• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Acoustic Drums For Worship

Started by mid life crisis, February 17, 2007, 08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mid life crisis

We rehearsed tonight using my new chestnut fade catalina birch kit in church for the first time.  Wow!  As I mentioned, I've been working with my teacher on dynamics & technique for playing softly.  Also, we tuned the kit low & I'm using the thin dark K's.

The worship team loved the sound, and no one thinks we need shields. The only thought was to mike the kick to get it into the mains with the Bass. I started out with hot rods & wound up using light sticks.

As suggested, I started out playing as softly as I could & at one point my band mates encouraged me to dial it up a bit!  As we head into the weekend's worship services I am pumped!

Thanks again to everyone for their kind comments & helpful suggestions.  I'm really looking forward to worship this weekend.

Bart Elliott

God loves acoustic drums ... far more than electronics ... He told me so.

MVanDoren1

Mid Life-

This is great news.  Glad things worked out for you with the accoustic kit.  I'll tell you what, having the band mates ask you to dial it up a bit is so nice.  You'll be able to play within a wide range of volumes and use your dynamic control to help the music minister usher in certain "feelings" that may be displayed within the context of the songs.  I think about some of the older hymns we use at times, now I'm not really into that style as in I don't go out and purchase that for my own listening pleasure but the older generations really love this stuff.  I don't try to DO anything to control whats going on but I do love it when I'll be using the hot rods or sticks keeping a straight 1/8 note pattern on the hats, snare on 2 and 4, etc..... When it seems the right thing I'll switch over to a 1/16 note pattern on the snare accenting the "&" of every beat and if anyone WAS just sitting in a stupor- not any more, the hands go a clappin and its great.  This church was brought up through mostly a southern gospel style of worship so getting back to those roots is really pleasing to many of the congregation.

The end all be all for a worship team.....

when the pastor looks over at you all and tells you ALL to dial it up a bit.  Now he may regret that decision after the service when those who think ANYTHING is too loud can get hold of him.  It sure is fun and why can't we sometimes just cut loose and have fun?

Have a great Sunday service ;D

MVanDoren1

Now I may have this on incorrect authority 8)  but I heard someone say each of the disciples were drummers- but that John, the favorite, was an accoustic drummer.....
now where was it I heard that........

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: Bart Elliott on March 09, 2007, 12:05 AM

Except the tambourine. If God really loved the tambourine he wouldn't have given it to so many uncoordinated people.

DFresh

Gaddabout,

You are cracking me up in the last day or so.  Have you stopped taking your vitamins?  Must be all over that illness that was plaguing you some time back. ;D

amoacristo

Quote from: Gaddabout on March 09, 2007, 01:22 AM
Except the tambourine. If God really loved the tambourine he wouldn't have given it to so many uncoordinated people.

I don't remember seeing you at my church before. Next time you come, introduce yourself. I'm the one wearing headphones so I can't hear the tambourine (and a few other things I don't want to hear as well).

Todd Norris

Me too!

Mark Counts

mid life crisis

OK......another question for the board......We played the first worship service last night - we play one on Friday night & two on Sunday.  I asked the drummer from one of the other praise teams to listen & critique.  He said it sounded good & ideally needed a bit more kick & a bit more snare.  He also said the hats were bright & really cut (Zildian New Beats) & while they were fine to be sure not to let them get too much louder.

Our Bass player, who has 30 year of experience in bands, had suggested I lay a thin cloth because we thought the snare (Gretsch Catalina Birch with Evans G1 batter with studio ring and a strip of Drum Gum) was a bit too bright.

So here's my question - is there a batter head that you guys would reccommend that might soften the sound of the snare without killing it's "pop"?  Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

amoacristo

Quote from: mid life crisis on March 10, 2007, 10:21 AM
So here's my question - is there a batter head that you guys would reccommend that might soften the sound of the snare without killing it's "pop"?

Why would you want to soften it if you were told you need a bit more snare? Doesn't that mean you have some room to play the snare even louder?

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: mid life crisis on March 10, 2007, 10:21 AM
So here's my question - is there a batter head that you guys would reccommend that might soften the sound of the snare without killing it's "pop"?  Any other thoughts?

Evans makes a heavy coated snare head that should give you a dry sound. Don't know much about birch snares, though. It seems like they'll want to sound however they sound no matter what you do. Depends on how many plys. Another option is to check out the Aquarian New Orleans single-play heads with attached muffling to the sides. Probably less dry than the Evans, but you never know if you've gone too far with the heavy coating until you put it on. It's nice to have a place to fall back to.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: amoacristo on March 10, 2007, 10:37 AM
Why would you want to soften it if you were told you need a bit more snare? Doesn't that mean you have some room to play the snare even louder?

I think he's referring to the bite of the sound rather than the actual volume of the snare. I have the same problem with some wood snares, especially mahogany, which is when I usually go for more coating on the head. To me, any wood snare should be crisp, minimal overtone ring, and a tight pop on rimshot.

I think his Catalina snare is 8-ply birch, which should offer some range of sound with a change of heads without effecting the projection too much.

mid life crisis

Quote from: amoacristo on March 10, 2007, 10:37 AM

With the cloth on the drum not only was it not as loud, but it also sounded too muffled, if that makes any sense.  It might help to know that the stage is hardwood and the walls in the stage area are painted sheetrock - a very live accousic environment. I need a bit more volume, but need to soften the sound the snare so it's not quite as sharp sounding.

Mark Counts

Quote from: mid life crisis on March 10, 2007, 10:53 AM

With the cloth on the drum not only was it not as loud, but it also sounded too muffled, if that makes any sense.  It might help to know that the stage is hardwood and the walls in the stage area are painted sheetrock - a very live accousic environment. I need a bit more volume, but need to soften the sound the snare so it's not quite as sharp sounding.
I am trying a Heavy Earthtone drum head right now and I have found it to have great tone but a little softer that conventional drum heads.  It is made from Goat skin.  It is softer and I have use much less muffling than I used to use. The difference is $33 for a 14in. head. I think I have become sold in the head.  Seems to record very well too.
                               Nutty

mid life crisis

My drum teacher suggested putting a folded up blanket on the floor underneath the snare to absorb some of the energy - even though I have a crash pad under the kit, I'm still on a hardwood floor.  Thoughts?

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: mid life crisis on March 10, 2007, 06:13 PM
My drum teacher suggested putting a folded up blanket on the floor underneath the snare to absorb some of the energy - even though I have a crash pad under the kit, I'm still on a hardwood floor.  Thoughts?

Well ... I think the effect of the hardwood floors are being overstated. It might help what YOU hear, and maybe that's the solution you're looking for. But sound is still going to go up, out, and other directions that have nothing to do with the floor.

Best suggestion? Have someone hit the snare while you're out in the audience, because MAYBE what you're hearing up close is not being projected out there. If there's still a problem, I think changing heads is the most direct solution.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Gaddabout on March 10, 2007, 06:31 PM
Best suggestion? Have someone hit the snare while you're out in the audience, because MAYBE what you're hearing up close is not being projected out there. If there's still a problem, I think changing heads is the most direct solution.

And if you do this, stand behind the individual FIRST, listening to what the Snare sounds like when they hit it. This way you get a perspective of what the Snare sounds like behind the kit when THEY hit it. Then when you go out front, you'll have something to compare it to. Nobody hits the Snare the way I do, so by hearing upclose how someone else plays my kit, I have a better reference when I go out front.

mid life crisis

markusmende

He told me that, too... My church was using Vdrums until about a year and a half ago but a new music guy came in and insisted on having real drums. God had finally heard my prayers... :D :D :D :D