Topic: homemade octobans/quarter toms  (Read 4007 times)

a_read_so_deep

homemade octobans/quarter toms
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:04 AM »
For the longest time ive been using roto toms to increase my tonal spectrum but i hate the way they look and they are barely holding up.
does anyone have any experience making their own quarter toms, if so give me tips on the process.
i was going to try to build some a while back but the home improvement store i went to didnt sell pvc pipe in 6 inches outter diameter

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
Re: homemade octobans/quarter toms
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 09:22 AM »
didnt sell pvc pipe in 6 inches outter diameter

Most pipe is sized by ID (inside diameter).  It will be difficult to find exactly 6 inch OD.  You could try some schedule 80 or higher 5 inch and that should be almost 6 inch OD, at least within a quarter inch or so undersize.  Your best bet would be contact your local heat/ac contractor and find some PVC Ducting.  You can get that in many large sizes and it is measured in OD if I remember correctly. 
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

Timekeep69

Re: homemade octobans/quarter toms
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:39 AM »
PVC is your cheapest option (if you can find it) but you can also get maple tubes ( I think they only go to 18") and acrylic tubes. Anderson International sells the maple tubes and there are a few places that sell the acrylic tubes (which are the most expensive).

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram