• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Can i learn to play?

Started by yasha32, October 29, 2006, 09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Culberson

yasha32,

Are you really using a step-ladder for a throne???   :'(

If so, may I humbly recommend RUNNING, not walking, to your nearest drum shop and purchasing a true drum throne.  Even the absolute cheapest thrones will be a monumental step up (pun intended) from a step-ladder in the comfort department. 

Other than that, congratulations on the kit, the lessons, and continued success playing! 

yasha32

yes i am using a step ladder, id get a throne but I'm low money for a while

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: yasha32 on December 02, 2006, 03:57 PM
yes i am using a step ladder, id get a throne but I'm low money for a while

Do you not have some kind of swively chair in front of your computer you can use? You could be setting yourself up for some pain down the road. Just FYI.

Chip Donaho

When I first started I didn't have a stool for a short time. I sat on the edge of an old wooden chair with a phone book. Even a farmers milking stool would be better than a ladder I would think. It's great you got a set, but keep working on the pad....A pad can be used anywhere. I have a small one in the door of my truck along with some sticks. I've been playing over 40 years and still have my round Ludwig pad from 7th grade. Plus one on a stand from 1966.... I use them all. Not as much as I should, but I sure have learned the value of having it available when I feel the need. Even camping I've been known to sit by the fire with one. The set creates music, but the pad helps learn control of the sticks, fingers, and wrist. They all have their purpose....I'm glad you're having fun. Welcome to the DC group, it's going to be fun to watch both your frustration and progress. Sure, you can learn to play. Just takes desire and patience....The talent level will show over time.   ;)  
Years for some of us, and then you die.   ;D

sjm1112

Quote from: Drumodad on October 30, 2006, 01:07 PM
Yasha32, I would suggest getting a practice pad.
Most of my years playing I was like, a practice pad, why when I have real drums?
Then I took some lessons from Jim Chapin.
It is one of the best tools out there for any drummer.

When I first read this I thought you were saying you had bought a practice pad, liked it and then got lessons from Jim Chapin. I realize now that's not what you meant but it cracked me up because its like saying. "I love flying this cessna on MS flight simulator!" then going out and getting flying lessons from Chuck Yeager. Odd how my brain works sometimes! :)