• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

OD on Prog??

Started by 1Xanadu1, July 26, 2007, 03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Xanadu1

Quite Frankly, I think I might this week. Last night was the Dream Theater Concert and oh man were they good. Everything they played seemed to be perfectly on time and correct. They opened up with a version of 2001 A Space Odyssey, which I thought was really neat and definitely gave me the chills. Well today I will have to rest because tomorrow I see RUSH! Dream Theater and Rush on the same week only a day apart to me, is like, well....seeing Dream Theater and Rush in the same week! Oh and some crazy person tried to sell me beer at the concert because he thought I was over age, I refused because I don't drink, but it was pretty funny that they thought I was over 21.

NY Frank

Sounds like you're having a music week in heaven.

It has been a while now since my last concert.  I need to fix that.    8)

smoggrocks

cool. i gotta remember to get rush tickets. i missed the last show. i hear they're coming around sept. 17th.

i think it's absolutely possible to OD on prog., or any genre, for that matter. i was on a tain/hardcore modern jazz kick last year, and that's all i listened to or went to see. after a few months of it, i had to listen to metallica and stuff like that coz my brain went on overload.

i'm kinda sorta going through a classical kick right now, coz it can be mentally soothing. went to see the brooklyn philharmonic last nite in central park [nothing like a free concert to motivate me], where they performed vivaldi's 4 seasons, then piazzolla's version of the 4 seasons [actually, they interspersed the two; the latter was way cool]. lara st. john, the violin soloist, was really amazing.

anyhow, point being it's good to immerse oneself, but also to mix it up. the other thing i've been listening to a lot is vietnamese music. it really takes me out of my element.

cheers-
sd

Chip Donaho

I play and practice all styles of music. Variety is the types of music I wish to play. It opens me up for more gigs by doing that.   ;)

Paicey

Im going out to get the latest Planet-X CD shortly. Ive listened to a tune on this CD i got from the latest issue of Drumhead magazine from Planet-X and im hooked. Planet-X is like Dream Theatre on steroids times ten. If you like prog GET this CD. Virgil Donati is smokin and his drums sound grrreat. Ill be OD'ing on this for a month!!!.