• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

any good book/cd's anyone can recomend?

Started by YMScrusader, November 29, 2002, 08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YMScrusader

i wanna get either a video or a book/cd where i can play the drums to a cd that has guitar and bass while using the book to learn.  I need this to work on my fills mainly and to come up with good beats faster when jamming with my friends.  Anyone know a link like from musiciansfriend to a good book/cd that i can buy that will be a helpful teacher or fun to play along with??   thanx alot

YMScrusader

forgot to tell you i have been playing for almost a year so dont need nothin to advanced but dont want like the learn to play drums today book.

Bart Elliott

We've got a lot of things that you can get right here.

Just click on the  http://baewebservices.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BPMM&Category_Code=DC]STORE  link at the upper left hand corner of the screen!

The WojoWorks -  http://baewebservices.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BPMM&Product_Code=SMO&Category_Code=DC]Sessions Minus One CD  is nice in that you can just play with some radio oriented music without the drum tracks.

YMScrusader

thanx im checkin the store out now, but i think i really need a book with the cd to help teach me the stuff too.  I havent been tauht any fills or solos, and when ever i attempt them i come back in off, so id like something that can really teach me going from beats to fills and back while playin to the cd.

BlackEvovii

than thats a timing problem(playing too fast or too slow) if you dont already use some form of counting, try that.  Otherwise, i know they use to do jam alongs where you could play to nirvana and pearl jam and metallica.....etc....but they(the jam alongs) dont have anythng that teaches you how to play it.

Bart Elliott

Then you might want to check out the Dave Weckl Ultimate Play-along book/CD ... Vol 1 & 2.

These two volumes cover a variety of styles, and are nice because the tempos aren't too fast ... and Dave talks about the grooves and fills ... and he transcribes some of it.

Personally, I think you are trying to force the play-along stuff to do something it's not designed to do. It's not there to teach you fills or beats ... it's there to provide you a means to APPLY what you know and/or have learned elsewhere.

Frankly, I would look at some other books, and more importantly, study with a qualified drum instructor. Listening to music and copying what you hear is going to be one of the best ways to learn fills. The next best thing is being able to hear the rhythmic ideas in your head ... then apply them to the instrument. Transcribe what others have played, write out your own ideas, listen to all styles of music, play along to the radio or your favorite CDs ... including some CDs designed for the play-along thing, minus the drums. Also, try and get together with some live musicians and learn some songs ... or just jam. It's all good and will all aid you in your quest growth.

YMScrusader

i do take lessons with an instructor, i am just lookin for a cd i can play along with for fun and for practice, but i was hopin i could get a book that has diff beats and fills i can try to the cd.

Carlos Benson

Go to: http://www.foreverdrumming.com and look under Steve Houghton - under "H" - he has some good stuff like you're looking for. "Drum Performer" is a good one.

jon26

If you like the music of Dave Matthews, I'd check out Carter Beauford: Under the Table and Drumming DVD or VHS.  He is one of the top drummers in the world so his playing style is very sophisticated but what I like is that he breaks that down for you in the video.  It was very helpful and introduced me to a lot more ideas especially a lot of sticking patterns on the hi-hat which Beauford commonly does.

Jon

kolp

Hi , if you want to play fill and rhythm along with a CD i think you can try this book : 66 Drum Solo for the Modern Drummer , even if the title talk about solo it's more rhytm then fill and back to rhytm ( good to work on time with fill like you asked .
you can also buy Full drum transcription book to use with original CD of a artist ( some book transcription don't transcribe fill so check that before buy ;-)
i think that's enough about what you asked but in case no let m give you some more title with or without CD :
100 Rock Fills for drum kit Vol 1 and Vol 2 ( no cd but Great to learn how to play fill )
Berklee Practice Method Drum Set ( to learn structure of song , you have same book for Bass Guitar and so on to play same song with you band )
Workin Drums 50 Solo for Drumset ( with CD )
Enjoy  ;D