• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

zildjian new beats... 35 bucks!

Started by maktub, August 31, 2006, 02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maktub

I'm pretty new to drumming. I've got a ludwig accent custom with some generic hi hats and a generic crash. I'm looking to upgrade just the hi hats (for now) to ether paiste pst 5 rock hats or Sabian b8 pro rock hats. I'm on kind of a small budget. What do you guys think?

I'm editing this. I no longer want B8 pros or PST5's. I'm looking into zildjian new beats. Maybe a ping ride, too. What are good hi hats for a funky, kind of groovy feel?

Dave Heim

Those are both value lines of cymbals, and they're good for beginners.  But not knowing what you're upgrading from, they may not be a really big improvement for you.  I'd look for some good quality used hats on e-bay.  You can usually find lots there.

maktub

Alright. What would you suggest? I don't think I need Zildjian K's or anything like that  ;).

Dave Heim

Quote from: maktub on August 31, 2006, 03:55 PM
Alright. What would you suggest? I don't think I need Zildjian K's or anything like that  ;).

Hard to say, cymbal sounds are pretty subjective.  A lot depends on what you're willing to pay.  You can usually find lots of Zildjian & Sabian cymbals on eBay.  Zildjian New Beat hi-hats are very versatile, very common, and can usually be found at reasonable prices there. 

You may want to hit (no pun intended) the cymbal makers' websites and check out their sound galleries where, although not a 100% true sound, you can get some sort of idea of how various cymbals sound when played. 

Sabian's site has a nice gallery, once you get the hang of navigating it.  Zildjian's site is chock full of "dancing baloney" when you first open it, but once you get past all that, the sounds can be accessed by drilling down to a particular cymbal.  For Paiste, click on the Cymbal Sound Room.

If you have a drum shop near you or a Guitar Center-type retailer, stop by and check the cymbals out.  Nothing beats listening to them up close and personal.

http://www.zildjian.com
http://www.sabian.com
http://www.paiste.com

EDIT: Not every cymbal purchase from eBay results in a bad or cracked product.  Look at the seller's feedback.  Read the seller's text carefully.  I've yet to have a bad purchase from eBay.

maktub

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on August 31, 2006, 04:16 PM
Hard to say, cymbal sounds are pretty subjective.  A lot depends on what you're willing to pay.  You can usually find lots of Zildjian & Sabian cymbals on eBay.  Zildjian New Beat hi-hats are very versatile, very common, and can usually be found at reasonable prices there. 

You may want to hit (no pun intended) the cymbal makers' websites and check out their sound galleries where, although not a 100% true sound, you can get some sort of idea of how various cymbals sound when played. 

Sabian's site has a nice gallery, once you get the hang of navigating it.  Zildjian's site is chock full of "dancing baloney" when you first open it, but once you get past all that, the sounds can be accessed by drilling down to a particular cymbal.  For Paiste, click on the Cymbal Sound Room.

If you have a drum shop near you or a Guitar Center-type retailer, stop by and check the cymbals out.  Nothing beats listening to them up close and personal.

http://www.zildjian.com
http://www.sabian.com
http://www.paiste.com

EDIT: Not every cymbal purchase from eBay results in a bad or cracked product.  Look at the seller's feedback.  Read the seller's text carefully.  I've yet to have a bad purchase from eBay.
Thank you for all your help. I'm thinking about getting these, but I've yet to decide.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250022900967&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015
I'm going to listen to some of the sounds off of the company websites first.

Thanks for all of your help, guys.

Ty Amplechuck

I went with PST 5s and they have a very good sound for how inexpensive they were. I would give them a test if you haven't already.

Mark Counts

For the money and the sound, If I was going with Pro quality and saving money, in my opinion, I would look at the Paiste Alpha Line.  It is up to you if you want to play drums?  If you are looking 20 years ahead, I wouldn't buy cheap cymbals.  Don't waste your time or money if you are planning on playing for years.  Save your money and buy what you want. Go test some before you BUY.
                              Nutty

Danno

I bought a B8 Pro cymbal set a couple years ago, and everything SUCKED except the hats in my opinion. But - the hats were surprisingly good.

That said, I'm with the crowd that says buy Zildjian New Beats on eBay.

maktub

Quote from: drumnut1 on August 31, 2006, 11:14 PM
For the money and the sound, If I was going with Pro quality and saving money, in my opinion, I would look at the Paiste Alpha Line.  It is up to you if you want to play drums?  If you are looking 20 years ahead, I wouldn't buy cheap cymbals.  Don't waste your time or money if you are planning on playing for years.  Save your money and buy what you want. Go test some before you BUY.
                              Nutty

I looked at ebay for paiste alphas and found a set. I almost won, but then the price got too high at the end :(. So now I'm going to the Guitar Center to try out some different hats.

Whats a good hi hat for funk rock? Like the Red Hot Chili Peppers style.

Has anyone tried the new Zildjian ZHT Masersound hi hats?

scottboundy

I hate those Sabian B8s. I'd rather hit garbage can lids.

I bought the Zildjian New Beats of ebay for a good deal. They were used but sound great.

Chip Donaho

I have some high end old cymbals, plus some new Paistes'.....Yesterday I practiced on another guys set which has B8s'....The trash can lid description is being kind.  :P  Save your dough and find some used cymbals higher on the scale.   ;)

Eric

I love my PST5s. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I played a friend's ZBTs the other day... :)

For the price, the PST5s seem to be pretty hard to beat.

maktub

Quote from: Eric on September 10, 2006, 10:29 PM

For the price, the PST5s seem to be pretty hard to beat.
Hopefully no pun intended. Haha.

So I looked on craigslist, and found some zildjian new beats for 35 bucks! I hope they're in playable condition. I just emailed the guy and he has yet to respond. I'll call him tomorrow, too. He's also selling a zildjian ping ride for 40 bucks. Shoud I go for it? I was thinking of offering 60 or 65 for both. What do you guys think?

KevinD

Well,

I'm not sure what market you are in, but $35 for New Beat is a steal, as long as they are real. On EBay New Beat 14 inchers go from $100 to about $160 if they are in good condition.(no cracks or keyholing)

$40 for a Ping ride is a steal as well.  It sounds too good to be true but I would be interesting in hearing how it turns out. 

Rhyvven

I still have my New Beats originally purchased back in 1977 or so. Wouldn't part with them. Also have a nice 20 inch ride, forget model, that weighs aTON purchased at same time. Might have even been a package deal. But then, who remembers, I was only 11.  ;D If you can find quality "old ones", I think you will be happy.

bunn1

New Beats sound pretty good and for 35 bucks thats a steal.  Whatch out though.  I have heard of people getting cracked cymbals off of ebay for cheap and they were advertised as good condition.  Beware of what you buy, Hope it works out for you