• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

A Great Gig

Started by Bart Elliott, August 30, 2007, 07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Played a great show at F. Scott's Jazz Bar (Nashville) with jazz/blues singer and songwriter Terri Brinegar. I've never worked with Terri before. She moved to Nashville via Los Angeles a little over a year ago. Her former drummer was none other than Rick Latham.

Also on the line-up was guitarist Greg Foresman (Martina McBride), pianist Jim Medlin (Martina McBride) and 6 time Grammy winner, bassist Mark Fain (Bruce Hornsby / Ricky Scaggs). These guys sounded great ... and it's always nice to play with great musicians ... they make me sound better than I am. Anyway, like Terri, I've never worked with these fellows before.

The night was fun ... one of those 'hit the ground running' with no rehearsals ... making our way through various jazz/blues standards and a few originals. I got some positive feedback from the band, and everyone asked for my card ... plus inquiries about road work with one strong possibility of working with a Warner Brothers artist that I'm already friends with. More on THAT later ... if it happens.

NY Frank

Fantastic.

It must be quite an experience playing and networking with a circle of people like that.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: New York Frank on August 30, 2007, 08:27 AM
It must be quite an experience playing and networking with a circle of people like that.

Mark Fain mentioned (before the gig mind you) that Sonny Emory is playing drums for Bruce Hornsby. I had one of those worried "oh, great" moments for a split second, you know, the whole comparison thing, but luckily I kept my mind on trying to make good music and not about all the great drummers these guys have worked with over the years.

drummercous

Congratulations. Like so many great musicians, you have a sense of humility, but you've paid your dues, and done the work to prepare for these kind of gigs. I'm sure you played well. Thanks for sharing!

Todd Norris

Very cool Bart!  Any short video clips by any chance? 

PS:  I like your Picasso quote...

Louis Russell

Quote from: Drum4JC on August 30, 2007, 10:57 PMPS:  I like your Picasso quote...

Me too!  It reminds me of something my great grandfather told me many years ago.  He said "if you don't like what you are doing, do something else!"

Scott

Cool, Bart!!  Thanks for sharing this.  I know you sounded great.

Man, I can't believe it's been over 5 years since I've heard you play live (remember that, Louis?   ;)). 

Louis Russell

Quote from: Scott on August 31, 2007, 10:58 AM
Cool, Bart!!  Thanks for sharing this.  I know you sounded great.

Man, I can't believe it's been over 5 years since I've heard you play live (remember that, Louis?   ;)). 

Dang, has it been 5 years already?  That was a fun night, great music, good food, and talking with great drum friends.  It is time to do it again.  I have the pic of Bart standing up looking over his kit trying to read from the music stand across the stage.  ;D

NY Frank

Quote from: Louis on August 31, 2007, 09:58 AM
Me too!  It reminds me of something my great grandfather told me many years ago.  He said "if you don't like what you are doing, do something else!"

That's the plan here - after our Lotto win, of course.   ;D

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Drum4JC on August 30, 2007, 10:57 PM
Very cool Bart!  Any short video clips by any chance?

No video; sorry.

Quote from: Scott on August 31, 2007, 10:58 AM
Man, I can't believe it's been over 5 years since I've heard you play live (remember that, Louis?

Paul Littlejohn (aka diddle) was there too if you remember. He wasn't able to stay long, but I believe we all got to meet him ... right diddle?

Louis Russell

Quote from: Bart Elliott on August 31, 2007, 09:42 PMPaul Littlejohn (aka diddle) was there too if you remember. He wasn't able to stay long, but I believe we all got to meet him ... right diddle?

Yes he was and it is time to do it again.   

Paicey

Quote from: Bart Elliott on August 30, 2007, 07:54 AM
Played a great show at F. Scott's Jazz Bar (Nashville) with jazz/blues singer and songwriter Terri Brinegar. I've never worked with Terri before. She moved to Nashville via Los Angeles a little over a year ago. Her former drummer was none other than Rick Latham.

Also on the line-up was guitarist Greg Foresman (Martina McBride), pianist Jim Medlin (Martina McBride) and 6 time Grammy winner, bassist Mark Fain (Bruce Hornsby / Ricky Scaggs). These guys sounded great ... and it's always nice to play with great musicians ... they make me sound better than I am. Anyway, like Terri, I've never worked with these fellows before.

The night was fun ... one of those 'hit the ground running' with no rehearsals ... making our way through various jazz/blues standards and a few originals. I got some positive feedback from the band, and everyone asked for my card ... plus inquiries about road work with one strong possibility of working with a Warner Brothers artist that I'm already friends with. More on THAT later ... if it happens.
Do it to! it drummer!. You had some big shoes to fill (Latham) and sounds like you kicked it major. Ive got Lathams crystal ball. Thats as close to Latham as i get. No rehearsals?, well ill be a son of a beech custom. Yer the man!.

Bart Elliott

Just played the same venue again with the same artist, Terri Brinegar. Thought we were going to have the same line-up as last time, but it was different ... and still great.

Guitarist Greg Foresman ( http://www.martina-mcbride.com/]Martina McBride ) was back, with Kevin Adams ( http://www.leeannwomack.com/]Lee Ann Womack ) on piano and Paul Chapman ( http://www.terriclark.com]Terri Clark ) on bass.

I actually played with Kevin for the first time last Saturday at Guido's New York Pizza. It was a jazz trio with Ross Krutsinger on bass. We had a lot of fun, and really got outside the box a bit that night.

Anyway ... the jazz/blues gig at F. Scott's last night was a blast ... even though we really had to hold back on the volume (small club), if you know what I mean.

I hope this gig turns into a monthly occasion; and more frequency would be most welcome.

HDT

Sounds like you are in a pretty good place right now Bart!  Only in Nashville could you play with the likes of Kevin Adams... at a pizza joint!  fun, fun FUN!

Bart Elliott

Just got back a few hours ago from a little jazz jam that we had over at Greg Foresman's house. Greg was on guitar, Kevin Adams on keyboards ... so it was just a trio with me on drums. Played a bunch of jazz standards (T. Monk, M. Davis, J. Coltrane, etc.) as well as some originals that Kevin Adams wrote.

I had a great time. It was especially fun to spend the afternoon, during a week day, playing for fun ... let alone jazz.

I've got some serious woodshedding to do.   :)

William Leslie

Hey Bart, Not meaning to create a problem for you, but how is it you end up working with a great looking female no matter where you work. Most times I'm lucky to have a female near the band, but having  GREAT looking one in the band is out of the question. I just have to find a new bookie. I'm tired of getting the short end of the stick. Life is too short for this kind of foolish. I'd offer you good luck with your next gig, but just don't need it.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Terry on January 15, 2008, 08:42 PM
... how is it you end up working with a great looking female no matter where you work.

Working with another one tonight ... Tara La'Dell.
http://www.drummercafe.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,2/topic,23029.msg261635

Tara just moved to Nashville not long ago. Has worked with a lot of different acts including The Gatlin Brothers. Her new independent CD just came out. Paul Leim and Eddie Bayers played drums on the album ... so I've got some big shoes to fill.

The gig tonight should be fun, although we aren't using a bass player tonight (long story). The Wooten Brothers go on after us.

I like Tara a lot. She's a great person and has a nice sound ... a mix of jazz and country ... sort of like Bonnie Raitt / Linda Ronstadt ... minus the blues.

William Leslie

Bart, WIth my head held low, and my foot in my mouth, I am now wishing you good luck on this gig. Talent wins out every time. I hope everything goes well for all concerned. Please let us know how the whole evening goes. It should be great. Thank you for the up date.
'

Bart Elliott

Bart Elliott

I had a one-day (yesterday) session with  http://www.myspace.com/terribrinegar]Terri Brinegar , an artist I work with from time to time. In the past the gigs have been jazz lounge gigs playing mostly standards, but recently I played for Terri's CD Release Party ... and the original music is more R&B.

The session yesterday was about recording three new songs written by Terri. We went in the studio and worked out arrangements, having never played the tunes before, and laid them down. We did a few overdubs (e.g. percussion, guitar, keys) plus a few fixes from the other players since everyone tracked together in one take. I didn't have any fixes  ;D (surprise!).

Terri stayed at the studio after we were done and tracked her vocals as well as BGVs.

This was more of a demo session, but she said she may use it on a future album ... who knows.

If you'd like to hear the tracks, she already posted them on her MySpace page this morning.
http://www.myspace.com/terribrinegar]
www.myspace.com/terribrinegar

Listen to from yesterday's session:
Little Things
Surrender To Lovin You
That's How I Know

The other tunes on her MySpace page (at the time of this post) are from her album ... and Rick Latham is playing drums, not me.

I had a lot of fun with these three tunes because the sound retro. We went for more of an "old school" approach to our parts and the way we tracked everything. It's rough mixes with no track editing; it is what it is.

On my computer speakers the lead vocal sounds a little too hot for my taste.

I used the studio's old Ludwig kit, my Fibes 6.5x14 Snare, Sabian Cymbals, DW Pedal ... plus my own percussion instruments. I think that Snare sounded great; the tracks are open enough that the engineer didn't EQ the drum (his words). I brought other Snares and a mix of Sabian Cymbals, but I ended up using the same set-up for all three tunes since we were watching the clock, and these were demos.

It was a joy getting to work with Greg Foresman (guitar), Kevin Adams (piano/keys), Paul Chapman (bass) and of course Terri in the studio; first time in the studio with these musicians. I've had SO many gigs/sessions lately where no one is listening or working together (i.e. no pocket/feel) that I about wanted to give up playing music completely (and I'm not joking, ask my wife)! These guys made it easy to groove ... and gave me a love for playing and making music ... again.