Topic: Meg White 'hailed' in The Onion  (Read 6728 times)

felix

Re: Meg White 'hailed' in The Onion
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 12:21 PM »
*takes a deep breath, relaxes- the noob goes away*

Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 12:23 PM »
* the noob goes away*

Only to be replaced by two more.   ;D

James Walker

• Cafe VIP
    • malletjazz
    • www.malletjazz.com
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 01:14 PM »
Let's find someone who deserves to be brought down a peg or two to poke fun at.  :-\

(In the "be careful what you wish for" department...)

I don't know if I deserve to be brought down any given number of pegs, but if anyone here knows anyone at The Onion, d'ya think you could get them to do a write-up on me?  I need the publicity desperately.

Just make sure they spell my name right, and include my web site URL at least once.  ;D

drumwild

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 01:27 PM »
On the subject of THE ONION, we loved this one at the office.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/myspace_outage_leaves_millions?utm_source=onion_rss_daily]MySpace Outage Leaves Millions Friendless

David Newman

• Cafe VIP
    • nuclearnewman
    • Bentley's Drum Shop
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 01:53 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Mark W

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 02:25 PM »
I do agree with Felix in that it's a good thing to actually have an opinion you don't mind sharing nowadays. Too many people are scared of saying what they really feel about things nowadays. I'm obviously talking about way more pressing issues than the abilities of Meg White here  :)

I'm no fan of the White Stripes, nor her drumming, but I appreciate that her style fits the music almost perfectly. (I say almost).

Some actually say that she is actually quite an able drummer, but sticks to the more 'simple' stuff to get that sort of garageband vibe they have. I'm not so sure, but just throwing that in there.

Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 02:38 PM »
Some actually say that she is actually quite an able drummer, but sticks to the more 'simple' stuff to get that sort of garageband vibe they have. I'm not so sure, but just throwing that in there.

If that's so, even an ardent supporter such as I would be amazed at the discipline required for that.

I mean, despite the good stuff she does, she also doesn't look to be the type to whip out variations on the Drori exercise, for example.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

• Cafe VIP
    • My Space
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 03:58 PM »
Does anyone think that Meg White thinks that she's a competent professional drummer who could survive outside of the White Stripes? I probably agree more with Chrisso in that it's doubtful the girl is deluded and needs a good verbal thrashing. I suspect she's very aware of her limitations, but satisfied all the same that her job is safe. I know I couldn't play like Meg White. It would never dawn on me to play like that. But that's the advantage of someone at her playing level.

I got a lesson in this when I was 16 at a house party. There was a set of drums up and some of the kids there knew I was a drummer. They demanded I play. I set down and played what I'd been learning, which was pretty much every Steve Gadd beat known to man. I got quizzical looks. That wasn't drumming to them. Some other kid, a newbie, sat down and played a knuckle-dragging tom-tom beat that had everyone screaming. LOL I was too young to really understand what happened, but I get it today.

That said, the White Stripes appeal is entirely Jack White. I have no idea how good of a guitarist he is, but I love his sound all the same. I hear a lot of Jeff Beck and older blues guitarists in him. He's not a chunker like most other rock guitarists these days.

Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 05:48 PM »
I do agree with Felix in that it's a good thing to actually have an opinion you don't mind sharing nowadays.

+10.
That goes for Felix and Smogg.
I'm not afraid of opinions, I'm not against The Onion either.
IMO, the perennial poking of fun at Meg White is about as interesting as the perennial 'John Bonham is God' thread.

felix

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 09:48 PM »
I know I couldn't play like Meg White.

I know you couldn't either, since you really STINK.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Louis, Chrisso and two noobs agree with felix.  Wow.  I can die now.

Actually we play the "seven nation army" tune by them.  I enjoy that #.  It's actually one of the few songs I play that is not a complete abomination.   ::)

David Newman

• Cafe VIP
    • nuclearnewman
    • Bentley's Drum Shop
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 10:41 PM »
I hear a lot of Jeff Beck and older blues guitarists in him.

Jeff Beck is God. Don't blaspheme!

Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2007, 02:29 AM »
Err.....as I quite clearly stated earlier........John Bonham is God.  >:(

;D ;D ;)

felix

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2007, 10:02 AM »
GO AWAY NOOBS!  Wait do something in another thread like contributing something hip (I.E. does not stink up the joint).

John Bonham is the eternal truth, supreme omnipotent ruler GOD that I will worship his pure light and energy with every breath to my last.  Jeff who?  Jeff Porcaro?  He's part of the trinity.  Bonzo, Porcaro and Buddy.

I JUST LOVE BONZO.

David Newman

• Cafe VIP
    • nuclearnewman
    • Bentley's Drum Shop
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2007, 12:14 PM »
Caps Lock is the cruise control of awesomeness.

Jeff Beck is still God, and I gotta be close to a different metal by now. 101 posts and still copper? C'mon...

Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2007, 06:54 PM »
Come on!
You haven't figured out you'll never progress beyond copper until you give yourself up to the Bonzo.......and rid yourself of this obsession with mullet headed guitarists?  :-[

;) ;)

David Newman

• Cafe VIP
    • nuclearnewman
    • Bentley's Drum Shop
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 10:34 PM »
My mullet was powerful in high school.

Powerful.

The fact that I admit that should be worth honorary Nickel at least. Maybe an alloy?

Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2007, 07:31 AM »
101 posts and still copper? C'mon...

Look on the bright side!  There was a member a while back that broke 100 post and he was demoted to rust.  At least you are still copper.   ;D

Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2007, 02:22 PM »
Anyone with less than 1000 posts needs to realise what the rest of us learned the hard way ... Felix is just acerbic that way, sometimes just to stir the pot a bit ;)  You can't always take him seriously or you'll just hurt yourself.   Roll your eyes and leave him be, he's harmless.     ;D

And the greatest drummer of all time. 

Christopher

• Cafe VIP
  • That's MR. Colaiuta to you...
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2007, 02:55 PM »
I dont care much for her playing.

Also, I think if she were a he, they wouldnt be nearly as popular as they are.

But that's just me. I call them like I see them. And, like Felix, I don't have to worry about losing my gig if someone gets mad at something I say.

The last scene of  ]THIS  video kind of sums it up for me…

I'd love to hear what Buddy Rich would have to say about Meg White.  ;)

JeepnDrummer

• Cafe VIP
  • Ding, fries are done!
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2007, 03:19 PM »
I got a lesson in this when I was 16 at a house party. There was a set of drums up and some of the kids there knew I was a drummer. They demanded I play. I set down and played what I'd been learning, which was pretty much every Steve Gadd beat known to man. I got quizzical looks. That wasn't drumming to them. Some other kid, a newbie, sat down and played a knuckle-dragging tom-tom beat that had everyone screaming. LOL I was too young to really understand what happened, but I get it today.
I can relate to this.  When I was 17 the first band I helped form gave me the boot when they found a drummer who did nothing but fast rolls all over the music.  To an extent we were both one trick ponies.  My trick was to play for the music (very little chops) whereas his was strictly fast single stroke rolls down the toms.

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram