Topic: Show us your drum/perc set-up  (Read 147311 times)

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
Re: Show us your drum/perc set-up
« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2009, 07:00 PM »
OK, the kit is cleaned and ready to play.  I had to lower my cymbals beacuse of my shoulder.  My chops are rusty after the long layoff but I hope to have them back soon.  Oh yeah. this will be the last time you see the kit with no cowbells. 

No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

Offline NY Frank

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Looks great, Louis.
+
Frank
Just play

Bionic Ankle    "... we can rebuild him ..."

Offline Susan Wood

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2009, 09:16 PM »
OK, the kit is cleaned and ready to play.  I had to lower my cymbals beacuse of my shoulder.  My chops are rusty after the long layoff but I hope to have them back soon.  Oh yeah. this will be the last time you see the kit with no cowbells. 

Great look...can I ask you where you got the L...love it...maybe I need an S.

Offline Ryan Culberson

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #183 on: September 14, 2009, 12:42 AM »
Beautiful kit, Louis!!!!! 

Here's a picture from yesterday's recording session in which I used that old stencil Royal Star kit that I posted about a few weeks ago. 

They sounded amazing and the mojo positively oozed out of them.  Yummy! 

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" 

- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Offline Larry Rankine

• Cafe VIP
    • Larry Rankine
« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2009, 05:41 AM »
Great looking kits guys!

Speaking of cowbells.................as soon as I can figure out where I want mine to be I'll be adding that to the toolkit.   Can't really cover Honty Tonk Women without one!  8)
TAMA Starclassic Bubinga and Bubinga/Birch teamed up with Zildjian!!.......and now Sabian too!

Better than this?!?!

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2009, 07:00 AM »
Louis, that kit looks showroom new!!  Very nice.

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2009, 10:54 AM »
Nice set Louis, they're even clean.... :o
Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

Offline Christopher

• Cafe VIP
  • That's MR. Colaiuta to you...
« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2009, 03:28 PM »

Louis,

Laverne Defazio called.

She's pissed, and wants her drums back... now!

;)
"What one man can do, another can do."
-Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkin's character from the 1997 movie, The Edge)

Offline NY Frank

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #188 on: September 14, 2009, 06:27 PM »
Louis,

Laverne Defazio called.

;)

Shoots - Score!
+
Frank
Just play

Bionic Ankle    "... we can rebuild him ..."

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #189 on: September 14, 2009, 08:24 PM »
Louis,

Laverne Defazio called.

Her L is black and mine is white!   ;D  The drums were made in 1990 and sat in a warehouse for a while.  I bought them new in 97 and used them often until a little over 3 years ago.  Good equipment is easy to keep looking good if you don't abuse them or let the crud build up too long.  I have always been one to do preventative maintenance on my gear.  I think your equipment will sound better if it is clean not to mention looking better under the lights. 
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

Offline Bob Dias

• Cafe VIP
  • mmmmm...staves
    • Ugly Rumor
« Reply #190 on: January 05, 2010, 09:43 AM »
Where is all the new gear from Santa? Or were we all bad little drummer boys (and girls) in '09? 

B.

ps...I got two new groove wedges; not really picture worthy however.
"It's O.K. if you only know three chords, but for God's sake, play'em in the right order" (H. Hill)

Offline Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
« Reply #191 on: January 12, 2010, 08:45 AM »
Here's a pic of my pearls Masters at the studio

You don't practice one day no one notices, you don't practice two days you notice, you don't practice three days everyone notices.

Offline Larry Rankine

• Cafe VIP
    • Larry Rankine
« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2010, 08:55 AM »
Great looking kit DL!  Especially the color!.........But then again, I'm partial to green!   ;D
TAMA Starclassic Bubinga and Bubinga/Birch teamed up with Zildjian!!.......and now Sabian too!

Better than this?!?!

Offline Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
« Reply #193 on: January 12, 2010, 09:55 AM »
Thanks Larry  ;D
You don't practice one day no one notices, you don't practice two days you notice, you don't practice three days everyone notices.

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #194 on: January 12, 2010, 06:11 PM »
That green looks great. But there's something wrong....No stick marks!  :D
Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

Offline Larry Rankine

• Cafe VIP
    • Larry Rankine
« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2010, 07:05 PM »
Looks like a brand spanking new set of Evans heads!  Sweet!  ;D

Better than this?!?!

Offline Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2010, 11:27 AM »
Yeah just changed the heads when I took the pic  :D

Offline JeepnDrummer

• Cafe VIP
  • Ding, fries are done!
« Reply #197 on: March 16, 2010, 01:56 AM »
Below are a few older pix of my Tempus kit, which was made in the late '80s based on the serial numbers.  It consists of two 24x17 bass drums, 13x14 & 14x14 mounted toms, and 16 & 18" floor toms.  I had to completely stip it down, clean it, and replace some parts.

The prior owner was fascinated with black, as evident by all rims and hardware spray painted black.  He also placed wide black tape on each end of every shell as well.  I wish I had taken "before" pictures.

Paul Mason at Tempus Drums cut the small toms down to 14x10 and 13x9.  I ordered new rims because I got tired of removing so much spray paint.  All tom and leg mounts were the precursor to the current black Gibraltar rod style mounts. 

New parts: DW leg mounts for the f/toms, Dunnett clamshell spur mounts and gull wing spurs for the bass drum, GPI RIMS and Yamaha mount for the 14" tom, and new fiberglass hoops for the bass drum.  I abandoned the Dunnett gull wing spurs because I didn't want to redrill, so I went back to the spikes.

I now use the 13" tom, which has the Gibralter style mount (will be replaced with a DW mount).  It only has one extra hole in the shell from moving the Tempus badge.  The 14" tom also has an extra hole from moving the badge, but since I'm using the GPI RIMS, it shows the tom mount holes as well.

I hope to get a few updated pix up soon.  These will have to do for now.  14" tom and 18" f/t in all of these pix.  I now use the 13" mounted tom and both f/toms in my set up.

This shows the cover that Paul Mason made for me to hide the hole in the shell after removing the Pearl double tom mount.  It looks much better in person.

Offline DR

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #198 on: March 16, 2010, 04:42 AM »
Below are a few older pix of my Tempus kit, which was made in the late '80s based on the serial numbers.  It consists of two 24x17 bass drums, 13x14 & 14x14 mounted toms, and 16 & 18" floor toms.  I had to completely stip it down, clean it, and replace some parts.

The prior owner was fascinated with black, as evident by all rims and hardware spray painted black.  He also placed wide black tape on each end of every shell as well.  I wish I had taken "before" pictures...
Good work!

Offline Patrick Quigley

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2010, 10:12 PM »

My new Dark Horse Percussion tubs. 14x14, 18x16, 22x22, 14x8.
Patrick Quigley
analecta - Instrumental Post Rock
www.facebook.com/analecta

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram