Topic: Show us your drum/perc set-up  (Read 148036 times)

Offline Adam's Dad

• Cafe VIP
  • '71 Ludwig Micro-Bop
Re: Show us your drum/perc set-up
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2010, 01:16 PM »
OK, the kit is cleaned and ready to play....

Tell me about the snare.  It looks like a Ludwig Supra 400 with gold plated rims and casings.  What's the story?  BTW, this set looks great!
"Put your foot on the rock and pat your foot, don't stop, put your foot on the rock" - Bill Withers from Kissing My Love"

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Hybrid Drum/Percussion Set-up
« Reply #201 on: March 31, 2010, 02:46 PM »
Here's a set-up I used this past weekend in Harrisburg, PA. The Kick, Djembe, throne and music stands were backline since this was a fly-date.

The quartet I was working with consists of a vocalist, piano keyboardist who also sings, a guitar/harp/cello player and myself. The music is 100% improvised with no song lists, planning or discussion. I absolutely love this type of thing, and it definitely brings out my strengths as a player.

I never know what I'm going to play until it happens, so having lots of drum/perc instruments and toys to choose from is a real plus. My set-up and instrumentation is different every time, which is why I thought you might like seeing this particular set-up configuration. I usually prefer to use a 16x16 Floor Tom or ethnic drum as my Kick (in this kind of a set-up), but had to use what was available at the venue.

Offline Patrick Quigley

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #202 on: April 01, 2010, 07:17 AM »
Thats an awesome setup, bart.
Any video of the gig?
Patrick Quigley
analecta - Instrumental Post Rock
www.facebook.com/analecta

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #203 on: April 01, 2010, 08:48 AM »
Thats an awesome setup, bart.
Any video of the gig?

They were running five or six cameras the entire time, so I'm sure there's video, but I don't know if or when I'll have access. This particular group records every single performance, just in case there something good enough for a record.

donelk

« Reply #204 on: April 01, 2010, 10:33 AM »
I'm playing a similar set-up tomorrow (Friday 4-2) night. I'll try to take photos and post them.

Offline Patrick Quigley

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2010, 02:36 PM »
just in case there something good enough for a record.
I'm sure you gave them something ;)
Patrick Quigley
analecta - Instrumental Post Rock
www.facebook.com/analecta

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #206 on: April 04, 2010, 04:08 PM »
Mmmm....  blurry.

Same ol' Ludwigs.

Offline Ryan Culberson

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #207 on: April 04, 2010, 05:10 PM »
Jon, that set up looks very comfortable!  Looks like you could cover anything with that kit.

Here's what I'm running at this moment...

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" 

- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Offline Larry Rankine

• Cafe VIP
    • Larry Rankine
« Reply #208 on: April 04, 2010, 06:53 PM »
I see that lonely looking TAMA head peeking out from under the cabinet..... :'(
TAMA Starclassic Bubinga and Bubinga/Birch teamed up with Zildjian!!.......and now Sabian too!

Better than this?!?!

Offline Ryan Culberson

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #209 on: April 04, 2010, 07:22 PM »
Larry, my friend, I still own 2 sets worth of wonderful sounding Tama Starclassic Performer drums in silver sparkle wrap!  

18" and 22" bass drums

10", 12", 13", 14", 16" toms + 14" floor tom (w/legs)

Stewart Copeland signature snare - 5" X 14"

Tama steel-shelled piccolo snare - 4" X 13"

As a matter of fact, here ya go... ;)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" 

- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #210 on: April 10, 2010, 07:35 AM »
Ryno, my Ludwig kit IS a very comfortable setup.  Maybe TOO comfortable.  I'm been playing that rig for the past 7 seven years or so.  It might be time to mix things up a bit!!  We'll see.

Offline Tim van de Ven

• Cafe VIP
  • Making a living hitting things...
    • timothy.vandeven
    • timtacular
    • Tim's Website
« Reply #211 on: April 17, 2010, 09:19 PM »
Here's a shot from the driver's seat at a recording session in St-Sauveur, Quebec.

and a self-timer shot of me during the tracking:

Offline Larry Rankine

• Cafe VIP
    • Larry Rankine
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2010, 06:41 AM »
Looks great Ryan!   ;D  Are those Maple Starclassics?  Reason I'm asking is that I think a set of Starclassic Maple's are in my future.  I'm looking to have a slightly smaller "secondary" kit that I can leave set up at our rehearsal space.  Thoughts?
TAMA Starclassic Bubinga and Bubinga/Birch teamed up with Zildjian!!.......and now Sabian too!

Better than this?!?!

Offline Ryan Culberson

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2010, 06:10 PM »
Thanks Larry!  These are the older version of the Starclassic Performers, which are 100% birch shells.    

The newer version of the Starclassic Performers features a birch/bubinga mix.  Great drums, especially for the $$$.  Dale's Drum Shop in PA always has smokin' deals on SC Performer kits up on eBay.  

This finish doesn't do much for me, but here's an example of the kind of deals they usually run:  

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tama-drum-set-Starclassic-B-B-Astral-Black-Diamond-NEW_W0QQitemZ220590763283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335c3bed13]Tama Starclassic Performer B/B

If you dig the Bubinga sound (which I think you do...  ;)), then I think these birch/bubinga shelled kits MIGHT be right up your alley, at less than 1/2 what you'd pay for some SC Maples.    

- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Offline Larry Rankine

• Cafe VIP
    • Larry Rankine
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Thanks Ryan, appreciate the tip!  Sounds really Sweet!  I'll keep an eye out on ebay! 

And you're absolutely correct......I LOVE my Bubs!   8)

Better than this?!?!

Offline Rylie

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm really not this wide.
    • Red Velvet Mojo
« Reply #215 on: May 29, 2010, 12:55 PM »
Here's the Mapex QR kit I refinished and re-cut the bearing edges on recently. I can't tell you how pleased I am with the improvements, both in tone and looks. I posted pix in the drum builder forum, but these are better quality, and show how I have it set up.

Every shell sounds better and tunes easier than I could have ever imagined. There is no dampening required on any of the drums. I did put a coated Evans EQ3 resonant on the kick, along with an EMAD batter, but I will be removing the foam ring from it for the time being until I get a SK1 for it. The kick resonance is so danged sweet, and it booms like a cannon.

The snare is the Yamaha Tour Custom Maple that came with my shell pack (awesome).

Just further evidence that you don't have to take out a mortgage to get a nice kit...if you're willing to do some tweakin'  ;)

Anyway, here it is:

Shut up and play.

Offline Tim van de Ven

• Cafe VIP
  • Making a living hitting things...
    • timothy.vandeven
    • timtacular
    • Tim's Website
« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2010, 09:22 AM »
Soundcheck, prior to our show at the Montreal Jazz Festival last night; when we hit the stage, there wasn't an inch of space out in the audience....it was a sea of humanity...

and another shot...

Offline Rylie

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm really not this wide.
    • Red Velvet Mojo
« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Very cool! I mean, you know, for a "toy" drum kit. ;)

Someday, I'll get to experience that view...someday.
Shut up and play.

Offline Alan Kenny

• Copper Member
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
« Reply #218 on: August 22, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Hi everyone. My name is Alan. I'm new here to Drummer Cafe. I thought I would start with some pics of my main kit, the Ayotte Custom. I'm having a hard time uploading pics so here is a link to a video. Hope you enjoy.
Specs on request.
 ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kBP3So_Ijs#

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #219 on: September 19, 2010, 08:18 AM »
LOVE the wood-rimmed Roto!!  (say that 3 times fast!)

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram