Topic: Top 40 artists turning music into commercials  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Brett Tanner

• Cafe VIP
Top 40 artists turning music into commercials
« on: July 03, 2007, 03:44 PM »
There's something bothersome about this to me.  Maybe it shouldn't be, especially since I listen to little top 40 and not much music via the radio.

The 32-year-old Black Eyed Peas singer, who has become the first star to agree to product placement in her songs, will write and perform tracks endorsing fashion company Candie's on her second solo album.

An executive at Fergie's record label Interscope said: "With record sales in decline, you must find novel ways to make money out of the music. The trick is to make the brand part of the song so that it slips down easily rather than chokes the fan.

"Candie's will have no say over exactly what Fergie will sing, or when. Fergie does not sing jingles so it will have to work unobtrusively in the song."

Fergie has also agreed to allow Candie's advisors to style fans at her shows.

If this catches on and works....*Lurch groan from the Addams Family*

I suppose since she doesn't sing jingles the integrity's still there ::)

Zildjians to the left of me, Paistes to the right.

Offline Matt Self (Gaddabout)

• Cafe VIP
    • My Space
Re: Top 40 artists turning music into commercials
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 04:06 PM »
I could get really uptight about this, or I could have some fun. Some other potential product placements ...

AC/DC - Cepacol throat lozenges

Rolling Stones - Depends adult diapers

The Police - Xanex

Metallica - any brand of mp3 player

Nellie - CZ (maker of 9mm hand guns)

Brittany Spears - Eddie Bauer child car seats

Big & Rich - Jimmy Dean!
Odd meter isn't broken. It doesn't need to be fixed. - David Crigger

Offline David Newman

• Cafe VIP
    • nuclearnewman
    • Bentley's Drum Shop
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 04:28 PM »
My Chemical Romance - Birth Control

Offline vexen

• Bronze Member
    • Patrick Hassani
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 01:29 AM »
My Chemical Romance - Birth Control

Haha, I'm not sure how you mean this to be taken. Is it to say that people like them should never be born, or because they are womanizers?
Out of the place of flowers I come, Priest of the Sunset, Lord of the Twilight.

Offline David Newman

• Cafe VIP
    • nuclearnewman
    • Bentley's Drum Shop
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 01:40 AM »
The former, but I was just joking around of course  ::)

Danno

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 07:34 PM »
I can't say I'm bothered (or surprised) by Fergie doing this, because to me she is the lamest excuse for an artist I've seen in a long time. I have no earthly idea who she appeals to, and I wouldn't be surprised at any sellout move she makes to push her records.

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 01:45 PM »
I could get really uptight about this, or I could have some fun. Some other potential product placements ...
[snip]

MAD did this before.  I believe Sucrets sponsored Tom Waits and Bonnie Tyler's tour. :)

I would be amused by Ms. Ferguson's attempt if it were embellished with seven-part background vocals (Johnny Mann singers, perhaps?) and a trombone-heavy brass section, with a sweeping French horn in the bridge.
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

drumwild

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 11:04 AM »
The industry has got to change. Whether or not this change will be good stands to be seen. The rappers and Top 40 artists have been putting product mentions in their songs and products in their videos for years.

I put Lamborghini doors on my Escalade...

It reminds me of 1981, when some people were getting upset because The Rolling Stones tour was sponsored by Jovan Musk. Maybe slightly different, but it was the introduction of a product not related to the band.

A friend of mine who toured with a metal band for a decade said they made most of their money selling t-shirts? All about the music? It's also about the business.

Offline Brett Tanner

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Record companies have to do something with rapidly declining cash flows.  It's almost certain there will be a lot fewer in existance over the next few years unless they redefine themselves and that's what's going on here.

I think sponsorships and band merchandise sales are very different from product placement within an artists song.  I would guess this will only work for certain artists.  For instance, if metallica were to participate in song product placement...I would venture to say that would be their last album.  No doubt economics always has to be considered and sometimes that can be a thin line.

Zildjians to the left of me, Paistes to the right.

KEW

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 01:32 PM »
"And when the Beatles tell you, they have love to sell you, they mean exactly what they say." ……Peter, Paul and Mary…."I dig rock and roll music."

Ive never wanted to be a starving artist.  I think one can have financial success and maintain musical integrity.  I'm ok with a star who actually uses the product he or she is endorsing   When I see recovering alcoholics doing beer commercials I become very cynical.  But for some reason I always liked Tina Turner's nylons comercial so I'll probably like Fergie as a corporate shill.

seansdadj

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 02:02 PM »
Well thats a new way to market things...LOL

Offline Drum Slave Jack

• Cafe VIP
  • Supporting The Drummer Cafe In Australia
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 02:27 PM »
Fergie...all I have to say is..tool
Drums O Clock

drumwild

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 05:29 PM »
The 32-year-old Black Eyed Peas singer...

Her age is key. As the industry standard goes, she is rapidly approaching the end of her marketable prime. Imagine using looks to sell music, instead of.. um.. music to sell music.

She can do a few things. Either get a "real" job, like the rest of us suckers, OR license some songs to advertisers for easy cash.

If I were in this situation, I'd license the songs. Way easier than digging ditches or bagging groceries, and more lucrative.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!