• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Building my first snare drum and I guess I am finding out I have many???

Started by Mark Counts, June 03, 2007, 07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ayotteTL

That snare is gorgeous!I was gonna say what amazing figuring on the wood. Timeless Timber is beautiful sounding wood. A local jazz player in my city plays a Craviotto Timeless Timber and without knowing brand or anythng about what it was,I asked him about it. I've played a couple wood snares-all plied wood and never got the sound he had. It was distinctively warm yet voluminous.

When he played brushes it didn't sound muted like my wood snares.  Lively yet warm. Got rid of my wood snares and now play only metal snares because brushwork seems to be more prominent w/black brass and other metal.

Timelesss Timber has made me really re-think this. They sound so friggin good w/brushes! I dunno if I was hearing the benefits of a solid shell or the Timeless Timber. I'm guessing a little of both but_WOW they are distinctive and special.
I think I might dig DW Bamboo snare too for brushwork.

Chip Donaho

I have one of the first Craviotto maple snares made. Those were Timeless Timber and that snare sounds awesome. To think, I'm only about 2-3 hours away from where that wood is. Lake Superior is straight up the hiway for me to Duluth, MN. I've been in that water and it's even cold in mid summer. Better rent a snorkle, and wet suit. But there are several tons of various types of wood down there. You better take diving lessons. If you get cold easy best to stay on shore. That water is freezing cold even in August.  :o

Paicey

How would your drum compare to the Mapex 5.5x13 steel piece of junk? ;D. Birch snaredrums totally rock, someone awhile back put up some MP3's of various woods and birch stood out to me. Ill bet that drum is one bad mother!.

Mark Counts

Quote from: Paicey on November 15, 2008, 01:23 PM
How would your drum compare to the Mapex 5.5x13 steel piece of junk? ;D. Birch snaredrums totally rock, someone awhile back put up some MP3's of various woods and birch stood out to me. Ill bet that drum is one bad mother!.
Paicey,
I have to agree with you. I have a Tama Star Classic Birch snare the really sounds good but I have to say that the single ply custom snare sounds better than anything that I have played IMHO.
Also, to respond to an earlier post, it does sound great with Brushes but I have admit that I would probably take the  Ambassador
over the Evans PC Dot if I played a bunch of brushes just for texture. I think the roughness of the head makes a difference as well as all other variables.
                                                              Nutty