• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Newbie with a question

Started by Budiesel, March 13, 2007, 10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Budiesel

Hey Mr. Bart, I just joined and I am pretty excited.  I actually have two questions if that is alright with you.  First, I am wanting a thomas lang sound out of my drums.  And I actually want the audience to hear that sound too.  Right now I have Evans G2 clears with e rings, and they sound beautiful behind the kit, but not in front of the kit.  Also, I do not want to mess with any more RemO's or E rings or anything.  Should I change heads, or which ones should I get? The second question.  This may be dumb, but I was curious on how to get an endorsement with a company? I just dont want it for free stuff, I want to be able to promote their equipment when I play live.  How would I go about doing that? Thanks a lot! -Jess

Bart Elliott

Answering your second question first ... read my article entitled http://www.drummercafe.com/content/view/22/28/]How Do You Get An Endorsement Deal?

Your first question ... how to get a sound like Thomas Lang? Play like Thomas Lang! Seriously, I don't know what sound you are referring to that is indigenious to Thomas Lang or that would be attributed to him. I have his new solo CD that was sent to me for review. Be watching for my comments on his CD and if I notice anything particular about his sound I'll be sure to mention it.

I would recommend that you read another article of mine entitled http://www.drummercafe.com/content/view/14/28/]Basic Drum Tuning . I haven't heard your drums so I can't comment on whether or not you should use different drumheads. I can tell you that the majority of professional players play their drums wide open ... no E-Rings or O-Rings. Those "rings" may make your drums sound nice to you behind the drumkit, but as you've noticed, the audience's perspective is quite different. I would suggest that you tune your drums so that they sound nice to the audience ... then get used to THAT sound when you are behind the drums. I also suggest that if you've NOT changed your drumheads in the past 6-12 months ... you should definitely do so! The sound you'll get from new/fresh drumheads is night and day! And don't forget to replace your resonant (bottom) drumheads as well.

My rule of thumb:

Change out the batter heads at LEAST once every six months.
Change out the resonant heads at LEAST once every year.