Topic: Is the custom drum market saturated?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline 3rdEYE

• Cafe VIP
  • Maine drummer
Is the custom drum market saturated?
« on: January 29, 2007, 01:52 PM »
What does everone think about this statement? Are there too many custom drum producers out there, whether it be just snare drums or full kits?
Setup: Yamaha Oak Custom/ 3x13 Black beauty/ dw 6x10 side snare/Sabian AA Regular hats/ Sabian AAX Studio Crash 17in/ Zildian 22 ping ride/ Istanbul 18 Crash/ Zildjian A Rock Crash/ Sabian HH Leopard Ride

Offline Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
Re: Is the custom drum market saturated?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 02:26 PM »
Does it matter?
I guess the law of the market dictates.
If custom drum builders can't sell their drums they will cease to trade.
In the meantime, more custom shops means more choice for us.

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 02:46 PM »
If custom drum builders can't sell their drums they will cease to trade.

And maybe even lower the prices a bit to compete. 
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

sleepybrIghteyez

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 06:22 PM »
I've been looking for a new snare lately and realized that all the cool (mostly custom) snares are way out of my price range. I'm pretty shocked they cost so much. I can understand a few hundred dollars, but the ones that go from several hundred to a thousand just blow me away. Don't get me wrong, they are quite beautiful drums but that is a lot of money for one. I think it's great so many custom companies are out. It's nice to see something other than the same old finishes and I bet they sound amazing. I just wish I could afford them!

I want to get into more custom finish work, focusing on snares. I've had one recent success, one that is almost finished, and a third I'm about to start. I love to paint and I love to drum. Even if I'm the only one playing the ones I draw on... it should be fun.

Offline James Walker

• Cafe VIP
    • malletjazz
    • www.malletjazz.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 07:33 PM »
The market is saturated when it comes to the generic "tell us your specifications, and we'll build a drum for you" kinds of drum companies.  What the market might welcome, IMO, are more builders who opt to craft drums to fit a particular niche - drums with their own personality.  Something that makes buyers think, "I want to buy a drum (kit) made by the Gazoo Drum Company." 

You go to Johnny Craviotto if you want a Craviotto snare drum (or if you have the coin, one of his amazing drum kits) - you don't go to Johnny C if you want "...gimme a 10-ply Keller shell, with ten tube lugs, die cast hoops, Puresound Blaster wires, a Trick throw..."  Someone who can achieve that type of "company personalitiy" in their instruments, along with the requisite quality, could make their way.  Bring something unique to the market.

Generic "tells us what you want and we'll do it" builders?  There are already too many of those.

In terms of the price point of some "custom" snare drums, that's a big reason why I've taken to DIY drum building.  For $200-300 in parts, I can make a drum that might cost several hundred dollars more if I were to buy it in completed form from a given "custom" shop.

As always:  IMHO, IMHO, IMHO...
"I played with Holdsworth, Fripp, and Belew...I wish we drummers could play that differently. Drummers are starting to homogenize into the same guy, which frightens me." - Bill Bruford

Offline Todd Norris

• Cafe VIP
  • Psalm 150:5
    • Fusion Drums
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 08:09 PM »
I agree, there's a ton of makers basically just putting graphics on Keller shells.  However, when James referred to a "unique" product, I may have something to market in the near future.  See this link below. 

Have you watched the video of DW's Acoustic EQ snare?  The difference between wide open and closed is quite noticable.  I like the idea because I'd be able to from a tight pop to an open thick sound within a second without having to switch drums or keep two snares set up on the kit.  It would be quite useful for my Church setup. 

I'm trying to find out more info on these because my buddy said he can make a mechanism to achieve this.  However, in order for this to be cost effective, we would need to build and sell several more to make up the cost of the machine he needs to do the work.  He is working on a design to accomplish what these drums do, but will keep us out of harm's way with patent infringement.  Therefore, I'm trying to get him some more info to work with, but I also need to know whether or not there would be any demand for this mechanism if we offered at a lower price.  One of my friends immediately said he wants one, so there's one sale...  I figure we can make them in our spare time and offer them on Ebay as we complete them.  So, if any DC'ers will chime in with thoughts about demand for this, I would appreciate it. 

From this thread: 
http://www.drummercafe.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,19/topic,20201.0

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!