Topic: Left hand improvement problem  (Read 4431 times)

c20w

Left hand improvement problem
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:47 AM »
So I have started practicing again recently and have noticed a discrepancy between my right and left hand. I noticed it before but never thought anything of it. Now, when I look at the way the stick head hits my pad and the sound it makes, I know I have to change something.

When I do double rolls on my practice pad with a combination of hand wrist and fingers (rather than all wrist and fulcrum), I notice that my right forearm goes up and down slightly. In other words, it goes down into the first beat, and then hits the second beat on it's way up. When I look at my left hand, it's just the wrist that moves, the forearm does not.

How can I practice to make my left just like my right? 

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Re: left hand improvement problem
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 09:00 AM »
Watch yourself play by standing in front of a mirror or video taping yourself. Watch the motion you are making with the right side and work to get your left side doing the same thing. Go slow! Take your time and analyze the movement.

Read these articles:

Watch my the  http://www.drummercafe.com/education/5-minute-lessons/stretching-and-warming-up-the-body.html]5-Minute Lesson | Stretching & Warming Up The Body .

Be watching for upcoming video footage of my demonstrations of "The Endurance Method".

Lastly, try to get with a professional instructor to help you with your problem. If a teacher is not available to you locally, I recommend that you contact me at  http://www.DrumSage.com]www.DrumSage.com  to arrange a custom video correspondence lesson. I can help you with the left hand improvement.

c20w

Muscle Tension
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 10:57 AM »
Thanks for the quick response, Bart! I wanted to tag on one more question on the end of that last one, but I wasn't sure you would see it, so I made a new topic.

When I drum fast around the set, I get to a point where i can feel the muscle in the palm in between my thumb and forefinger become very hot and tight. I have to stop drumming at this point or I feel like I may hurt something.

Will the articles in the last post I made help me with this or would you suggest something else?

Thanks again!

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Re: Muscle Tension
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:19 PM »
Yes, if you read the articles and apply what I'm saying ... it should help you immensely ... and at the very least, won't hurt.

I would also suggest that you read/watch my 5-Minute Lesson entitled  http://www.drummercafe.com/education/5-minute-lessons/the-natural-grip-an-ergonomic-approach.html]The Natural Grip ... An Ergonomic Approach . This will address some of the tension and discomfort you are experiencing when you play.

Stretch out and warm-up before you play or practice. Try to video tape yourself playing or position a mirror that allows you to see you hands as you play. Watch for tension and/or unnatural movements and motions. When you feel pain ... STOP! Get yourself back to a relaxed place using some of the techniques I've described in the articles and lessons I've suggested.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!