as my house ... show some respect, etiquette and self-control.  8)

James Walker

Quote from: Bart Elliott on July 14, 2006, 08:08 AM
Unfortunately there IS censor software, but I have to enter in every word that I want to be censored. It's not very fun to sit around and try to think of every curse word known to man, entering it in so that it can be censored.

FINALLY!  A job I'm eminently qualified for!  Need a volunteer?  ;D

Just for the record:  even though I inquired about it, I didn't personally have a problem with the "offending" words (where's my copy of Bad Santa, again?).  I was just surprised to see them (one in particular) showing up at the Cafe.

Mister Acrolite

This is why I suggested that he take some time to read some posts, and get a feel for the place. There are forums out there where combative posting and smack-talking are the rule rather than the exception, and members take delight in getting into flame wars.

This ain't one of those forums.

If you come here - a forum for drummers - and start dissing drummers, and you're not going to get a good reaction.

Chris -

Mr. A, you can't have an ignore button - your commentaries make my day.   ;D

J. Skins

Quote from: stickers on July 13, 2006, 11:58 PM
i've always thought drummers should take proficiency test before they can add another drum to their kit.  Start with a snare, take a test, pass and get the ride, take a test, pass and get the kick, take a test.  this tactic will definely prevent mediocre drummers from having big kits.
I took this as humor and I hope that was the poster's intent.

Actually, that might not be such a bad idea as an approach for an instructor to take with a beginning student: you have to earn the right to play a bigger kit by first mastering (or at least becoming competent at playing) one drum.

However, I can see an experienced drummer getting offended at such a suggestion coming from the guy who's setting up mics around his kit.

stickers

Most of you are assuming I tell these drummers how to set up their kits or change the things I dont like about it and this isn't the case at all.  

bholt, you are just an angry person and I find that sad.  I wish all the best for you.

TMe,  there's a saying in the audio world: You can only polish a t@#d so much.  

As an FOH engineer,  I keep to myself for the most part.  If it's a younger band I may offer more advice.  The more experienced, I don't say much cuz they already know whats up.  

Suprisingly, Many times i've been told i'm one of the nicest sound guys that the bands have met.  And as for my performance as a sound guy,  I get many compliments everytime I work, especially from the band.  

stickers

J. skin,

Good take on my post.

It is humorous and you are right about the instructor idea.   

Big Yummy

Quote from: stickers on July 14, 2006, 09:22 AM
You can only polish a t@#d so much.

True, but that has little to do with, say, the bass disappearing from the PA and the sound tech not noticing until someone in the audience points it out.

Drummers deal with a LOT of sound tech's like that, people who mic' the snare and figure that's enough, people who obsess over slight buzzes and rings, etc.

What kills drummers is when a sound tech of that calibre starts telling them how to set up their gear and how to play.

Sounds like you're just revealing your pent up irritation.  I can see that.  Most drummers are irritating people.  That's why I prefer chatting with other drummers online, rather than in person.  Sound tech's find me easy to work with but I, too, walk away from our discussions swearing under my breath.

(It would be more accurate to say "most wannabee drummers are irritating", just as most wannabee sound tech's are irritating.  Most pro's are... pro's.)

Dave Heim

Quote from: TMe on July 14, 2006, 10:37 AM

. . . Most drummers are irritating people. . .

(It would be more accurate to say "most wannabee drummers are irritating", just as most wannabee sound tech's are irritating.  Most pro's are... pro's.)

Would it, perhaps, be more accurate to say that some drummers are irritating?

swede

What a lively thread! :o

My take: 1-(Before I read the responses) Way too many censor characters ( I appreciatÃ, 
Ã,  the cleaner atmosphere on this forum-that's one reason why this is my onlyÃ, 
Ã, forum membership)
Ã, 2-I read the rants and tried to see if I could learn anything from them bÃ, 
Ã,  focusing on the facts presented, not the presentation (even though I rarely
Ã,  have/get to deal with a soundperson)(I think I can give myself an overall
Ã,  decent grade, except for maybe my cymbals are a liitle too close to my
Ã,  drums-however I do that for efficiency of movement-<a contradiction?>and
Ã,  I'm constantly trying to improve the tuning of my kit.
Ã,  (After I read the responses)
Ã, 3-Yes, you can catch a lot more bees with honey rather than vinegar, or poking
Ã,  a drumstick into their hive, (it makes them buzz real loud) ;)

swede

Yikes! Help me Obi Wan Bart, you're my only computer hope. Sorry for the glitch! I don't know how but I was stuck in post reply somehow??

???and I was so proud of my post, know it's a mess :'(

equipmentdork

As drummers, some of us have definitely dealt with Neanderthal sound guys.  Drums too loud/missing from the mix, kick louder than anything else in the mix including vocals, non-existent/poor monitor mix, etc.  I have board tapes
where someone went berserk with an SPX 90 reverb setting and made my kit sound like it was in the men's room at the Taj Mahal.

Having said that, I doubt I would be doing anyone a service were I to rant on a sub-forum at MIX or any place else. Got better things to do with my time, and I doubt I'd be making any new friends.

Many of us here, I'm sure, do not fit into the categories originally ranted about, and what's more, I'm sure many feel the sound people are part of the team, and feel for engineers that must deal with having to make a badly tuned set sound decent. I do everything I can to accomodate the engineers.

Dan

Dave Heim

Quote from: BIGTIME on July 14, 2006, 12:09 PM
Yikes! Help me Obi Wan Bart, you're my only computer hope. Sorry for the glitch! I don't know how but I was stuck in post reply somehow??

???and I was so proud of my post, know it's a mess :'(

Pretty funny.  It was like Fantasia!   ;D

timibud

I love how threads like these bring out great responses/comments along with a broad spectrum of emotions.

I "Feel Your Pain" Stickers!  :-*

Bart Elliott

Quote from: BIGTIME on July 14, 2006, 12:09 PM
Yikes! Help me Obi Wan Bart, you're my only computer hope.

Actually people call me Qui-Gon Jinn ... because I supposedly resemble Liam Neeson when we both had long hair.

Chris Whitten

Actually stickers I would agree with 90% of your initial post.
Of course I also agree with many, that it might have had more impact if you hadn't patronised the members here.
Put them offside.  :-\
I'm one of those who say's drummers can learn more from soundguys than the reverse. Unfortunately your language is making my job harder.
I think you make too many sweeping generalisations as well.
There are as many drummers with small kits who have no idea how to tune, or when to change heads.
I disagree with your zero-ring statement too.
I use them on snare drum a lot. They don't rattle - I've used them in extremely microscopic recording situations.
The comment on Moongel is also BS. Tape and tissue is much more flexible and cheap.
So why spoil the power of your argument with silly statements?

stickers

Moon gels cost like 5 bucks for a pack of 4.  They last for ever.  You can wash them.  They are easily removed and moveable.  They don't leave marks on drum heads like tape.

Maybe the rings don't rattle on your kit and your rings are in good shape.  But I think once they get bent or slightly damaged they dont sit right and cause rattle.  Moongels don't rattle...ever.

Todd Knapp

Quote from: Riker on July 13, 2006, 12:03 PM
I have to say bad tuning and bad patterns are all I hate.  Actually bad sounds too, like when a set of drums doesn't sound like drums.

Ever heard Gadd's drums up close and personal? They don't sound that great, until he hits them, that is...

pohsoonteng

Quote from: stickers on July 13, 2006, 11:20 AM
1. Drummers with big kits, that take forever to set up, especially drummers who cant play.  (I shake my head, smile and think of my nice 4 pc kit with a ride, crash and hi hat that takes 5 minutes to set up.)
2. Very good drummers who dont tune their drums properly (In turn making them not great. Good tuning is an intergral part of being a drummer, IMO.)
3. Drummers who place their cymbals to close to the drums. 
4. Drummers with nice kits but dead heads and/or @#$$% tuning.  (why spend the money on the kit?, you @##$%! what a waste of wood)
5. Rack mount systems ..ive seen drummers curse and get very angry at them cuz they cant get it into the right position after 10 minutes of adjusting..so sad. (And again,I shake my head, smile and think of my nice 4 pc kit with a ride, crash and hi hat that takes 5 minutes to set up.)
6.  Dampening rings..9 out of 10 of them will rattle. buy moon gels.. they are more flexible, dummy.
7. Cracked cymbals.  Let it go and get a new one.
8. Drummers who dont tighten their kick drum pedal and other hardware..oh let me count the times Ive had to get behind the kit and put the pedal back into place while they are still playing....I'm a trooper, yup.   A few nights ago, a boom arm holding a cymbal let go and the cymbal came crashing down. ha, what an idiot. This is how #7 happens most of the time, im guessing? 

K im done for now!

Edited by moderator.

Watch your mouth - this is a family site, K?

I like everything close to each other on my kit... lol... Will this really be a problem with miking?