Topic: Ideal Cymbal Setup - Advice Needed  (Read 3300 times)

George

• Gold Member
    • Trickshot
Re: Ideal Cymbal Setup - Advice Needed
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 05:53 PM »

I would add another 16" crash with a little different sound and a 18" crash/ride.
My point in having a bit more cymbals than necessary also regards how comfortably you can reach them. I had just one crash and a crashable ride in the past, but now I enjoy the comfort of three crashes: you can reach one of them easily after any fill.

dannydrumperc

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 07:38 AM »
How much do you guys use your splashes?
 ;)
Portnoy use them a lot, and he is quite popular among youngsters...

I recorded some percussion for a friend (rock project) during the summer, and something I was asked to do was to add some cymbals as accents. What did I did? Grabed my 8" splash, my 14" paper thin crash and my 18" china. I played them with drumstick, mallets and triangle beaters (for scraps). The end results really highlightened the rhythm section and added an extra flavor that boosted-up the songs. I'll be playing drums with the band when the production comes out and (obviusly) I'll bring my effect cymbals to the gigs.

I also like the idea of the 18" crash; a good rideable one. If there is any money left over, then think about effects or small (13" or 14") crash.

Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 10:17 AM »
I use quite a few cymbals in my setup. But my 14" fast crash has become a favorite for accent work. I use two 21" rides on boths sides. 14" hats, plus the 14" fast crash. 18" crash, and sometimes a 17" crash. But I have many cymbals to pick from. So I can select what I feel I need for different bands. I make it understood that "I" select my drum and cymbal choices. If someone has something to say, then say it and I'll listen. I don't tell them which guitar or what to play, so they can respect my points also. When "they" pay for the gear used then I'll respect their views. But the 14" fast crash is awesome.... I know I'm somewhat hardheaded about my cymbal choices. But I've developed an ear for cymbals over the years and I rarely get a gripe about them. I mainly use older Paiste's, but I've got a few 60's-70's Ziljains I grab when needed. It's taken me many years to decide what my ear likes. Once in a while a new cymbal will come out that interests me. But I seem to always go back to those old favorites. The guy who owns the drum shop has tried many times to buy them from me. Nope.... ;D

Buddy Bryan

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
    • benderbuzz
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 12:11 PM »
I used to use a lot more, but now it's hats, 2 crashes and a ride. Works great for me.

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram