• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

I'm New Here ... (introduce yourself)

Started by Bart Elliott, January 01, 2007, 09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CEing

Hello everybody.
         My name is chong ee or u guys can call me CE or CEing!  ;D I just started to learn drums around 6 months ago. Me and some of my friends who are beginners as well formed a band around the time I started to learn drums, i guess playing and learning with someone u are more familiar with is much more comfortable.  :) Oh by the way i am from Singapore, anyone of u guys from Singpaore too? I came across this forum when i was searching for more information about drums and stuff on yahoo. This is really a good forum seriously. Oh and i have been looking for this book called the 'stick control for the snare drummer' by George Lawrence Stone (guess u guys are quite familiar with this book) around Singapore for ages, i thought it would be quite expensive if i imported it into Singapore (taxes and all that stuff  :-X) and would like to find out if anyone of u guys knows which retailer in Singapore sells this book (I have been to quite a number of bookshops but to no avail  :-\) Thx a lot.

kjbest3339

Hello all, my name is Kevin. I'm new to the forum, so I thought I'd introduce myself. A little about me, I've been into music since I was very young. I got my start in drumming playing concert snare for the school in 5th grade roughly 18 years ago. Before I knew it, I was hooked.

I loved marching band as I got older, as well as concert band. My first taste of drum set playing was for my school's basketball pep-band, and from there, I started my journey. Currently, I'm playing for the band Killing Chloe, which is in the realm of Rock/Progressive/Pop, and I'm having a blast. 

I've been reading some of the articles here, and I'm looking forward to applying some of them to my day to day study, as well as chatting with all of you. This looks like a great site from what I've seen so far. Thanks for having me.

Mark Counts

Quote from: kjbest3339 on December 02, 2007, 02:23 AM
HAHAHAHA, niiiiice! A classic, cliche, noob mistake right out the gate. lol
Welcome to the Cafe Kevin.
                      Nutty

NY Frank

You found the best drum forum on the planet, bar none.

Welcome.

kjbest3339

JeepnDrummer

Welcome aboard everyone!

aztec1

Hello everyone,
I found the forum running a search on some vintage Acrolite information and ended up lurking here for about 3 hours! Great forum here: a nice, more mature crowd and tons of great information. The articles are good too, and have actually motivated me to get out the 'ole practice pad again!

I've only been playing for about 2 years. Got a stencil kit when I could afford to, then sold a kidney and upgraded to a PDP CX after about a year when I realized how much I love drumming. Like some other kids, my formal training consisted of playing my mom's pots and pans with wooden cooking spoons starting at about 8 years old and now here I am 20-something years later with a real kit :)

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Cheers,
Steve

Chip Donaho

I just spent the last half hour reading about all the new people and their gear. I say "welcome" to all the new people. Love that Rogers kit....   8)

Louis Russell

To all the new folks.  You will love it here. 

Lou

Hello everyone ... just wanted to introduce myself after lurking on this site for a while, which I enjoy a lot by the way, not in the least because of the lack of young dogs shouting, screaming and lacking some sense of decent behaviour that you find on so many other websites. Living in The Netherlands, age 48, married and a dad of 2 kids,  never played an instrument before I recently started my attempts learning to play drums ... quite a challenge, but a fun one. A thread  in this forum that started over a year ago by a 63-year young member gave me confidence that in a year or so I will be able to reach a skill level good enough to play in a band with some friends. I tried to teach myself with a stack of books and dvd's but quickly realized that some support from a teacher would be more helpful. I found one but I will go and look for another one ... one who knows about the book " Stick Control" and knows drummers like Gavin Harrison and Keith Carlock  :-\. Well for now I leave it with this introduction ... and say thanks to you for all the inspiration I get here.

LouisM

NY Frank

Welcome.  And it truly is never too late.  Enjoy.

Chip Donaho

Hi Lou, welcome to the DC group. As you can see some of us are experienced veterans, and many others are just beginning. Either way, this is a great bunch of people. Even as a guy who played since my school days, I learn something new all the time. When I was inspired to find a drumming community I couldn't have asked for nicer people to be with. I would love to visit your country, but I doubt that will ever happen. My grandmother was from Norway so I know a little about your country. It's nice to meet you....  :)

Louis Russell

Welcome to the Drummer Cafe!  I know you will love it here.  Don't be surprised if this thread is moved to a different area. 

Chip Donaho

Quote from: aztec1 on December 04, 2007, 09:46 AM
my formal training consisted of playing my mom's pots and pans with wooden cooking spoons starting at about 8 years old
I was wondering where those spoons went.... ;D

Lou

Chip71 ... thanks for the welcome ... and you're right a bunch of nice people here ... Now it seems that besides the fact that there's a lot to learn for me here there is a little opportunity for me to share some info on a non-drum-related topic ....

Norway and the Netherlands have from a geographical and especially geological point of view nothing in common. Norway is a very mountainous ... and compared to the Netherlands a huge country. I can drive from north to south in a little over 3 hours, from east to west in less than 2.5 hours and ... without the risc of a speeding ticket (if there are no traffic jams, well ok 4 hours because there are almost always traffic jams :( ) .... In Norway climate can be extreme with long dark cold winters with lots of snow. The Netherlands ... a small flat rainy and windy (especially from late summer to spring) country ... maybe a couple of days some snow and every decade (if we're lucky) ice on the canals to skate on,  I live 6 meters below sea level about 10 miles from the North Sea, (it feels like Europe's kitchen sink). A storm like Katrina (thank God we don't have those) would probably flood half of the country. No, i'm afraid we're nothing like Norway :).  Nevertheless, the Netherlands is worth a visit, I am sure you would enjoy it ... but be warned, don't expect coffee in our coffee shops .... lol.

Best regards,

Louis

rockthebox

welcome! I am new to this site too and it looks great. I like what everyone has to say and i hope i get some good feedback on what i have to say.

Carn

Hi All!

It seems that somehow my old account got lost during a few renovations to this site & forum, but that didnt keep me from signing up again :) Some of you will probably remember me, but for the one that dont:

I`m 25 years old, study & work & live in the Netherlands (as well). Currently moving out  to a student room so I have to spend less time in traffic and more time behind the kit..as soon as I get a neighbour-friendly one :)

voyager

Hi everyone. I just started playing drums 2 months ago (age 20) and love it. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

-Jon

spdolphs

Haven't sat behind a kit since the mid 1980's. Played guitar all my life, and when I told my wife I wanted to play drums again, she said, "So, what are you waiting for. Go do it."

Long story longer... bought a used kit from a friend, new cymbals, new heads...small investment to see if I still have it in me. Already I am looking to upgrade one piece at a time. If nothing else, it's a great workout!

- Scott

Chip Donaho

Hey, welcome to our new friends that have recently joined. You may never go back to guitar after hanging around here.  ;D