• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Mute Math - Typical

Started by Bart Elliott, March 24, 2007, 11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Here's a great music video! Very creative ... not to mention difficult to pull off!!!

Todd Norris

Wow.  I'd sure like to know how they pulled that off!  I'm having flashbacks of "backwards masking" records in the 70's... 

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Whoa. If it hadn't been so low budget (done that way on purpose), I would've had some explanations. But there was only one scene where I saw there could've been a cut. The rest of it looks like a one-shot.

Consider me impressed.

Louis Russell

Quote from: Gaddabout on March 25, 2007, 01:51 AM
Consider me impressed.

Me too!  I watched it twice and that is a lot more than I view most of the youtubes.

Mister Acrolite

Mister Acrolite

In addition to that being a mind-boggling video, that's some GREAT rock drumming. Coolest thing I've seen in ages!

agogobil

;D  !LOL  !gnizama saw tahT  !GMO

chefdoug

That is pretty cool. But it immedietely reminded me of this Jack Johnson video....let the backwards video contest commence!!

Bart Elliott

Quote from: chefdoug on March 25, 2007, 05:41 PM
That is pretty cool. But it immedietely reminded me of this Jack Johnson video....let the backwards video contest commence!!

Playing a Tom Tom in place of the Snare? That's just wrong!  ;)

It's nice, but I like the Mute Math video better.

David Aldridge

I remember seeing something like these years ago in Weird Al's "Amish Paradise" video.  Perhaps Bermuda could chime in with any info on how they pull this stuff off?

chefdoug

Well, through looking around further, I found this backwards(forwards?) version of the same Jack Johnson video above. It looks like they just have to map it out carefully, film it and then play it backwards. I'm sure there is more to it but that's what it looks like to me. Of course, it has to be real hard to lip sync a song backwards to make it look forwards. I would have hated to do this in more than one take, that's a whole lot of clean up to do.

agogobil

They should really stop doing things like this.  I believe there's a chance that they're seriously disrupting the time/space continuum.  I mean, look at the mess we're in.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: agogobil on March 25, 2007, 10:56 PM
They should really stop doing things like this.  I believe there's a chance that they're seriously disrupting the time/space continuum.  I mean, look at the mess we're in.

Obviously they've never read Ray Bradbury's A Sound of Thunder. Thankfully, I see no butterflies.

Stewart Manley

Quote from: Gaddabout on March 26, 2007, 01:43 AM
Thankfully, I see no butterflies.

I think if you were to look underneath your right foot...

jokerjkny

very cool video,

then again, i'm a sucker for most anything backwards.  ;)

course, NO video will ever capture their live performances.  NONE.