• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

showmanship cross over toms

Started by Johnobonham, October 11, 2007, 08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnobonham

at about 36 seconds although he is playing with brushes he is doing a cool cross over on the toms, i dont supose anyone knows exactly what hes doing do they? Johno

Chip Donaho

Only a couple times did I see him even cross over with his left. Most times he used his right for tom work. I really didn't see anything out of the ordinary.   :-\   

Ryan

I mean, I can't pick out the exact notes, but he's just going back and forth between the snare and the floor with his right arm and the high tom and floor with his left, so it just looks like he has his arms placed that way for necessity.  If he crossed his right arm over his left, that'd make it hard to get the left back to the high tom.

felix

He's a great player.

I heard the 6 stroke rolls in the beginning, alot of triplet figures with the brushes and some other things that blazed away that I didn't catch.

Hugo Gouveia

Quote from: theartist336 on October 13, 2007, 12:36 PM
that's Gil Sharone from the dillinger escape plan!

The new guy eh? Between people who enjoy them, he's been getting tons of props.
(the former drummer left to join Coheed and Cambria, which left some people confused.)

Johnobonham

whoa really? thats mental, gil sharone stood in for that plus 44, more of a reggae drummer, drumming for dillinger now? and chris pennie is in cohheed?! wow whats goign  on he he. Just want to know some cool snare and tom cross over tricks of anyone has them.

Hugo Gouveia

Hey, sorry for "rezzing" this but since I don't feel capable of writing a decent review for the album, I'll just say this right here:

For those who tolerate The Dillinger Escape Plan, you MUST check out the new album "Ire Works". I find it to be amazing, and the drumming is delicious (when not insane due to the way the band makes music).
Even for those who don't enjoy their more extreme sound, I say: check out the last song on the CD..."Mouth Of Ghosts"... a great "style hybrid" song, with tasteful drumming throughout its 6 and so minutes (the vocalist only screams nearer to the end, so you can still enjoy quite a few minutes of it if you prefer not to hear that.)

Todd Knapp

The coolest thing he plays (in my eyes) isn't those tom fills but that little swung hip-hop groove.  8)

I can't make out the sound of that brush bit to tell what's happening. It is a repetitive pattern but it's just too muddy to make out.

Joe

(replying without reading much of the thread)

My goodness, he's quite good.  No, that's quite out of the ordinary; brushes are not the most aerodynamic things in the world, and you run the risk of getting stabbed.  He had speed and precision with both sticks and brushes, and his talent extends to rhythm as well.  He also inspired me to go try cranking my piccolo after I finish this post. :)

(after reading the thread)

Oh, he's the drummer for Dillinger Escape Plan, who, while a band I'm not a fan of, does have a healthy respect for doesn't suck.  No wonder. :)