• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

How conversations end [observation]

Started by smoggrocks, January 10, 2007, 04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjm1112

Yeah...did you get the memo? We are using the new cover sheets on the TPS reports....yeah..

David Jung

David Jung

yves

Hey all!

I'm new here..... I've been to the site before but never took the time to participate in the forums.

I decided to sign up.

I'm 31 years old, have been playing for 19 years. I've played in a variety of acts... Thrash metal (back in the day...  ;) ), Classic rock, prog rock, top 40 rock,  blues, country (that's right), jazz, gospel... been trying to learn to play (with feel of course) latin rhythms. I love latin jazz type stuff. I love music in general...

I've played many different live scenarios, like support for an Elvis impersonator, a Roy Orbison impersonator (that was super cool.... the Elvis guy was too)...

I have not been playing live very much recently... but highlights from last year were playing an  http://www.ecma.ca/]ECMA 2006  main stage showcase and also playing a  http://www.junoawards.ca/]Juno 2006  showcase.

I've been putting a new band together over the last several months called  http://www.myspace.com/redsandtribe]Red Sand Tribe  (you can hear some tunes here on our bass player  http://www.myspace.com/garthblake]Garth Blake's  page..... I am not on those recordings.)

Anyways.... cheers!

yves

Ah crap... I clicked on the wrong link for my first post...

What a great first impression!

:o

Danno

Quote from: yves on February 19, 2007, 08:40 PM

That's okay, Yves! Listen, I personally have never made even the slightest error here at Drummer Cafe, but others here have made many grievous errors indeed, most of them much more horrible than your innocent faux pas. I have these numerous mistakes catalogued if you're interested - send me a PM. I name names.

All right.

yves

Quote from: Danno on February 19, 2007, 09:35 PM
That's okay, Yves! Listen, I personally have never made even the slightest error here at Drummer Cafe, but others here have made many grievous errors indeed, most of them much more horrible than your innocent faux pas. I have these numerous mistakes catalogued if you're interested - send me a PM. I name names.

All right.

That sounds like a great deal.

;D

memfodrumma

Quote from: yves on February 19, 2007, 08:40 PM

You know, making a mistake like that is kinda like a great blues singer clearing theirthoat before they begin wail a great blue tunes. Yeah it sounds bad but what comes after should be awesome........ Welcome to the forum

smoggrocks

**folds arms, taps foot**

SO --

given that it was the main thrust of this post, does anyone have thoughts on 'the musical conversations' aspect? that was really my point.

if not, i nominate closing the thread, so we don't eat up bart's $$$

[not being beyotchy, just mindful!] ;)

Dave Heim

Quote from: smoggrocks on January 10, 2007, 04:09 PM
. . .
it reminds me of musical conversations, actually. solos and songs. it seems there's this magical point in time where it just feels right to cut things off. sometimes that's 20 minutes. sometimes its 2. i used to really enjoy watching my b.friend take a solo when we were playing together, coz i felt like i could read where he was gonna go next, and when he was gonna go there. and in thinking of recorded tunes performed live, it's interesting to see where and how the artist decides to cut the tune, when it was a regular fade on the cd.. . .

Ah yes, you mean the point quoted above!  :)

I agree that it seems songs often tend to find their way out.  But I've heard plenty that seem to go on too long - as if they don't know where to end.  American Pie comes to mind.  Nice tune, but it just kinda drones on after a while.  Any other endings - good or bad - come to mind?

smoggrocks

thanks, dave!

american pie is a good eg, though i do like that.

honestly, i think some of the tunes in my new band are longer than necessary. i don't really like repeating verses and choruses add infinitum.

but at least they 'build'!