Topic: How can I get this bass drum sound?  (Read 1011 times)

scottboundy

How can I get this bass drum sound?
« on: December 20, 2006, 04:53 AM »
I am in a reggae band and am struggling with my bass drum sound. I want something with punch and cutting and perhaps not too boooommy.  :o

This is the sound I want (put on headphone for best effect)
 http://www.willowcreekarchery.com/JohnnyBGoode.mp3]http://www.willowcreekarchery.com/JohnnyBGoode.mp3

I have a crappy Shure Beta 91 mike that is heading to ebay next week and looking at the AKG 112 or Audix D6. I have two kits. Mapex PRO M with 18x20 BD and Gretsch with 18x22 (stronger bass sound). Both have Aquarian Super Kick heads and 4" ported res heads. I have felt and plastic beaters. And do not muffle my drums. I will prolly lean toward the 18x22.

I guess my question is what mikes, beaters, heads, muffling etc... would be best and placement etc for a clean punch sound. My bass guitarist plays pretty loud and I get buried if I try to "out-boom" him.

Thanks folks
sb

Bob Bartley

• Cafe VIP
    • Bongobob51
Re: How can I get this bass drum sound?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 07:44 AM »
I'm no expert on this but I think you will get different answers as far as mic placment. BUT I will say that it will depend mostly on how your sound guy eq's and compresses and all the other tricks they do. I would suggest have someone else work the kick and you go out with the sound guy and both of you work on getting the sound you want.

Tony

• Cafe VIP
  • Art is the expression of the self.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 08:53 AM »
As you'll hear and see in the debates on this subject, you might want to try a pillow in your bass drumm.  It will make a noticeable difference.  If you can't get the sound you want before sending it to a board, no amount of compression, eq, or other tricks are going to dial the sound in. 

I tried the Pre-muffled, Pre-EQ'd, wide open kick for a while and it worked very well for acoustic jazz settings, but for a fat, punchy sound, I think you'll find an ordinary pillow will get you what you need.

Ryan Culberson

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 09:00 AM »
Hey scott,

I'm certainly no authority on reggae, but all the songs I've listened to from that genre (Marley, Tosh, etc...) incorporate a significantly muffled bass drum sound, and I suspect the song you provided the link to does as well.  I would try that first, since it is the cheapest method.  

Since you have a ported reso, you can easily add or remove muffling until you reach the desired effect.

Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 11:12 AM »
I want something with punch and cutting and perhaps not too boooommy.  :o
A studio I was in had a pillow just barely touching the kick side head. Then he put a Shure "Betta 52" in the drum about 4" from the kick head on the pillow. It had good punch on the recording. Just last week I had "re-tuned" my front bass head on my DW set. It just didn't sound quite right out front in the audience. Since it was an open jam I waited for someone else to play my set. Then as he played I "backed off" on the front head just a little. That small turn on each lug made a huge change. Now that drum sounds great....   ;)

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram