Topic: Beginner Questions and Concerns  (Read 1304 times)

YEM

Beginner Questions and Concerns
« on: December 30, 2006, 08:56 PM »
Hey guys:

Just some quick background. I have played guitar for the last 6 years and don't plan on giving it up. However I would like to learn some drums because my friends and I want to start a band and we have no drummer. I have always had an interest in percussion and feel this is the time to learn. I can play simple 4/4 rock stuff, but I don't want to get stuck with bad habits and bad form.

I listen to a wide variety of music and would like to learn to play drums in a diverse manner. I do own a terrible kit, the snares don't work but I could get by with it fine.

My question is: are there any sites (this one maybe) that give drum instruction? I really don't  have the time right now to take lessons. I have a friend who could give me some pointers (he already plays with a band, and he is a great drummer). I don't think he'd give me  "lessons" but he could show me proper form and things.

Any help for a beginning drummer would be of great use. Thanks so much!

Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
Re: Beginner Questions and Concerns
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 10:26 PM »
Well, I admire your ambition.  But I have to admit, I'm always a bit amazed by people who try to pick up the drums quickly because they need a drummer (its only drums. . .  how hard can it be, right?).  Fact is, like any musical instrument, drums can be difficult to learn.  So you may find it difficult to excel without an experienced teacher to correct your bad habits, check your form, provide feedback and positive encouragement, and keep you on track.

That being said, you might check out the educational section of the Vic Firth website for starters.  Also, Bart Elliott, the founder of the Drummer Cafe, offers video instruction.  Send him a PM for more information.

Good luck.

Marcos

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 12:13 AM »
... I really don't  have the time right now ...

Sounds to me that all you really need is a drum machine.

YEM

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 07:43 AM »
Well, I admire your ambition.  But I have to admit, I'm always a bit amazed by people who try to pick up the drums quickly because they need a drummer (its only drums. . .  how hard can it be, right?).  Fact is, like any musical instrument, drums can be difficult to learn.  So you may find it difficult to excel without an experienced teacher to correct your bad habits, check your form, provide feedback and positive encouragement, and keep you on track.

That being said, you might check out the educational section of the Vic Firth website for starters.  Also, Bart Elliott, the founder of the Drummer Cafe, offers video instruction.  Send him a PM for more information.

Good luck.
Trust me, I understand the difficulty of playing drums well. I know I can mess around and do just ine, that is why I am coming here because I understand that I am going to need guidance to go any further. Thank you for those sites. I am not playing just for this band, but I feel as good a time to start as any.

No, drum machines aren't very useful for improvisational music.

Thanks guys for your responses. I am planning on playing seriously if I can just get started. You know? Its that first step.

Thanks again.

Bart Elliott

• Super Admin
  • Founder & Owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 08:11 AM »
We do have a lot of information here at the Drummer Cafe, including my articles and 5-Minute Lessons, but I don't know that this is going to get you where you want to go. There's a lot of free information available on the Internet ... and I personally don't think that there's any one site that will meet all your needs ... even though I wish the Drummer Cafe could.

I really believe you would do yourself a big favor by taking at least a few lessons with a professional drum instructor. I offer custom video lessons for individuals who don't have a local teacher or who want to study with me specifically and can't travel to Nashville.

There's a lot of videos, books and cds on the market that are great resources for learning the art of drumming. There's been a lot of discussion here on the forum as to which materials people have found the most useful. I also have created a list of the top resources that I have found to be the most useful. Do a little searching in the forum as well as the Drummer Cafe website for more info on this.

YEM

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 08:23 AM »
Thanks!

I think I may have found an instructor on a schedule that will work for me.

Thanks for all the info guys, I will get some lessons soon.

YEM

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 03:46 PM »
Is it safe to say that if I get myself some basic lessons, where I can learn proper form, where I can learn time and rhythm, that I am on the good path? I really would like to get into drumming, and I am not trying to do anything the "Fast" way. But at the same time I'd like to get going. So I will seek out lessons, videos etc.

What can I do with a practice pad to help me get going? I can easily pick one up in my town soon to get going.

Darn this is exciting.

Sorry for my newbie talk.

-Jack

Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 03:51 PM »

Is it safe to say that if I get myself some basic lessons, where I can learn proper form, where I can learn time and rhythm, that I am on the good path? . . .

What can I do with a practice pad to help me get going? I can easily pick one up in my town soon to get going. . .

Yep.  You're on the right path.  Your instructor will be in the best position to get you going on the pad - probably with a good exercise book. 

As for what you can do with it - it offers you the means to practice pretty much wherever you like, whenever you like - quietly!  :)

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram