Topic: What are you currently working on?  (Read 9222 times)

Offline ayl19

• Copper Member
Re: What are you currently working on?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 09:00 PM »
PSdrummer:

Which issue of MD is that transcription in? I'd really like to see how accurately i'm playing it.

Offline Chonson

• VIP / Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 10:19 PM »
A handful of things for me.
At a high level: General hand technique, and strengthening time.

The tools: Beatnik Analyzer, practice pad, metronome, drum machine.
The books: Stick Control, The Art of Bop Drumming, Time Awareness for All Musicians (Erskine)

The routine:
A few minutes of general stretching and sticking exercises to get kind of warmed up and awake, as it were. No metronome as this is just a physical warmup.
After that, metronome goes on. Various tempos. Either basic rudiments or the first three pages of Stick Control. Also try and work on smooth transitions between subdivisions -- eighths to triplets & back more than anything.
At this point I may swap to the Beatnik if I'm not happy with the time or really want to focus on my accuracy. This is usually a total bummer. :)

After a while, I'll switch to Art of Bop Drumming or Time Awareness and work on some jazz stuff. I will usually swap to my drum machine and play to a pattern I've got that's a bass laying down straight quarters, as opposed to the insistent click of the metronome. I'm still trying to get the feel and basic independence; sometimes I'll practice keeping straight time at various tempos.

My weak spots are hand speed and time, specifically rushing the spaces between notes. If it's evenly spaced, it's less of a problem. When you get alternating dense/sparse clusters of notes, I rush the dense stuff. I'm really trying to work on giving each note its full value and hitting everything with complete authority and not trying to sneak something in. Hand speed just isn't where it needs to be but gets better.

Offline Bob Pettit

• Cafe VIP
  • Designated Driver
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 10:57 PM »
I'm gigging most weekends, so also try to play some every weekday too.

I usually sit at my roots kit and run through stuff that, if I don't play all the time, starts to deteriorate, like polyrhythms between feet and hands. I'll work a right foot cascara against a left foot clave while playing a guaguanco with the hands. Maybe do a 6/8 clave on the left foot against a 6/8 conga rhythm while playing 3-1 on djun djun with my right foot. I work to free solo across the foot rhythms, coming back to the original beats. The beats I work are compositions, an A part, a B part, a C part, then back to the A part.

Most of my stuff is my stuff, with a tip of the hat to afro-cuban. I keep working it, it's what I do.

Offline Scott

• Cafe VIP
    • Scott Miles
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 09:29 AM »
Since I'm constantly involved in different projects, I try and tailor my practice routine around the project that I'm currently involved in or have been hired for, with emphasis on any glaring weaknesses.  For example, if I get a call to do a blues or jazz gig and I have at least a couple of days or a week before the gig, then I might structure a practice routine around my hands and especially, the left hand. 

Then, since I have limited practice time, I usually try to come up with exercises that incorporate as many things as possible (i.e. killing as many birds with one stone as possible).  So in the case of the left hand work example, I might take Syncopation and use about four or so pages of exercises to read through while playing 16th notes with my left hand starting at around 90 or 95 bpm, and then play the written rhythms with my right hand while playing a songo bass drum pattern and 1 and 3 on the hi-hat.  I might work this up to just over 100 bpm while really concentrating on all aspects of the exercise:  making sure the left hand is relaxed and even, making sure all the limbs are lining up correctly and paying close attention to dynamics between the limbs.  So an exercise like this ends up working the left hand (both speed and endurance), independence/coordination, dynamics and reading all at once.  I might spend 30 minutes or longer on this type of thing, working at different tempos, using different ostinatos with the feet, and/or using different ways to read the written rhythms.  Then, each day leading up to the gig, I might try and improve on how long I play each page or pages (endurance) as well as trying to bump up the bpm by one bpm each day (speed and control). 

Then, depending on the kind of music I'll be performing on the project or on the gig coming up, I might work specifically on playing along to the music itself, or music within that particular style for another 30 minutes or so.  Overall, I can get a pretty efficient practice session within an hour each day if needed.  Almost 100% of the time, these types of practice sessions are done on a practice pad and even with brushes sometimes, so they can be done almost anywhere (I practice in my car a lot, which is also where I do all my singing practice, too).

If I have time, or feel I need extra work, I might work out of a specific method book for an additional 15 minutes or so and choose the one that is applicable to the project I'm preparing for (i.e. New Breed, Future Sounds, the Cirone book, any John Riley book, any latin rhythms book, etc.). 

That's pretty much what I'm currently working on in my practice sessions.  Most of my gigs these days are on hand percussion, so when I do get a call for drumset work, I find that I can still keep my hands and mind in shape through these types of practice sessions.  However, there's still a lot of stuff that I don't get to work on, including new things that I would love to work on and those are the things that would require a more structured and goal-oriented practice routine.  I'm planning on starting a more structured practice routine in the Fall, but again, it just all depends mostly on the current project/work at hand.   

Offline Todd Knapp

• Cafe VIP
    • Todd Knapp Drums & Percussion
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 04:47 PM »
I haven't been behind a drum kit since July 10. Arrrgh....

But, I've been working on a pad as often as I can squeeze in to a very hectic schedule of changing countries, getting married and redecorating my soon-to-be mother-in-law's house.

I've been working on finger strength and dexterity using various exercises, especially in my left hand. Combining this with work on my single-stroke roll. Working on open-close/push-pull/drop-point technique, Moeller and reduced Moeller from a low height and creating even subdivisions with this at higher speeds. Working on interlacing Moeller strokes to create various combinations. 

The finger exercises I've largely gleaned from Chaffee, and include playing successive groups of various subdivisions moving from one finger to the next. I'm also using a few things taken from Mayer's new DVD.

The open-close/drop-point technique I've been working on for a long time. In part because it was integral to jazz ride technique I studied with Jim Blackley. I'm working to maintain even sixteenths with both hands, using my right hand to help train my left. Also working this technique through a range of wrist/forearm positions from "French" to "German". I've come to understand, however, that for a long time I was fighting physics by having my hands too high in relation to the drum head. If I bring them down and get the stick as close to horizontal as possible when in the starting position, it makes this technique much easier to execute.

I've also been doing some "one hand clapping" while doing other things, and have been working on further training my left foot to tap eights and quarters with my heel while my right foot plays various patterns. I've been doing this when I'm just sitting around doing something else, riding in the car, etc. I've also taken the opportunity to listen to a lot of music and just absorb some ideas. For a awhile there on ships I was playing a lot everyday and when I wasn't playing the last thing I wanted to do was really listen intently to music. Now it's my only way out of the no-playing doldrums...

Can't wait until I get a kit set up again soon!

Offline Paul DAngelo

• Cafe VIP
  • Greybeard
    • Paul D'Angelo
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 06:23 PM »
Well, most everybody here has a lot more discipline than I do as far as working on particular components of their drumming.  I usually work on different styles (rock, swing, jazz, funk, etc.) more than I work on rudiments or sticking or something quite that explicit.  Working on different styles requires me to work on different aspects of my playing, so I think I get a lot out of my regimen.  Plus it helps me play the wide variety of styles that I'm playing in the 2 bands I'm currently in.
When you're going through Hell, keep going.  (Winston Churchill)

Paicey

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Ive been working on getting Ian Paices single stroke as on Space truckin or Jerry Edmontons as on Move over (Steppinwolf) check that! out for a single thats near unobtainable. Im VERY impatient but am using Steve Smiths attitude to help when i want to throw my pad out the front window >:(. I dont know if anyone feels the same way but im now doing daily sessions with my left hand only. My left hand is thee culpret in my lack of ultimate achievement for this endeavor. My attitude now is hmmm?, so you dont want to conform lefty?, ill drill you daily until you do!!. I do see slow improvement but patients is NOT a virtue of mine. I love this thread!!. I can use this also as inspiration knowing that my drumming family is working on difficulties right along with me.

Offline Mark Counts

• Cafe VIP
  • It is OK to be a little Nutz!!!
    • Mark T. Counts
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 03:46 PM »
I am working on my left hand and foot more.  I am also working on opening up my fills and backing off of the speed rolls.  Trying to put more air/space in my fills.  Spending more time concentrating on the meter and staying solid.
                           Nutty
I love The Cafe. "God First". If there is music today, it is a great day".
"Tama Star Classics and Paiste cymbals for ever" !!!

Offline lrac3

• Cafe VIP
  • I enjoy wood to metal contact.
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 04:08 PM »
I have been very inspired as of late. i'm reading Effortless Mastery by jazz pianist Kenny Werner.  It was referred to me by a sax player friend of mine. it's all about trying to get the ego out of your playing, and "liberating the master musician within".  i'm about half finished with it, and i'm really diggin' it.  it included a cd of "meditations" that serve as an aid to the book.  i highly recommend checkin' it out if you get the chance!

felix

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 05:36 PM »
I have been very inspired as of late. i'm reading Effortless Mastery by jazz pianist Kenny Werner.  It was referred to me by a sax player friend of mine. it's all about trying to get the ego out of your playing, and "liberating the master musician within".  i'm about half finished with it, and i'm really diggin' it.  it included a cd of "meditations" that serve as an aid to the book.  i highly recommend checkin' it out if you get the chance!

yep.  I read this book 3X

I've recommended it alot also.  Unfortunatley, everyone I've recommended it to did not like it as much as me.  It really worked great for me personally.

It's not for everyone I've found out.  Especially people with big egos  ::)  ;D

Offline lrac3

• Cafe VIP
  • I enjoy wood to metal contact.
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2007, 04:23 PM »
yep.  I read this book 3X

I've recommended it alot also.  Unfortunatley, everyone I've recommended it to did not like it as much as me.  It really worked great for me personally.

It's not for everyone I've found out.  Especially people with big egos  ::)  ;D
right on felix! i can honestly say i've been diggin' it. finding this book has definately come at the right time in my life. 

TheAudiophobe

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2007, 12:25 AM »
I've actually been spending a lot of time transcribing my own drum parts for the tunes I play with my band, for a few reasons:

1) I'm going on a 2-week mini-tour to New Orleans (from Philly) this winter, so I wanted to really "say what I want to say", so to speak.

2) After said tour, we're going into the studio for a few months to track our first full-length track (with a producer - eek!). Granted, we won't be doing this til Jan or Feb, but why wait to really get my parts down? Besides, who wants to be beat-mapped, anyway?

3) Not only do I want to do the obvious "cleaning" that needs to be done with my own parts, but it also gives me a chance to really tweak what it is that I'm actually playing.

4) I guess in general, I've been really focusing on the clarity of my playing - both the notes and the message I (we) are portraying. Music IS art, after all :P.

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2007, 10:00 AM »
I'm trying to get some feel back in my right (kick) foot. Before my accident I had a very good kick. I could play with feel from the ball of my foot and toes. But now I have to wear a plastic guard that goes inside my right shoe. It straps to the calf of my leg, then runs inside my shoe formed to my foot. Since I no longer can feel the bass pedal, I have to play purely by sound. Not an easy task but I'm getting the hang of it. (Not that I have a choice in the matter.  :P
Last night I jammed with some guys for a couple hours. They sounded like they needed the practice more than I did.    ;D   But hey, at least it's a start to recovery and playing again.   ;)
Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

Offline Mark Counts

• Cafe VIP
    • Mark T. Counts
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2007, 08:31 PM »
I'm trying to get some feel back in my right (kick) foot. Before my accident I had a very good kick. I could play with feel from the ball of my foot and toes. But now I have to wear a plastic guard that goes inside my right shoe. It straps to the calf of my leg, then runs inside my shoe formed to my foot. Since I no longer can feel the bass pedal, I have to play purely by sound. Not an easy task but I'm getting the hang of it. (Not that I have a choice in the matter.  :P
Last night I jammed with some guys for a couple hours. They sounded like they needed the practice more than I did.    ;D   But hey, at least it's a start to recovery and playing again.   ;)
Hey Chip,
I am glad you are getting back into it.  Good luck and keep it up.
                       Nutty

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Thanks Nutty! I'm very happy to be back with the DC gang again.   ;D
Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

Offline Anthony Manning-Franklin

• VIP / Subscriber
  • Purple!
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2007, 12:07 PM »
Consistency consistency  consistency.

Did I mention consistency?

I've been starting all of my practices with Bart's endurance method. And the last couple of practices I've been sitting there playing a single stroke roll on the snare but rimshotting every hit and trying to make it sound as even as humanly possible. This has also made my back beat more consistent, but ever now and then I still miss the rim or the head. Tis driving me nuts. I also spend a lot of time running through all of my bands songs to a metronome, because I don't want to be the weakest link I'd like to be the strongest member of the band heh. In my previous bands I'd never really done the drummer thing properly, I'd often end up following the guitars rather then leading the time and locking in with the bass.

So far one thing that's really been driving me crazy is this one song with blast beats. It starts out ok, but then the snare wants to get back on the 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & when it should be on the E's and A's. So that throws the timing right off.

I've also been trying to get my set up perfect, so that with my condition I can get a great record-able sound. This has meant taking out all my float toms and only using a 16" floor tom and 13" snare. However I plan to replace the floor tom with a 14". I also replaced the floor tom's heads with EC1's for more and brighter attack, but I might see what Aquarian has.

I usually end my session with some jazz stuff, or a bit of a Bonham impersonation, just as a fun treat. Often/consistently interrupted by a call from my girlfriend  ::)  :o
wHeeeee!

Offline David Newman

• Cafe VIP
    • nuclearnewman
    • Bentley's Drum Shop
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2007, 11:28 PM »
After doing my best to make myself visible here in St. Louis, a little work is starting to present itself. I've been really trying to reinforce my repertoire lately because I've found myself drawing blanks on melodies when tunes are called and I don't like to just fake it with the form unless I have to.

I also joined a jazz/funk trio that is pretty interesting, so I have been trying to work on my rock chops a bit more. I discovered that all of the straight-ahead jazz turned me into a pretty light player, so I'm making a conscious effort to dig in a little more when it's appropriate.

My brush playing is passable, but I admire great brush playing so much that I really want to push myself in this area more. It's been on my mind as well.

I have been focusing on the exercises from Jojo's DVD as well, particularly in regard to isolating all of the individual muscle groups from pinky to shoulder and making sure they are all working for me.

Jim P

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2007, 06:46 AM »
I am working on getting my 12 year old in the position to be able to audition for Eastman in 6 years.  He's definately on the right track.   Yahooooooooooooo

Offline Mark Counts

• Cafe VIP
    • Mark T. Counts
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2007, 07:09 AM »
As of right now, I am playing with 3 bands and church. The last band I got envolved with plays great Classic Rock songs and a great list of Modern Rock songs so I am learning about 45 to 50 songs. 20 or so I have never played before but the newer venture has been together 15 years and just needed a drummer. In a previous thread, I went to jam with them and Chris kinda interpreted it as an audition.  I guess I shouldn't have made a comment to help the singer.  Anyway, they called me back and we have jammed again and are already booked for two gigs in October.
                             Nutty

felix

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2007, 08:59 AM »
"das dahble bass shuffle"  and we can even use it as an ostinato yah!

Triplets, millions of triplets for you and for me.

And we even dahble de dahble bass triplet yah and make it a sextuplet *according to Einstein's theory of relativity*

General rock and rolling, groove and bluez drumming  ;D

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram