• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Trouble with practicing.

Started by Tae, August 29, 2006, 06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tae

"(hours) Behind a kit last week? 0. School just started and I'm trying to be more focused on my work. I was also busy trying to make up for lost time on the bass drum because I missed the band camp so I have less time than everyone else to memorize my music. Once I get into the habit of everything I'll be back on. Also I wasn't playing much because, well as much as I hate to say it, I was getting bored. Not with drumming, but with the things I was practicing. I was playing for about 2 hours a day, trying to use Bart's "Fine art of practice" tips (which is what I have based my practice on since I read it) But towards the end of the summer break I would sit there and play the same thing that I did the day before and get bored. I especially had a hard time with Phase 4. I would think it would be fun "jamming" for 30 minutes straight, but it got boring. I don't have a cd or mp3 player to play to so that wouldn't work. I'm going to start getting lessons again so I hope that will spark me. I love drumming but the repetition wears me out."

I posted this in Nutty's topic on how many hours per week people practice. I didn't want to hijack so I'll ask here. Does anyone have any ideas on things to practice that won't get boring, or ways to come up with something new to do every day?

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: Tae on August 29, 2006, 06:07 PM
I posted this in Nutty's topic on how many hours per week people practice. I didn't want to hijack so I'll ask here. Does anyone have any ideas on things to practice that won't get boring, or ways to come up with something new to do every day?

If you're taking lessons, you should be able to find some inspiration there. Also, playing along to CDs is mandatory exercise for student drummers.

Robyn

Hang in there Tae. You might try the "Turn it up and Lay it Down" cds--they are about $15 each online. Esp. the 3rd one is good, as it has both bass and lead guitar tracks, maybe 20 diff. grooves, that you can add your own drum part. And they're good for any level, b/c you can do as much or as little as you want. These really helped my playing, esp. before I had the opportunity to play w/ other musicians. Re: cd players--they are cheap and available.  You could probably get one at Walmart/Kmart for around $25. I use one that was about $35 or so, has a headphone jack and ff/rwd for cd's, plays both cd and tape. That lives next to my kit so I can practice w/ it when I want to.

robyn