Topic: Yet another "VS." thread!  (Read 1578 times)

jdown

Yet another "VS." thread!
« on: December 16, 2006, 06:10 PM »
Let me begin by saying that I've checked out many of the other drum forums out there in cyber land and chose this one to pose my question to because the majority of the members here seem very knowledgable and well informed. Also, to the extent of the threads I've read here in Drummer Cafe...it appears to be 100% knuckle-head free!

Here's my problem-   Taye RockPro or Sonor Force 1005?

OR!  should I dish out the extra $100-200 that I'd rather not spend (as I'm buying a house in a month) and step it up to the Taye ProX or Sonor Force 2005?

Guide me with your wisdom.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

• Cafe VIP
    • My Space
Re: Yet another "VS." thread!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 06:17 PM »
The problem with being knucklehead free is you're not going to get a lot of people telling you what to do. The biggest difference between those two kits is the kind of hardware they come with. Felix can tell you everything you want to know about Sonor. I have a friend who endorses Taye and swears by their hardware. I think even uses the ProX for his gigging around town, and it sounds great.

Standard disclaimer: The sound of your kit is almost invariably going to be decided by shell width, shell depth, shell density, quality of head, and quality of tuning. Hardware can play a smaller role and so can you mount your rack toms (Did they drill holes in the BD? Are the toms free floating?). The two things that probably have the least impact on sound to the average ear are type of wood (unless we're talking balsal wood or something with a grain as dense as diamonds) and who made the shells, although more discerning, experienced ears can lay claim to knowing the difference.

Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 09:46 PM »
The other problem is you have to find someone who has heard or played these two specific kits.
More than one person would be good, for the balanced argument. I've heard/played neither.

jdown

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 04:19 PM »
thanks for the input guys.  I'm trying to get out next weekend to play them both which will do wonders for my decision making.  From my experience, I'd say that drums/hardware in the same price point from reputable companies are similar in quality but differ in features.

eardrum

• Cafe VIP
  • It's not too late to get better!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 01:37 AM »
Can't speak to much for the sonor models you're looking at but I have heard some great sonor kits.  As far as the Taye kits go, I think they are very good kits for the money.  The difference between the ProX and RockPro is just the shells. You get the same hardware pack (the medium weight mix) with the standard configurations.  Be sure to download their price list so you can see all the different configurations and the list prices (stores should be able to know off around 40% to compete with the online deals).  Keep in mind you can always get the the shell kit and upgrade to the heavy duty hardware pack without too much extra cost.  Also, I'd compare the hardware on both Sonor and Taye closely.  For example, I'm comfortable with Taye's RIM's style tom mounts but don't have experience with the Sonor TAR setup. One difference that sticks out immediately is that the Sonor TAR mounts are holding the tom by two lugs instead of the four normally used.  They compensate for this by placing a bumper close to the middle of the tom.  Can't tell you that Taye is better since I've never owned Sonor, just different.   Also, Taye is now selling a Dynaton stock head on the kits and I am very impressed with them.  A church recently got a Taye kit on my recommendation and we saved a chunk of money since the stock heads were good we didn't need to replace em. 

Happy shopping..

DRWM

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 11:35 AM »
I just want to chime in and add to eardrum's post. 

The difference between RockPro and ProX really isn't the shells.  The shells are the same, the difference is, RockPro kits are wrapped and ProX kits are laquered, or satin rubbed.  Both are great kits and both are really affordable as has already been said.

On another note, personally, I like TAYE's hardware better than Sonor's.  To me, Sonor's hardware, and drums somewhat, are over engineered.  But Sonor drums do sound good.

I'd say, play and look at both kits and make your decision based on that experience.

eardrum

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 11:13 PM »
.....The difference between RockPro and ProX really isn't the shells.  The shells are the same, the difference is, RockPro kits are wrapped and ProX kits are laquered, or satin rubbed......
Correct, thanks for clarifying:)

jdown

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 08:06 AM »
thanks for the great info.  I researched to crap out of both kits in an attempt to be the most informed consumer possible. I also played the Taye this weekend and was suprised at how well the wrapped shells sounded with upgraded heads.  The hardware was pretty sturdy for being their "D" line...which I believe is at the bottom or very close to it in the line.  I feel like I will be getting the most for my money with the Taye. I appreciate the help and will be snagging the Taye in the next few days...when I decide on a color.

eardrum

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 03:25 PM »
Awesome, post a picture when you can....And Merry Christmas!

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram