Topic: Community Solo ... it's that time again!  (Read 6464 times)

Mark Counts

• Cafe VIP
  • It is OK to be a little Nutz!!!
    • Mark T. Counts
Re: Community Solo ... it's that time again!
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2008, 12:49 PM »
I am not at home Frank but I think I bought the Zoom MRS 1608.
                 Nutty

Bob Dias

• Cafe VIP
  • mmmmm...staves
    • Ugly Rumor
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2008, 03:54 PM »
+1  with the groove...
With mics and a recording interface this time, I have no excuses...
Time to put the rotos on the rack and belly up to the HH/Sn/Bass.
Just let me know when and how...Bob

Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2008, 04:16 PM »
Chip, presonus has a firewire interface and cubase LE software for $119.  Wow, that surprised me.
I was just reading about that unit. But they said it wouldn't be able to record drums. Is that because of inputs? Would I be able to run my mics into my PA head, then into the recording unit?
I'm not much for understanding things like this. But I do have a son-in-law who's a sound man. Maybe he could tell me if it would work. I know, I'm a recording moron....  :-\

amoacristo

• VIP / Subscriber
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2008, 11:05 PM »
I was just reading about that unit. But they said it wouldn't be able to record drums. Is that because of inputs? Would I be able to run my mics into my PA head, then into the recording unit?
I'm not much for understanding things like this. But I do have a son-in-law who's a sound man. Maybe he could tell me if it would work. I know, I'm a recording moron....  :-\

That was a guy reviewing saying that you couldn't record drums with it but he was just meaning that you would need more inputs to be able to record drums well. I think you could do well recording with 4 inputs. If you need more, you can daisy chain them it says for up to 16 inputs. With 4, I would mic the snare, bass drum, and then do 2 overhead mics. It is going to be hard to beat that for that price.

Bart Elliott

• Super Admin
  • Founder & Owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2008, 11:14 PM »
With 4, I would mic the snare, bass drum, and then do 2 overhead mics.

I would just go with a mic on the Kick drum and two overhead mics. Placing a mic on the Snare without micking the Toms always seems unbalanced to my ears ... and I typically end up muting the Snare track. The two overheads will do a great job on the Snare, Toms and Cymbals ... and the Kick mic will fill it out nicely. Obviously do what works and sounds works best to you.

amoacristo

• VIP / Subscriber
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2008, 01:10 AM »
I would just go with a mic on the Kick drum and two overhead mics. Placing a mic on the Snare without micking the Toms always seems unbalanced to my ears ... and I typically end up muting the Snare track. The two overheads will do a great job on the Snare, Toms and Cymbals ... and the Kick mic will fill it out nicely. Obviously do what works and sounds works best to you.

I agree with you, I usually do the same thing when I did that set up but always recorded with a snare mic anyway just in case I decide I want it. I would add it just because I can because in my opinion it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

diddle

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2008, 01:25 AM »
Sounds like I need to let go of the whole video taping thing.

good idea... you'll get more participation!

JeepnDrummer

• Cafe VIP
  • Ding, fries are done!
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2008, 04:01 PM »
That was a guy reviewing saying that you couldn't record drums with it but he was just meaning that you would need more inputs to be able to record drums well. I think you could do well recording with 4 inputs. If you need more, you can daisy chain them it says for up to 16 inputs. With 4, I would mic the snare, bass drum, and then do 2 overhead mics. It is going to be hard to beat that for that price.
If I correctly read the description of the interface, only two of the inputs are balanced.  The other two are unbalanced 1/4" inputs.  It seems the price went up on that unit since Felix posted about it.

amoacristo

• VIP / Subscriber
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2008, 09:20 PM »
If I correctly read the description of the interface, only two of the inputs are balanced.  The other two are unbalanced 1/4" inputs.  It seems the price went up on that unit since Felix posted about it.

True on both accounts. You can convert from balanced to unbalanced though. It isn't a piece of equipment you would see in a major studio, but I think a person that was willing to put some effort into using it would be able to get some descent results out of it.

Anthony Manning-Franklin

• VIP / Subscriber
  • Purple!
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2008, 12:54 AM »
There is the alesis io6 or whatever it's called, I think that has 4 preamps,  or the presonus FP10 if u want 8 preamps.

sphykik

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2008, 07:04 PM »
Count me in! A groove based solo sounds great  ;D

Gaetano Nicolosi

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
    • Gaetano Nicolosi
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2008, 11:39 PM »
Ok,
Count me in too. Groove solo or whatever I can't miss the community solo, it will be History  ;D

NY Frank

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2008, 01:11 PM »
... I can't miss the community solo, it will be History  ;D

Especially with me in it this year, right?     ;)    ;D

Seriously folks - I'll do my best to not Mess It Up Too Much.     :)

felix

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2008, 02:54 PM »
Gaetano, you kill me  ;D  His solos are always a work of art.

Frank I'm sure your solo will be a force to be reckoned with  :)

The solo never really has a competitive vibe and quite frankly I'm surprised we still do it since it sorta started as a "hey we should all have a communal solo".  But here we are and this is the fourth one already?  Wow.  It's always fun. 

Gaetano, my solo this year is going to be my best yet- I have been so in the zone bro!

AutoCrat

• Copper Member
  • drumpag.blogspot.com
    • Drummer PAG
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2008, 09:13 AM »
I participated the first year, it will be fun to try it again this year!

I just hope that the limit date to submit our work will be in a couple of weeks since I'm moving from my appartment to a brand new home and thus won't be able to record until june or so :-/

Gaetano Nicolosi

• Cafe VIP
    • Gaetano Nicolosi
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2008, 10:00 AM »
Gaetano, you kill me  ;D  His solos are always a work of art.

Frank I'm sure your solo will be a force to be reckoned with  :)

The solo never really has a competitive vibe and quite frankly I'm surprised we still do it since it sorta started as a "hey we should all have a communal solo".  But here we are and this is the fourth one already?  Wow.  It's always fun. 

Gaetano, my solo this year is going to be my best yet- I have been so in the zone bro!

Felix,
I am sure your solo will amazing! I can't wait to hear it, as well the rest of participants.

felix

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2008, 11:23 AM »
*boom boom CHA boom boom CHA*  Amazing!   ;D

Gaetano Nicolosi

• Cafe VIP
    • Gaetano Nicolosi
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2008, 01:29 PM »
Exactely! That's what I'm talking about!

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram