• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Anyone Play Video Games Here?

Started by Anotherdrummer, November 20, 2006, 06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anotherdrummer

Just wondering if anyone is planning on or has bought any of the new systems recently releases (ps3, wii, xbox360) Tell me what you think about the three, which one will win whatever you want. Thanks a lot!

Gregg Rivers

I play PC games. Mostly BF2 and Doom 3

Dave Heim

No interest in the hyped systems here.  Although I did get a kick out of all the dudes sleeping outside the local Circuit City for a week waiting for the newest whatever-it-was to go on sale.

Fact is, I just don't have the time for video games - cool as some of them are - nor do I want my son parked in front of a TV for hours when he could be outside playng and getting exercise (or learning to play drums from his dad!).

A few years ago I got a kick out of playing PC games like Simm City and Zoo Tycoon.  And I'm not a total ogre...  my son's favorite PC game until recently was Bugdom, and anything SpongeBob related.  :)

Anotherdrummer

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on November 20, 2006, 06:26 PM
Although I did get a kick out of all the dudes sleeping outside the local Circuit City for a week waiting for the newest whatever-it-was to go on sale.

Funny that you mention that. Recently the new playstation 3 system has been released and I was one of those campers you speek of  lol! I waited 32 hours in front of Target and I plan on selling it to make quite a hefty profit so I can you know...... buy more drum gear mabey a cymbal of two. The ps3's are $600 and have an insane shortage which, on ebay, causes prices for one unit to  go from $1000-$2000 a pop! Quite a nice profit, however prices are excpected to skyrocket once it is closer to Christmas of course, which is when I plan on listing it on ebay.

Danno

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I play ONE game (and only the one) on my PC almost every night, and this has been going on for about two years. It's called Age Of Empires II - an older game, but I never get tired of it. And I just have no interest in any of the newer stuff, unless it's one day buying the newer version of AofE.

I should probably note that I'm an old man.

Dave Heim

Quote from: Anotherdrummer on November 20, 2006, 06:35 PM
. . .The ps3's are $600 and have an insane shortage . . .

That "shortage" creates a fear of not getting one for some people, and that creates demand.  The demand helps keep the price up.  The less there is of something the more special it becomes and the more people are willing to pay for it.   

It's like when they tell you at the grocery store that there's a limit of 2 on some "special" item; or when a drum company tells you: "hurry! only x number of these special drumsets will be made!".  It helps create that sense of "must be special, gotta have it".

Nevertheless, I'm glad you got yours.  Good luck on the reselling.  PayPal or USPO check only!  :)

Dave Heim

Quote from: Danno on November 20, 2006, 07:17 PM

I should probably note that I'm an old man.

A brother!  Don't forget to wear your club jacket to the meeting on Tuesday!

Anotherdrummer

Age of Empires hey thats a great game and many gamers will agree! Thats pretty good for an old man lol! jk!  I'm noyt sure but I thought they were planning on making a third instalment to the series! I bet you will pick that one up!

Danno

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on November 20, 2006, 07:22 PM

Tuesday? Dog gone it - that's the night they're putting my new hips in.

Quote from: Anotherdrummer on November 20, 2006, 07:29 PM
Age of Empires hey thats a great game and many gamers will agree! Thats pretty good for an old man lol! jk!  I'm noyt sure but I thought they were planning on making a third instalment to the series! I bet you will pick that one up!

Yeah, they do have a third one out and it's pretty incredible. The DEMO won't even run on my 2001 Dell computer, so I can't buy the game until I get a new computer. But man, I cannot stop playing that older game. Something about it grabs my imagination.

Robyn

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on November 20, 2006, 07:22 PM

Are girls allowed too? Or is it one of those "Get Rid Of Slimy girlS" clubs? :'(

We will probably get a PS3, but when the price goes down. I'm not that much of a sucker!
But the big game around here is an online game called "Runescape"!

http://www.runescape.com

Great fun!! My son loves it (we do restrict how much time he plays), and I play too on occasion, so I can keep an eye on things--altho it's very well-moderated so I'm comfortable w/ it. And all of his friends who play (which is most of them) think that I'm way cool b/c I play too! ;D

robyn

Ziggy

I've recently dug out my old skool NES and spent the past few weekends immersed in Marioworld and Megaman.

I'm a much bigger fan of the old games, I enjoy those quirky blocky graphics and actual playability...

I fear that PS2 & Xbox games etc take up far too much of my life, I can quite easily become obsessed and wave goodbye to months!

-cleans bed sores-

JeepnDrummer

I've been playing Day of Defeat now for about......hmmmm.....whenever the game came out.  I'm guessing that was probably in 2001.  I joined a "clan" about three years ago and we won the championships in three different leagues, two of which were the top divisions and one in the middle division.  We sent a team to the CPL championship in Texas, but got eliminated in the third round.

I don't play as much now, and even then it's probably still too much.  I have no desire to take up any other games because It'll mean something more important won't get done.  :)

Dave Heim

Quote from: robyn on November 20, 2006, 11:45 PM
Are girls allowed too? Or is it one of those "Get Rid Of Slimy girlS" clubs? :'(

Of course girls are allowed!  :)

sleepybrIghteyez

I was a big gamer. A few months ago I took all the games off my PC though because I decided it was taking up too much time away from my music. I love gaming, but I love music more. I do have the Starsiege 2845 ATR installed and am testing it right now. However, I composed part of the soundtrack for that game, so I feel it's my duty to test it when I can. It's pretty fun too. Just prior to taking everything off my PC, my favorite game was BF2. I was thinking of buying BF2142, but I think that $50 should go to my next cymbal. Also, BF2142 has always seemed to me like it borrowed an idea from our SS2845, considering we are being published under the same game company. But that's just my thought...

Anotherdrummer

Seems like we all were gamers at one point, but quit because of lack of time or becoming addicted. You can put me in that same category! I used to play video games all day and night and I never quit and for that my drumming technique and guitar  and schoolwork suffered. I just had to say enough is enough. However, that doesn't stop me from getting a nice profit of the latest systems coming out!

smoggrocks

geez, 2 grand for a video game? i'll put that money toward a caribbean jaunt, thank you very much!

we have a 2-year old xbox [i guess that's ancient in video parlance] that my boyfriend is pretty attached to. i don't go near it. i used to like that wwII game, and a very difficult 'space travel' type game, but i really can't be bothered. plus staring at the tv gives me a headache.

my faves are still the arcade versions of defender, tempest, and i think it was called tetris -- the one where you make all the pieces kinda fit into one another as they come down the screen.

Danno

Quote from: robyn on November 20, 2006, 11:45 PM

We will probably get a PS3...

I reread the club charter just now, and there is a codicil that will allow you to join IF you bring your PS3 with you. Um, wait, there's more...

Uh ...I'll just write the codicil out here to avoid any confusion.

"Codicil 7a.  Be it Resolved, that Women in their Many Forms shalt not take ingress of the Club unless they bringeth propitiation, as amusements, Games, Liquors, or savory Foodstuffs. Two or more of the aforementioned Conditions must be met simultaneously for a Woman to gain admittance to the Club proper, said ingress rescinded once the Commodities are expended."

In other words, bring the PS3 and a snack tray and you can hang.

Gregg Rivers

No girls? Not a club I want to "hang" in! LOL Girls is FUN! ;D

Dave Heim

Quote from: Louderdb on November 21, 2006, 06:21 PM

I move we admit Robyn, Smoggrocks, Lael, Lael's Mom, and Xena for immediate membership.  They may be gals. . .  but they're drummers!  :)

(this is starting to sound like one of those "Man Law" beer commercials)

Danno

Quote from: Louderdb on November 21, 2006, 06:21 PM

The club charter does not exclude PROFESSIONAL girls, such girls as that may, through their training or inclination, offer in trade a libidinous repast for the club members.

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on November 21, 2006, 07:32 PM
I move we admit Robyn, Smoggrocks, Lael, Lael's Mom, and Xena for immediate membership.  They may be gals. . .  but they're drummers!  :)

I second that, but please remember, Thursday nights are ...how do I say this? Thursday nights are off-limits except to those ladies whose occupation ...

Oh, man. Thursday night is hooker night. Any other night would be great.