• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Re-affirmation why not to drink alcohol and play a gig

Started by sjm1112, March 03, 2007, 01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjm1112

It has always been my policy to never drink more than maybe one drink to relax a bit before playing a gig. Just makes sense to me, ensures I am on my A game. Been that way for awhile now. So last night we are playing at a brand new bar that opened up about 30 minutes away from our normal places (meaning our crowd wasn't coming) and it was DEAD. Sooo, we decide that since we never get our full worth out of the free drink policy we were going to take advantage. After the 3rd or 4th beer, I remember thinking that I was playing really really well, very loose and just groovin....then I missed a whole transition to a song....ok..pay more attention. Then it happened two more times on songs I have played 200 times at least! Needless to say, back to original policy!! Anyone else have any stories to tell like this?

Mark Counts

Quote from: Scott(Sjm1112) on March 03, 2007, 01:51 AM
It has always been my policy to never drink more than maybe one drink to relax a bit before playing a gig. Just makes sense to me, ensures I am on my A game. Been that way for awhile now. So last night we are playing at a brand new bar that opened up about 30 minutes away from our normal places (meaning our crowd wasn't coming) and it was DEAD. Sooo, we decide that since we never get our full worth out of the free drink policy we were going to take advantage. After the 3rd or 4th beer, I remember thinking that I was playing really really well, very loose and just groovin....then I missed a whole transition to a song....ok..pay more attention. Then it happened two more times on songs I have played 200 times at least! Needless to say, back to original policy!! Anyone else have any stories to tell like this?
Hi there Scott,
I couple of things that I heard in your experience that I will give my opinion on.  First if you have studied any Psychology in college they will teach you about something called STATE DEPENDENCY.  This, if I remember right, it was like if you study with an altered mind then you should take the test that way too.  Now, I don't know if this is all theory or if it is really proven but I have known some good musicians that don't seem to be able to play music anyother way.  I personally stay completely sober when I am playing out and the people that I am talking about, I wouldn't personnally want to work with. The other thing that I heard is that you have played the song over 200 times.
You said you felt relaxed after having several drinks.  Maybe it was sounding so good to you that you started listening instead of paying attention to what your part was.  This is just a case of complacency.

I think we have all done it even when alcohol was not involved.
In all these years of band after band, I have seen alcohol destroy more good bands and people.  It causes people to be more emotional, sensitive, abnoxious etc. It also probably doesn't help you keep good solid time. My guitar player drank a few beers last night at a gig.

We did a pretty good job and got great crowd response but all night I was trying to put the breaks on.  He played in front of the beat most of the night.  After the first set, I told him that he needed to slow down.  He was trying to play everything to fast and he got defensive and told me that I was in control of the time.  Wrong thing to say to me.  I set the anchor on every song for the rest of the night but it is very hard to hold the time with someone pulling you the whole song.

I am not sure if I blame it on excitement or alcohol?  I just feel that straight and sober is the way to perform at your best. I can honestly say that in the last 2 out of 3 bands I have played in, alcohol was a big factor in the final break up of the bands.  The lead guitar players in both bands were having major issues with alcohol. I have been working on a back up plan if this one falls apart.  The guitar player that I am working with for the next project hasn't had a drink in over 4 years and I have known him for over 30 years.  One of the best players that I know. Oh well, that is all I have to say about this.  Good luck!
                                         Nutty

Paicey

Nice reply nutty. I like a brew now and then but not on stage. As you stated about your mind wandering thats what happens to me and i feel out of control. I LIKE being in control. Also music can stop moving me if im buzzed and i need to be moved to play passionately. NOW, after im done playing for the night?, pour me an ice cold Bud lite tap while i tear my kit down.

smoggrocks

i only went onstage pie-eyed once. we had to wait an inordinately long time to take the stage, and i was bored, so i drank 6 white russians [it was a 4-hour wait to play]. actually, the whole band was looped. never again. i could barely keep my arms up, i was sluggish, everything felt delayed. i developed a headache. just bad all around.

one of the new bands i'm in has a more-or-less unspoken rule about booze. namely, don't even have one drink before the gig. i think that's fair, and i have no problem with it. i definitely like a beer after the fact, and can handle ONE drink, but for a first-time gig, i won't do it. it's much better to be amp'd up than to be too mellow from the hooch. or too hyper.

pre-gig, this applies to all substances as well.

TheBeachBoy

I made it a personal rule to not have more than a couple of drinks before we play.  I don't have more than 1 drink per hour beforehand.  On-stage I drink lots of water.  I have played very intoxicated before and that's not fun.  Couldn't play a beat to save my life.  I can play OK a little buzzed, but prefer to play more sober.  The whiskey gives me a little extra energy boost, but water is what keeps me going.  My old band's lead singer would drink about 6 or 7 Jack and Cokes while on-stage.  This is in a 45 minute set.  I thought it was very unprofessional, but he thought it helped incorporate the audience, as he would ask them to get his drinks for him.  Of course, he would forget lyrics and even end songs early, songs he wrote and has played for 4 or 5 years.

Rhyvven

Never been a big drinker...can have a six pack hangin' 'round the fridge for weeks/months. But I do love Guinness and micro-brews. I feel those brews also sometime pack more of a punch. RARELY I'll have one before a gig (talking at the place, setting up, etc...so - close to show time). Since I am a not a frequent drinker it obviously creeps up sooner on me.

Well, two years ago at my 40th, my wife booked a cover band that we are very good friends with. Sit in with them often when we go to see them and have filled the chair once for them. So, a couple of hours into the party I have already downed two, not really sure, 24oz, 32oz, "mugs" of Sam Adams. So of course they offer for the birthday boy to sit in. We start with "longtime" by Boston. Been playing that song since 8th grade and several times with them. About 20 seconds in I hear myself in my head counting the snare and kick beats and 1,2,3,4....yep...in SERIOUS trouble when after 30+ years of playing you need to count the song to yourself.  :o

No more heavy drinking and playing...Does not work for me!  :-X

Mike Noll

My band hasn't had many problems in this area -- we all drink very moderately...   However one recent gig, the crowd kept sending up shots and by the last set we were all a lot 'looser' than is the norm.

Nothing got out of hand - and we finished the gig no problems...  As we're packing up we were all talking about that last set - "wow, we were really on...  We all locked in and played some really inspired stuff etc, etc... "   THEN a few days later we listened to a recording of that show...   WOW, it was quite an eye opener --- suffice to say, we'll all be on guard to not get that 'loose' again anytime soon!!!!    (to summarize -- we were 'terrible' that last set... sloppy doesn't even begin to describe it!!)

Marcos

Quote from: mikeyboyeee on March 09, 2007, 10:40 AM... THEN a few days later we listened to a recording of that show...   -- we were 'terrible' ...

Been there, done that!

eardrum

Quote from: drumnut1 on March 03, 2007, 09:02 AM
................. I have known some good musicians that don't seem to be able to play music anyother way.

This is a key indicator of someone, potentially, with a real problem.  If you can't function normally without the sauce, you're hooked and could be headed for some real serious trouble.  Unfortunately, when your "state" is altered, you probably can't realize your actually "abnormal".  The abnormal becomes their normal.  Eventually, they can't relate to anyone not drinking.. This is a downward spiral that if not interrupted is bad bad news.  I like a brew once in a while but if you get to the point where you need it to loosen up, relax, get in the groove, feel better about yourself, be less self conscious, be happy, have fun, etc, I recommend stepping back and taking a serious look at where it's headed.  You may not be hooked but please just go visit some AA meetings, listen to some stories, and get a clue.  AND YES, I know people who seem to drink a bunch, all their lives, and don't seem to have any problems. But I've also seen some of these same people, guys who boasted about their health and their drinking at the same time, die in their 50/60s from liver disease and other chronic problems that many think are related to the drinking. 

Sorry for the preaching, I just think this goes way beyond whether or not you sound ok on a gig. 

joejordan65

Speaking of drinking on the gig:

I was going through a very bad divorce.

My band had to play on New Years.

Feeling depressed, I "brilliantly" decided to consume four beers while watching our opening band.

So we took the stage.

There's a LOT of water in four beers my friends....... :-\

It's a good thing that I lived two miles from the gig.

Oh well, live and learn!

Joe Jordan

KEW

I dont want to depress anyone but I have a new reason not to drink.  A good friend of mine and a great trombone player Ive worked with many times, passed away this week.  He died from liver problems caused by too much alcohol over the years. 

TheBeachBoy

Quote from: KEW on May 06, 2007, 01:22 PM
I dont want to depress anyone but I have a new reason not to drink.  A good friend of mine and a great trombone player Ive worked with many times, passed away this week.  He died from liver problems caused by too much alcohol over the years. 

I have a friend (actually my old band's singer) that drinks heavily every night.  He'll drink at least a bottle of Jack every day, plus at least a 6 pack of beer.  He's only 28, but I don't think he'll go very long this way.  I've talked to him about and he just says that everything's cool.  I've asked him if he could go a week without drinking but he just says "well, there's 2 for 1 night a such and such bar on Mondays, penny shots at this other bar on Tuesday, Wednesday they have midgets at this other bar..." and so on and so on.  "It would be wasting money to not get these cheap drinks" is his basic attitude.  We should probably set up some sort of intervention, but haven't yet, mostly because he won't change because he doesn't want to change.

Phil Bowman

The thing that has seemed to make the most sense is ... you do NOT wait for something of consequence to happen.  The better friend will contribute to the prevention of any real opportunity for danger.

Since i did not see anything on the forum about it, i'll share in the grief to support your request, Scott.

Chris Williams, a fantastic drummer for Richmond VA's Pat McGee band was taken from us Oct. 28th `06.  It is unknown for sure.  But, there is a chance that an accidental chemical interraction contribited to his heart attack.

JDrummys

If I know the songs well enough, having a slight buzz has not effected my playing too much.. However, I found that while tearing down at the end of the night, I just want to collapse- It takes me twice as long to do everything! So I try to limit myself

yesdannysback

Friends Don't Let Friends Drum Drunk

CEO and Founder of D.A.D.D.

Drummers Against Drunk Drumming

NY Frank

We would never do a gig too buzzed.  However, in the band we're all pretty much on the same page with this, and we will Usually do something like:
- 1 beer per set, first 3 sets
- Soda last set

That allows us to enjoy a brew and a relaxed feeling, without it going beyond that.

This is with me on bass.  When I return to gigging on drums, we'll see if I can even sustain that or if I need a No Brew policy to keep me tight.   :)

Big Yummy

Quoteif you have studied any Psychology in college they will teach you about something called STATE DEPENDENCY.

Exactly.  I was in a band for years that would get together twice a week and have a few beers while practicing.  We always had a few beers before going on stage and it was never an issue.

Nowadays, if I have two beers I can't find my way around the kit and I have no energy whatsoever.

To a certain extent, it's what you're used to.

memfodrumma

drink too much at rehearsals...smack yourself in the face with a drum stick......thata teach ya!!! If the pain doesn't get cha, the rest of the band falling out on the floor will!!!!!

CJBurton

Not drinking on the gig is simply a matter of professionalism, respect for the art of drumming and, well, the music itself. If you are a working musician, you are being hired to do a job.  Imagine if your accountant was allowed to drink while he was "on the job". I certainly wouldn't have very much confidence in his ability to perform coherently. Furthermore, playing music in and of itself is truly the ultimate high. Alcohol or drugs inhibits one from experiencing the music on a pure higher level. If it's relaxation you seek, there are many other ways to relax for a gig, I.E meditate, practice on the practice pad, use visualization techniques......all of which are much more healthy for you as a player and as a human.  Let's set a professional example to all our fellow musicians, and if you must, save the drinking for later.....after you've just given the best performance of your life! My 2 cents/sense. :-) Happy Drumming y'all.

Chris Whitten

Wow, linking music to accountancy might not get you very far.  ;D

I have no hard and fast rules, but I hate feeling drunk, and my professionalism precludes making mistakes or not being at my best because of some outside force.
I'll socially drink, for the taste experience rather than the buzz. One or two beers, maximum three over the course of a long evening. Or a couple of glasses of wine.
Whether I drink or not when gigging is dependent on how I feel, just like whether you eat at the venue or before you get there.
Unfortunately, much amazing music has been created by people completely zonked on all kinds of intoxications. For us mere mortals though (the majority), playing well depends on being in control of our faculties.

felix

I drank like three or 4 jello shots last weekend during the job.  They were free.  I party when I play cause that's what the groupies want and a few drinks is ok in my book.

Sorry, but I'm not going to push booze being in a bar band and not embibe myself.

I can't drink beer tho' unless it's a hot one anymore.  There is nothing worse than that "gotta go" feeling.  I usually drink water and someone buys me booze, shots usually.  I never buy my own booze, but I do buy drinks for other people (good politics).

Once in awhile I get totally smashed and regret it (or sometimes not) and sometimes I play stone cold sober (usually regret doing this  ;D).  We have a following and they sometimes drag me into the partying scene.  I'm a rock n roll drummer for 30 years; I like to party man, C'mon!

I'm not worried about the playback cause sometimes mistakes can sound really cool and as for live work- well If one is with a band long enough; hell, the mistakes are funniest parts of the job.  C'mon!  LOL!  I mean if you are worried about making a mistake how the heck can you play anything? 

RhythmStop

Sometimes I drink, sometimes I don't.  Right now though, I am.

David Newman

I had an every fri and sat jazz trio thing going for awhile at a club with really young party-animal owners. Every night they would ritualistically call us into the back for a round of those vodka-redbull nightmares, and I think the slowest ballad we ever played still clocked in at about quarter = 120  ;D

I no longer drink really but as long as the people I'm playing with aren't losing control of their ability to be musical I like to see everyone have a good time - regardless of how they achieve it.

Nick

Our Manager videoing ALL our gig's & insisting we watch every minute stopped me drinking before I play... ever... (Even rehearsals)

Talk about fooling myself with booze... I haven't had a drink & picked up a stick in 5 years or more...

Mind you I have a hard time keeping my playing together at the best of times  :-[

:)

N

MOUSE

Quite partial to beer but when i'm on the job, i'm on the job.

1/ boozing on stage is amatuer, dosn't give a good impression to youngsters (along with smoking)
2/ too much drink makes my drumming suck ...really bad

3/ I have always carted my own gear, drinking driving especially combined with tiredness (common with gigging) is a recipe for death or jail.

4/ best way to avoid dirty gig toilets, is don't drink too much liquid  ;D

I drink around a jug of water with lemonade mixed in for flavour over a 4 hour gig. I get my buzz from setting up playing, and going home knowing iv'e given each gig my best shot.

NY Frank

Quote from: mouse on July 10, 2008, 05:34 PM
4/ best way to avoid dirty gig toilets, is don't drink too much liquid  ;D

You can say that again.

MOUSE

Best way to avoid dirty gig toilets is don't drink too much.

idtag

Usually limit myself to 1, max 2 regular beers while playing. BIG mistake last summer though. Playing in a parking lot, out in the sun, 101 degrees. Someone brought me a cold microbrew during the second set. Opened another one between sets and kinda forgot to factor in the dehydration/lack of dinner thing. Hit me about 15 minutes into the 3rd set and I had a hell of a time keeping it together. Never again.

At practice we do overindulge a little every once in a while. It does mess up my coordination a bit but the worst is the vocals. I have a hard time hitting the right starting note or I sing flat. I'm usually dead on but I just don't hear it with a decent buzz going.