• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Drummer Cafe community solo 3!!!

Started by Gaetano Nicolosi, April 05, 2007, 07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Counts

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on May 30, 2007, 01:07 PM
Just count out loud along with it.  Start on "three" when you hear the high cowbell ("THREE, four, one, two, THREE, four. . ."). 

When you count, accent the "three" when you say it.  After a few bars you'll feel it fall into place.
I understand Dave. I already sent mine in and it didn't have the rhythm track with it.  As long as it is in 4/4 time it will still work. The only difference is my cymbals will hit on 3 instead of one.  I am not sure how that is going to work out but Bart said you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If he tracks the first cymbal hit on One it will still work.
              Nutty

Mark Counts

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on May 30, 2007, 01:07 PM
Just count out loud along with it.  Start on "three" when you hear the high cowbell ("THREE, four, one, two, THREE, four. . ."). 

When you count, accent the "three" when you say it.  After a few bars you'll feel it fall into place.
Ok,
I went back and listened to it and counted it that way and it still works just fine.  You had me a bit worried there? I was trying to record one for another drummer and it was the way he was hearing it too. For some reason it just felt right and being me it do most of my drumming completely by feel.
                      Nutty

JeepnDrummer

I finally got a mic hooked up to my computer and got it working.  Yeah, only one lousey mic. :)  Anyway, the soonest I could possibly get something recorded is this Friday.  Is that past the due date?  Then again, after I listened to the little bit of test recording I did it might be in my best interest NOT to contribute. ;D

Bart Elliott

Go ahead and keep the solos coming. I've already started mixing, but I can add additional solos as we I go. I've been very busy with other gigs and sessions, so I haven't even recorded mine own solo yet. You definitely have through the weekend ... so I need them by June 4th now.

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

Dang!, just got done with some outpatient surgery in a place only my proctologist would go. Guess I'll be sitting out the solo this year. On the plus side I've never felt more fortunate to be an unemployeed drummer.

Dave Heim

Quote from: Shoeless on May 31, 2007, 10:14 AM
Dang!, just got done with some outpatient surgery in a place only my proctologist would go. . . .

Be sure to ask for a second opinion - the doctor uses two fingers!   :o

(I hope all is well)

Louis Russell

Dang!, just got done with some outpatient surgery in a place only my proctologist would go. Guess I'll be sitting out the solo this year.

It may feel better to stand out the solo this year.   ;D  I hope you heal soon. 

Mark Counts

Dang!, just got done with some outpatient surgery in a place only my proctologist would go. Guess I'll be sitting out the solo this year. On the plus side I've never felt more fortunate to be an unemployeed drummer.
Man that's a bunch on information.  Hope you get to feeling better!!!
                         Nutty

eardrum

agogobil

congas?  timbales?  xylophone?  ... you can still put up a solo ... go for it!

Mark Counts

Quote from: agogobil on May 31, 2007, 06:13 PM
congas?  timbales?  xylophone?  ... you can still put up a solo ... go for it!

I agree agogobil,
Dave from Chicago is in the middle of construction so he pulled a few drums out and did it with his hands.  Now that is determination. I am sorry Dave, that I let the cat out the bag but I have to say, it takes guts.
I am really looking forward to hearing everyone. Bart has extended the deadline twice.   I will bet we have a great turn out this year?
                  Nutty

Dave Heim

Quote from: drumnut1 on May 31, 2007, 09:27 PM
I agree agogobil,
Dave from Chicago is in the middle of construction so he pulled a few drums out and did it with his hands.  Now that is determination. I am sorry Dave, that I let the cat out the bag but I have to say, it takes guts. . . .

You'll all be totally underwhelmed, trust me.  :)

eardrum

WhoooHOooo!!!  After several hours of recording myself and feeling pretty bad about my ability to play to the loop I'm done.  Here it comes Bart and all with my own special sense of time (ahhhhh).....   Hey and it's not even midnight here. :)

I need to say Thanks to Bart and everyone here for inspiring me to get this done.  It became a much bigger job than it could have been because I wanted to finally play with my mics/mixer and IPOD recording.  After finally getting it sounding half way decent (no where near where I want) I then had play something and honestly I had a hard time.  BUT I'm actually happy with the result and I've learned a ton just going through the exercise.  Again thanks Bart.....

MVanDoren1

Eardrum- though I didn't do any of the mixing, setting mic levels, etc. I too felt that all in all, in the end this was a very worthwhile experience.  My music minister helped with my recording (working with substandard components, pretty outdated, etc.) setting mics and levels then turned on the tape recorder (yes thats cassette tape thankyou very much) which id part of the system and said I'll see you later.  I recorded many takes some because I mesed up and others because I had a different idea on what could be done.  That led to other retakes due to mistakes because I found that my mind has a highly exaggerated opinion of my own playing- thinking it possible for me to accomplish things that my arms and legs say, "yeah...right, whatEVVVVER", to.
End result- several dozen attempts and about 5 that I really thought were my best; 3 on kit (Hot Rods, for a change and a little different texture, I like the playing with hands idea can't wait to hear that, bass, snare, hats and a couple crashes) and 2 on percussion (2 congas, tambourine, sizzle cymbal and bar chimes- not all that I have just what I had played for the take I sent to Bart).  I'm not a chops monster with blazing speed- but what I put together was pretty representative of how I like to play.  Whats good about this (community solo, not MY contribution per se) then is that with so many contributions we can really get a sense of the endless possibilites that can exist. That can in turn inspire more creativity and whalla- growth!

eardrum

Quote from: MVanDoren1 on June 01, 2007, 01:49 AM
....That led to other retakes due to mistakes because I found that my mind has a highly exaggerated opinion of my own playing- thinking it possible for me to accomplish things that my arms and legs say, "yeah...right, whatEVVVVER", to........

Ditto! I hear Weckl/Gadd/Ringo/Moon/Erskine/etc but alas.......  and our arms and legs must have gone to the same attitude adjustment seminar. 

TheBeachBoy

Quote from: eardrum on June 01, 2007, 01:12 PM
Ditto! I hear Weckl/Gadd/Ringo/Moon/Erskine/etc but alas.......  and our arms and legs must have gone to the same attitude adjustment seminar. 

Reminds me of the saying "the mind is willing but the flesh is weak."  I know I sound just like Buddy Rich in my mind, but on tape it's a whole other ball game.

Mark Counts

Quote from: eardrum on June 01, 2007, 01:11 AM
WhoooHOooo!!!  After several hours of recording myself and feeling pretty bad about my ability to play to the loop I'm done.  Here it comes Bart and all with my own special sense of time (ahhhhh).....   Hey and it's not even midnight here. :)

I need to say Thanks to Bart and everyone here for inspiring me to get this done. Again thanks Bart.....
Good post eardrum,
Looking forward to it.  It is going to be a banner year.  Bart said that he had already doubled the number last year two weeks ago. We must have some that haven't posted that said they were in? I would bet that a few more come floating in..???There is a few more days!!
                                    Nutty

Mark Counts

Quote from: Bart Elliott on May 31, 2007, 06:40 AM
Go ahead and keep the solos coming. I've already started mixing, but I can add additional solos as we I go. I've been very busy with other gigs and sessions, so I haven't even recorded mine own solo yet. You definitely have through the weekend ... so I need them by June 4th now.
Hi Bart,
Can you give us the final count yet or are you still taking solos?
                                            Nutty

Mark Counts

Quote from: drumnut1 on June 04, 2007, 08:46 PM
Hi Bart,
Can you give us the final count yet or are you still taking solos?
                                            Nutty
Wow, Three seperate threads on the solo.  I got to talk to Bart in the chat room the other day and he said there were somewhere around 15 or so solo's ;D.  Going to be the best turn out yet 8).
                                     Nutty