• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Speed of sound

Started by 05R6, July 14, 2006, 06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

05R6

I find this rythem very intriguing.And Im trying ti figure out with what hand he is using to play the high tom note,after the second snare hit.Im thinking it must be his left hand,in order to be able to play the H.H. with the and not break up the pattern.I think this groove sounds so complicating,But is really fairly simple in structure,allthough it took a bit of time to figure it out.That tom note is the only thing I havent fully figured out.

05R6

Oh by the way the tune Im refering to is "Speed of sound" by Coldplay....Sorry!.

05R6

Bit off topic .check this out,I found this when i Googled "Florida Drum Clinics"

Drummerworld: Keith Cronin
Roy is a long-time hero for Keith, and performed the first drum clinic ... Playing with Clarence's Florida-based band, Keith has performed all over the ...
www.drummerworld.com/wishlistdrummers/Keith_Cronin.html -

Moose

I love that tune. took me a while to figure it out but haven't had a chance to play it with my band...I'm guessing maybe the setup of your kit might be throwing you off. My thoughts are that there is a tom to the left side of the HH...i could very well be wrong though, but that's the only way I've been able to 'wing" it.

05R6

I spose that could be.I have never seen his set up with a tom on his left..But who knows.Let me know how it go's when you do play it with the band and how it go's.

05R6

Quote from: Moose on July 21, 2006, 09:59 AM
I love that tune. took me a while to figure it out but haven't had a chance to play it with my band...I'm guessing maybe the setup of your kit might be throwing you off. My thoughts are that there is a tom to the left side of the HH...i could very well be wrong though, but that's the only way I've been able to 'wing" it.

I just watched the video  and I think you are right about the tom next to his H.H...But I think its a floor tom and in the intro he's playing 8ths on it and he playing the snare and tom rythm with his left.In the chorus he switches to the ride with his right and plays the snare, tom rythm with his left.Its hard to tell,the vid is very dark.

Joe

It JUST SO HAPPENS that a friend gave me this CD last week, and it turns out to be "X&Y", which would be the album upon which Speed Of Sound resides at track 7.  So, I ran and got it and gave a listen through 1:26.

I would play it the way you described, which is to keep the left hand on the snare and rack tom.  Certainly, though, a player could approach this open-handed when the hat comes into play, thereby allowing for no obstruction when you strike the snare and tom.

As long as you're using decent technique (read: if it doesn't cause bodily harm), you can play it and anything else any old way you feel like, as long as you make it feel good.

Fiery

If your hats are high enough, you should be able to sneak your left hand under your right for the tom hit. Or just learn to play open handed and never get such problems again ;)

05R6

05R6

I will post the vid as soon as I can fiqure out how to compress it.

Chris

Quote from: Fiery on July 31, 2006, 03:02 PM
If your hats are high enough, you should be able to sneak your left hand under your right for the tom hit.

Coldplay did a session that was videoed at Maida Vale studios and I managed to catch it on TV a while back. The drummer, Will Champion (I think), plays a conventional 4 piece kit and does indeed just slip the left hand under the right hand on the hats (you could also try playing left OVER right - go crazy). Nothing too complicated about it!