• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

I'm New Here ... (introduce yourself)

Started by Bart Elliott, January 01, 2007, 09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pocket Man

Hi folks.  I've been checking out the forum for quite a while now and it seems like a great community here.  Anyone else on the board from North Carolina?

Chip Donaho

I'm not from that area, but I have been to Reidsville, NC for national motocross racing. Welcome to the best drummer site around.  ;)

DrumBob

This is my first post here at DC, so hello to all. I've been playing drums semi-professionally since the late 60's, and still play in two cover bands, freelancing when I have the time in my schedule. I also play guitar in my own band, The Burgundy Watch.

I have written for Modern Drummer, Classic Drummer, Drumhead, Vintage Guitar, Premier Guitar, Guitar Player, Blues Revue, Blues Access, and many other magazines, and am author of the book, Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties.

There's a lot of practical drumming knowledge I can pass along to younger drummers. Just ask and I'll try and help if I can.

I'm privileged and proud to endorse DW drums, Pro-Mark sticks, and Evans drum heads, and value my relationships with these companies highly.

Dave Kayser

Hello Everyone,

I'm Dave and I've become a drumaholic.  I've only been playing about 3 months and I've really been bitten with this bug and enjoy every minute of it.  I think I got started on a good foot by getting a good instructor.  Right now I probably don't have much to add to the forums (being so new) but I'll contribute where I can.  So far this has been a great resource for me and I've learned a lot from all of you. 

I live around the Springfield, MO area.  I hope to get out the area and see some of you play. 

Thanks the help you given me (just by following the boards) and keep up the great website.

Take care,

Dave Kayser

Adam Zalewski

Hello Drummers,

My name is Adam and I've been playing the drum set for about 13 to 14 years now. Currently majoring in music education at a small private college called Concordia University and studying percussion and drums with Sean Dobbins in Ann Arbor, Michigan. My main focus right now is trying to get my mallet and music reading chops up to par. Iv'e had an account here before I felt it was time to return and see what else I can learn from the community. Good to be back!

Petar Cvahte

Hi everyone!

My name is Petar Cvahte, I'm 32, playing drums for 15 years now. Also majoring in architecture. I live in Zagreb, Croatia. I'm a session drummer, play in 2 bands, and giving instructions for beginner drummers. Don't need to say I'd play drums for the rest of my life, provided I always had a little bread and water ;)

I'm hoping to push my drumming to another level soon, although I can't rally explaint what it means.

Jeremy Warren

Hey everyone, I am also new. I probably should have been apart of this a long time ago. I am 27 years old originally from Louisana. I now live in Midd Tenn area. I am a professional drummer. I tour with Broken Bow Records artist James Wesley. I also road manage for Wesley. I do session work as often as I can, and I teach one day or two days a week when not touring or studio.

I love vintage drums, I collect and restore them as a hobby. I love football, mainly college football. I am also a fantasy football freak.

I am blessed to be able to live my dreams. I make a living by doing what I always dreamed of since I picked up the sticks over 12 years ago.

I play Gretsch and Ludwig drums. I have endorsements with Soultone cymbals, and Innovative Sticks. If your not familiar with either one I would recommend you check them out. Innovative Percussion is one of the best kept secrets in the sticks world... in my opinion!

great to be here and talk drums with drummers!! Thanks Bart, cool site!

Bart Elliott

A big welcome to all of our new Drummer Cafe members!

I'm looking forward to seeing how your DNA mixes in to make this an even stronger community of drummers and percussionists.

Federico Taraschi

Hello everyone!
I'm an italian drummer!
I'm new here and would like to introduce myself to everyone with the photo of my drums and my recent cover!

My Drum Kit:

Drum Sound Evolution  Series:
Size: 22x18,5 - 14x5 - 8x6 - 10x7,5 - 12x9 - 14x12,7 - 16x14,5
Colours&Finishes: SO20 Urban Copper/Gold/Black

Cymbals:
Hi-hat Paiste Signature 14"
Crash Paiste  Sound Forumula 16"
Crash Paiste Signature Full 17"
Crash Paiste Signature Power 18"
Chaina Paiste 802 18"
Ride Zildjian ZBT 20"
Max Stax Sabian 12"
Splash Sabian AA 10"
Splash Sabian Max Splash 7"
China Splash Sabian AA 8"

Hardware Pearl Rack / Tama / DW

The cover is a song taken from the Pearl Jam's album: "Backspacer". The song is UNTHOUGHT KNOWN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkUDNLWbWts#ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkUDNLWbWts#ws

Are welcome advice of any kind...

Hope you like it! :)

Bye bye...[/font][/size]

Jon E

Eskil Sæter

I'm not technically new here, but I haven't posted here for many years now, so a proper introduction is in order.

I'm  http://about.me/eskil.seter]Eskil , 31 years old from Bergen, Norway. I play drums in two rock bands,  http://www.luckylewmusic.com]Lucky Lew  and  http://www.malice-in-wonderland.com]Malice In Wonderland .

I've been a drumming fanatic all my life. I have no idea where the interest came from, but I can clearly remember making a drum kit on my bed consisting of books, pan lids and various other things and banging on them with my mom's knitting needles at a very young age. My parents got me one of those plastic toy drumkits at some point (which I destroyed very quickly) and then moved me up to a proper kit a little while later. This would have been in the late 80s, and the kit was an ancient, beat up Remo kit. I had no idea what I was doing, although I did manage to emulate some basic rock beats without any form of guidance other than listening to my cassette tapes.

At about age 14, I figured that guitar was much cooler, so I sold (or gave away, I can't remember) my crappy kit (which I'm sure my parents were more than happy about) and started playing guitar. At this point, my drumming skills were still pretty much laughable, so I'm pretty sure the world didn't miss much. I played guitar for a few years, and I got reasonably prficient at it.

However, my first love was still drumming, and by this point I'd really started to watch and listen to drummers very intently. When I was 22, my college roommate bought himself a Roland TD-8 electronic kit, and after a few weeks I was playing it a lot more than he was. The spark was rekindled. The other factor that kicked me back into drumming was that around the same time I had really run out of money, and I found myself having to sell all of my guitar gear.

So, fast forward another couple of years and I had moved to Australia to study abroad for a few years. I met another musician in one of my classes, and we started a coverband, just for the fun of it. This was the first band I played in as a drummer, and although I still had a lot to learn about playing with others and playing live, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

In late 2006 I moved back to Norway, and after a while I found myself a band called Lucky Lew, and a couple of years later I joined another band called Malice In Wonderland. Lucky Lew recorded and released our latest album in 2010 (see  http://www.drummercafe.com/forum/index.php/topic,19976.msg296440.html#msg296440]this post  for a couple of tracks from that album), and Malice In Wonderland are currently mixing our second full length album which will (hopefully) be out later this year.

So yeah, that's me.

Summary (tl;dr): Rock & roll meathead from Bergen, Norway, hitting things with sticks  ;D

And to finish off, one of my many drummerfaces:

Kathrine Almlie

Howdy all...I'm not so new here, but have been absent for a good spell.   I'm a Ludwig nut and really dig the Chicago Drum Show.  I record, teach, and just about anything I can do to keep drumming on a regular basis.  See you in cyber space!  ~Kat

biggator

Howdy folks..
Some of you may recognize me from some other online haunts, but I'm new here.

Hope to find a cool place to hang.
"-)

Kathrine Almlie

Howdy Biggator...I've seen you somewhere before :)  ~K

Michael Smalley

I'm Michael. Michael Smalley. Or just Smalley as many have taken to calling me. Yes. That is my real last name. Yes I've had many many teasing sessions throughout school with it...What? I don't see what /that/ has to do with /this/!!! I thought I got rid of all the photographic evidence anyway....and no...they didn't press charges that time...I...umm...

Anyway!

I'm 30 as of last December. I've been drumming since I was five years old. My Dad was a drummer. I'm a drummer. My brother is a drummer. My eight year old daughter is showing interest and promise as well! Speaking of which. I'm married to a wife who manages to put up with me named Brandi, and a very odd child named Chloe.

I've been in three "serious" bands. My longest stint is with one my friend and I started: Warehouse 86.

I've been into computers since sixth grade, and I find them, like drums to be oddly calming. It's like my mind slows to normal. I've been designing webpages back in the days of AOL and Prodigy when 5 megs of webspace was worth more than Brittany Spears underpants on eBay. So...I've taken that...and I contract myself out with it. Computers, web and graphics design.

I've taken a real shine to graphics design...always have. Hell, the first time I really did anything graphical was changing a scanned in report card for an ex-girlfriend. *whistles innocently* I enjoy using my capabilities and my undiagnosed ADHD and coming up with new designs for everything I can for my band. I just finished the graphics for our upcoming E.P. "Rusted Memories", designed a new band logo, (slight change), and even finished out a running "thing" we have with using some sort of gasmask I designed as sort of a logo. I just finished the order for the custom football jersey bearing such.

I've been doing ranting articles since the inception of Geocities, and I've had my own domain to post up whatever I please (usually rants, raves, random stuff I and my friends thought was funny) for a little over a decade. I write it to vent, laugh, and share in other's frustration and give them something to nod in agreement about. Plus I just find it fun and funny. Nothing better than that.

I collect Transformers. Still. I'm not a hoarder. I swear! Those 16 30 gallon tubs of boxed and unboxed Transformers seperated by series and generation means nothing! As you can see...I may also be insane. I'm not sure. The medicine seems to help with some of it...but I'm like Murdoc of the A-Team. Can't tell if I'm really crazy, or just doing it for my own entertainment.

I (well..my daughter lays claim to them too!) currently play on a PDP X7 Red Sparkle Fade kit. This is my third PDP set. I love them. I use Tama Ironcobra Pedals and Hihat stand, and Roadpro Boom Stands. I play on Zildjian cymbals. *kisses his babies*

Yeah... I think I just revealed enough to make people look around cautiously. Heh.

Nice to be here. Nice to meet you. 

Todd Vierra

Hello all!!!, my name is Todd and i live in Alaska,i am a studio owner and studio drummer,i love to track all i can,and, when i can ha ha ,looks like a cool place here to hang out,ps Todd
my Band  http://www.myspace.com/mk800]http://www.myspace.com/mk800

Louis Rushton

Hi all, it's been a long time sense I've posted anywhere. My work (a real job) LOL has put me in school for the past several years, but I have finished and passed my state test. YaY I now am able to get back to drumming, and reading more drum sites, hopefully to join in again. A lot has changed even this site, some sites have passed and no longer exist, so congrats to Bart. Also people are catching up to ideas in drum equipment improvements, I hope to still lead. I look forward to the future and this site, so hello again.

donelk

Edwin Francis

Hi guys!

My Name is Edwin, I'm from Singapore! and no we're not from China, and yes we speak, write and study English as our main language! But we have a local slang called "Singlish" which you will experience either meeting a Singaporean, or being in Singapore! It's something, that's just there, but isn't actually encouraged. And yes, we're a country on our own! I'm also a dyslexic, so mind the horribly grammar or lack or vocab or whatever =p

Anyway, I started getting serious about drumming this year, about 2 months ago. What inspired me was seeing so many great local drummers of the same age as me jazzing up the kit and also shred it apart with their awesome chops, and make the kit sound so alive and all. Being so tight with their band and the music... Which really made me go "gosh, I have to be able to do that one day, it'd be so awesome and fun!" and well I kind of fell in love with musical theatre too after watching Wicked the musical! =P. Which kinda led me to... well research on how one makes a break into the Broadway Orchestra Pit as a drummer, which I as of now do not know if that's a feasible dream =p seeing as where I stand technically as a drummer, plus my age (19/20 years old), Singapore's musical theatre scene, my lack of Orchestra experience, which also means I don't really know how to follow a conductor and knowing that I have to be super good at what I want to do, and be able to read a chart/score sheet as if I'm reading my ABCs or something like that.

So I guess it's been an interesting journey, as I started off a few years ago when my older brother got his drumset, and yes he's a drummer too =P but he's more a of musician then I'll ever be as he plays guitar and stuff too, which makes it pretty fun when he's back home (he's currently studying aboard which leaves the drum set at my mercy), we can jam together and stuff, when we're both bored at home.

I learned playing by ear and was playing open-handed, without knowing it wasn't your typical way of playing, and now I'm sitting down trying to re-learn everything, learning how to read and count not doing a Right-Hand-Over-Left thing when I play on my ride, getting a teacher and stuff like that. I'm really enjoying it! The challenge and the frustration. All that gets me excited, every lesson I go to, is almost as good as going for my first driving lesson! That kind of trill. Except that you don't have to worry about crashing the car or something, which makes it more fun =p

Well to end off, as you guys can probably guess, I'm here to learn more about drumming from you guys, and hopefully one day I'll be able to give back to the drumming community here.

Cheers!
Edwin

Patrick Quigley

Hey everyone, I haven't been around for a long time but I'm hoping to visit a bit more often again. So... hi again. Excited about the chicago show!