• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

The "Revival" of Single-Headed Toms- Drum Industry "Conspiracy"?

Started by BigBillInBoston, August 17, 2006, 07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleepybrIghteyez

I love the die hards sticking up for the one sided tom theory. I love the drum sounds of the 70s. Definately one of my favorite sounds. I've had one sided toms for ten years. When I bought this kit (10 yrs ago used), it didn't come with bottom heads or the hardware to use them. I would like to try reso heads on the kit, however I don't currently have the money to buy the hardware and extra heads I need (family stuff always comes first). So I'm working with what I have, and I have my toms tuned to a sound I like. I've submitted myself to expirmentation and threw a home made muffle ring on my 5.5x14 metal snare to get that perfect pssht sound (real tight and poppy). The only odd thing would be my preference to leave my kick unmuffled. I think the open kick goes great with the one sided toms (only batter on kick as well). When I stuff my kick I like to throw more home made rings on my toms to get the super thud, but then the volume on the toms drop significantly which I haven't compromised for yet. I definately associate the one sided tom sound with drum breaks- something I hear bouncing around my head all day.

Louis Russell

Quote from: BigBillInBoston on August 18, 2006, 02:21 PM
Louis, nice uniforms your band had... do you have the same ones today?

Not the same ones, I buy new every couple of years.  I was playing with a country band at the time and one night it was overalls and the next night cochroach stompers and levis--with a hat of course.  Did you notice the work boot on the high hat?

stickers

Is there anyone else here who cringed just by reading the words "Single Headed Toms" in the subject line on this thread?

I know I did.   

felix

Love that pic Louis.  I can't wait to finally meet you at Pasic.

Single headed toms sound phenomenal.  They just need proper miking and mixing.  I wouldn't be surprised if they come back.

I do not prefer dbl heads over single or vice versa.  Just two totally different animals!  I play double heads but have a single headed concert tom on my vistalite kit- it cuts thru everything.

I like single ply silver or black dots on concert toms.  They are ringy and edgy sounding as well as being very loud.  8)

MikeE

I knew if I kept these long enough, they'd come back into style!

They're fun to goof around on, but since about 1985, I much prefer my double-headed drums.  One never knows though...I've got the 6,8,15 &16 stashed away somewhere. Just in case I have to carry the melody on a song...
-Mike

stickers

this may turn into a "what were they thinking" thread.

Chris Whitten

You know, it's just a case of different strokes.
I would never only play single headed toms, but I also don't 'cringe' at the thought of them.
There are some great drum tracks recorded on single headed toms, not to mention heavily damped drums.
Open your mind to some different possibilities.  ;)

felix

Quote from: stickers on August 21, 2006, 01:18 AM

Yeah dude... you don't have the complete picture.  Get or download some tracks off of Black Sabbath's "Live Evil" cd.  Vinnie's drums sound so killer it's unbelievable.  The drums solo is phenomenal on that record as well.

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: stickers on August 21, 2006, 01:18 AM

You're probably right. Why don't you write to us from your tourbus on your next national tour, and share your insights regarding toms?

Chris Whitten

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: Chris Whitten on August 21, 2006, 11:35 AM
Got your Tama's yet Keith?
8)

Yup - they showed up Friday! They look great with the rest of my kit. The heads they came with are pretty dead, so I need to do some experimenting, but I'm digging them!

Chris Whitten

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on August 21, 2006, 11:39 AM
The heads they came with are pretty dead

Sounds perfect!

Just kidding.  ;D

I guess you'll go Aquarian. What were you thinking of trying?

KevinD

Well all this talk of melodic toms has brought back some memories. A few years ago at my folk's house I found my old 8" & 10" concert toms made by Pearl. The finish was a beautiful Rosewood. I got them from Veneman Music (if anyone remembers them) with the clip on stand and black dot heads. My idea was to "build" my drum kit by buying a piece or two at a time which I could afford until it was complete (well I was only 13 and apparently had no instinct to add those costs over time with a calculator, because it would have been a lot more expensive that way.) I only got to the 10" tom. The next year I ended up getting a full set but in a different color.

I only used the melodic toms sporadically for about 6 or 8 months, never had any gigs with them so they are in great shape. Next time I'm up there I'll set them up.

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: Chris Whitten on August 21, 2006, 11:55 AM
Sounds perfect!

Just kidding.  ;D

I guess you'll go Aquarian. What were you thinking of trying?

They came with Clear Focus X heads, which have an internal dampening ring. I find them too dead, so I may just try 1-ply coated heads, depending on what I've got sitting around the house. Clear 1-ply heads are another option, and I may try Classic Clear with Power Dot.

Joe

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on August 21, 2006, 12:58 PM
They came with Clear Focus X heads, which have an internal dampening ring. I find them too dead, so I may just try 1-ply coated heads, depending on what I've got sitting around the house. Clear 1-ply heads are another option, and I may try Classic Clear with Power Dot.

Get some bathtub appliques with the one-ply heads, and do some Three's Company licks. :)

BTW, I love the dampening job MikeE.

Chris Whitten

Quote from: Joe on August 21, 2006, 01:05 PM
BTW, I love the dampening job MikeE.

Yeah.
I was going to say, that's the all time classic set-up. CS Dot heads with strips of gaffa and toilet roll.

Mr A,
I think clear heads would sound great. I went for coated to try and coax a bit more warmth out of the toms. I also chose 2 ply to emulate the fat 70's sound.
I wonder if you'll be able (or should I say allowed) to record with your Tama toms sometime. I'd love to hear the result.

BigBillInBoston

Quote from: Chris Whitten on August 19, 2006, 03:11 AM
I guess I might as well chip in on this discussion.
Firstly, Mr A and myself are leading this concert tom revival.  ;D

N&C have nothing to do with my decision to use concert toms.

Ok...so my "industry conspiracy" theory was wrong... :'(

Sure did turn out to be an active thread though  8).

The above not withstanding...I'll stand by my view that drum companies (as well as every other company that makes product for consumers) are always happy to embrace any trend that they perceive will allow them to profitably sell more product.

BigBill

Chris Whitten

Quote from: BigBillInBoston on August 21, 2006, 04:02 PM
I'll stand by my view that drum companies are always happy to embrace any trend that they perceive will allow them to profitably sell more product.
Ahh well. Why worry about drum companies selling more drums?
Also, why complain if you are offered more choice, like double headed and single headed toms?

jb78

Here's a question for you Chris and others:  Does a drum need to be made a certain way to be properly called a single-headed or concert tom?  I recorded much of our album with the bottom heads off of one or both of my toms -- did I cheat or is that the real thing?

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: jb78 on August 21, 2006, 04:17 PM
Here's a question for you Chris and others:  Does a drum need to be made a certain way to be properly called a single-headed or concert tom?  I recorded much of our album with the bottom heads off of one or both of my toms -- did I cheat or is that the real thing?

It's the real thing.