• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Ludwig Black Beauty

Started by js, March 22, 2002, 07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

js

I've just invested in a Ludwig Black Beauty 6.5" snare drum.  I know these drums have a good rep, but what can you gear guru's tell me about these drums?  Why are they so expensive?  (I actually paid 300 for mine!)  :)

Bart Elliott

Rather than go into the whole history of the LUDWIG Black Beauty, I'll just try to make it simple.

The old vintage Black Beauty shells were made of spun brass, plated with a gunmetal finish of black nickel. It was lacquered after being engraved to protect the contrasting color of the brass against the black nickel background. The hardware was usually Gold or Artgold.

With the expense of using brass, not to mention all of the workmanship that went into the engraving, it's no wonder why these drums are pricey; new or old.

For more information about the history of the Ludwig Black Beauty, pick up a copy of John Aldridge's Guide to Vintage Drums. There's also (which I don't have yet) the History  of the Ludwig Drum Company by Paul Schmidt, and Complete History of the Leedy Drum Co. by Rob Cook ... which may give you some more insight.

Leedy's Black Elite and Slingerland's Black Beauty all used the same type of description; engraved shells, plated in a contrasting color.