• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

How conversations end [observation]

Started by smoggrocks, January 10, 2007, 04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoggrocks

i find it interesting how conversations in cyberspace [eg, 'threads'] come to an end. because no one ever says, 'okay, conversation ending!' [unless it gets locked]. they just come to a close naturally.

it reminds me of musical conversations, actually. solos and songs. it seems there's this magical point in time where it just feels right to cut things off. sometimes that's 20 minutes. sometimes its 2. i used to really enjoy watching my b.friend take a solo when we were playing together, coz i felt like i could read where he was gonna go next, and when he was gonna go there. and in thinking of recorded tunes performed live, it's interesting to see where and how the artist decides to cut the tune, when it was a regular fade on the cd. 

i have a chum who i find really lacking in this area. she seems very un-attuned to how this works in day-to-day email chit-chat. the conversation will start, build, then end, but she always has to send ONE MORE EMAIL that just says, 'ok,' or 'yeah.' kinda kills the whole vibe.

anyhow, just an observation.   

[now watch. no one will reply to this and i'll feel extra stupid] :-X

Dave Heim

Quote from: smoggrocks on January 10, 2007, 04:09 PM
i find it interesting how conversations in cyberspace [eg, 'threads'] come to an end. because no one ever says, 'okay, conversation ending!' [unless it gets locked]. they just come to a close naturally.

it reminds me of musical conversations, actually. solos and songs. it seems there's this magical point in time where it just feels right to cut things off. sometimes that's 20 minutes. sometimes its 2. i used to really enjoy watching my b.friend take a solo when we were playing together, coz i felt like i could read where he was gonna go next, and when he was gonna go there. and in thinking of recorded tunes performed live, it's interesting to see where and how the artist decides to cut the tune, when it was a regular fade on the cd. 

i have a chum who i find really lacking in this area. she seems very un-attuned to how this works in day-to-day email chit-chat. the conversation will start, build, then end, but she always has to send ONE MORE EMAIL that just says, 'ok,' or 'yeah.' kinda kills the whole vibe.

anyhow, just an observation.   

[now watch. no one will reply to this and i'll feel extra stupid] :-X

ok

smoggrocks

exactly.

why youuuuuu little.............!!!!!

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

As someone who ALWAYS has something else to say or write, I find myself conciously avoiding over-posting on a subject. I hate it when I dominate a thread just because I have the time and a penchant for saying the same thing 10 different ways. I've purposefully walked away from threads where I had more thoughts just because I felt everyone has a limit on how much input they'll receive from one person. I'm sure I cross that threshold on most threads.

I also enjoy when threads get diverted when everything has been said on the title, because I'd rather discuss the diversion based on the same train of thought that inspired it than start a new thread reintroducing the concept. OTOH, most people HATE off-topic conversations because they only have a little bit of time to wade through the topics that most interest them. I try hard to keep that in mind, too.

I guess there's never really any satisfying end to a thread for me. Just a forced motive to look for something else to comment on.

I'm like that woman at the party talking where George S. Kaufman suddenly interjects: "Madam, do you have any unexpressed thoughts?"

Larry Lawless

Not sure where this quote is from, but it seems apropos:

"Some pieces of music go on too long after the end."

Louis Russell

Quote from: L Lawless on January 10, 2007, 05:25 PM
Not sure where this quote is from, but it seems apropos:

"Some pieces of music go on too long after the end."

Actually the quote is "Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end." - Igor Stravinsky (1882-1971).  And, that is the truth more than I like. 

David Jung

Riker

TheBeachBoy

William Leslie

Dave Heim

sjm1112

"...must fight urge to continue thread...."    :-X

I give up

I hear ya....

Bob Pettit

Quote from: Louis on January 10, 2007, 09:22 PM
Actually the quote is "Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end." - Igor Stravinsky (1882-1971).  And, that is the truth more than I like. 

Pop 40 has this down to a science, 2.5 minutes and out....

Quote from: smoggrocks on January 10, 2007, 04:09 PM

This sort of thing can hold true in face to face conversation. I feel akward at times, once we said what we've said, then what? Say goodbye and walk out? Just walk out without saying more?

Sometimes I feel my own language fits me like a poor suit of clothes. Culturally I don't watch TV, follow sports, haven't seen the latest beer commercial or have a clue who made the big touch down. People laugh at jokes I don't get, cause you got to be hip to what happened on the comedy show last night.

I have good communication skills, but have learned it really matters who I'm speaking to. I was brought up small town Oregon, kind of slow talking, taught to shut up and listen when others speak, not interupt. I was taught/consider interuption rude, and usually shut up myself then, listen to the interuptor, not get my point across. I often walk away from a conversation feeling I could tell you what the other person said, but they couldn't me.

So, this is why I like drum sticks instead of lips!

I'm leaving now. See you later. Bye.

chefdoug

So are we done here?

I'm going now.....

really...I am.......I swear

Drum Slave Jack

Danno

Quote from: bongo on January 20, 2007, 10:04 AM
I have good communication skills, but have learned it really matters who I'm speaking to. I was brought up small town Oregon, kind of slow talking, taught to shut up and listen when others speak, not interupt. I was taught/consider interuption rude, and usually shut up myself then, listen to the interuptor, not get my point across. I often walk away from a conversation feeling I could tell you what the other person said, but they couldn't me.

So, this is why I like drum sticks instead of lips!

I'm leaving now. See you later. Bye.

Okey-dokey.