• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

"Fade" paint jobs

Started by Sjohnson, January 22, 2008, 05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sjohnson

Hi all - I was curious, I wanted to do a dark emerald green to black fade on my next snare drum - But now looking at them, I am curious, is this usualy done by a wrap? or by stain?

http://usera.imagecave.com/Prong/Drums001-copy.jpg

Anyone have any information on getting this effect? Any help would be appreciated.

One of the reasons I'm asking is I went by a few stores that sell paint and stain, and they could mix me any color stain I want, but they are saying I wont be happy with it because the color would never get "dark" no matter how many layers you put on it.  I dont know if this is true or not, so I wanted to ask a few of you that have some experience in this.

Thanks,

Steven

Louis Russell

It is hard, if not impossible to do a fade with stain.  I would hesitate to do a fade from top to bottom on a snare since it is not very deep and I am not that good with a spray gun.

Sjohnson

Quote from: Louis on January 22, 2008, 05:51 PM
It is hard, if not impossible to do a fade with stain.  I would hesitate to do a fade from top to bottom on a snare since it is not very deep and I am not that good with a spray gun.

I'm going to do it on 2 toms and a bass, also - just the snare is the next part on the table to get put together. :)

Sorry, should have been more specific.

Louis Russell

You need a high quality spray gun (an air brush is even better) mask off where you want the fade to stop.  Spray a very light coat (black first) from the tape to the bottom.  Let this dry well.  Drop down 1 inch and mask back up again.  The blue painters tape works best.  Spray another light coat of paint from there down.  Next continue to mask in 1/2 inch increments and spray down until you get to the dark black.  Make sure you let the paint dry well between coats.  Remove the tape and start again from the other side using the emerald green.  Start to mash off from 1/2 of the first black area you sprayed, this is the area where the two colors will blend.  You may want to experiment on scrap to see how wide an area you want to blend.  I have no idea how you would do it with stain because as they say, it only gets so dark and it is hard to do it lightly. 

Chip Donaho

You need to start with a base coat primer first thing. Then acrylic lacquor is the only paint that you can use that I know of. The gun has to be able to do a very fine spray. Louis is right, it's done in thin layers. Each coat, then stop and wait to dry. Takes a long time....Not something you do in an hour or two. My son does custom car painting. I've seen him take as long as a month or more on certain cars. The spray gun has to be spotless for each coat. Then a clear coat as the last process. Makes a shine and keeps it from cracking or chipping. He's got a compressor that will run an entire auto shop. It's for sale....You could buy an entire set for less money. You should go to an auto parts supply to get the proper spray gun, small compressor, and paints. You could rent the proper gear over a weekend to do a set with only two or three colors. Then you will need patience....Lots of it.  ;)  Don't forget, you'll need a mask for your face to breath through. Plus lots of air....That stuff will give you a colored face and a bad headache.  ::)  :P

Louis Russell

Quote from: Chip71 on January 22, 2008, 08:43 PMYou could rent the proper gear over a weekend to do a set with only two or three colors. Then you will need patience....Lots of it.  ;)

I don't think one weekend will be enough time.  It would be more cost effective to buy a good airbrush and use scuba tanks as the air source.  You can rent the tanks at your local scuba shop if you don't know a diver.  Fade painting takes much longer than you can imagine.

Chip Donaho

Quote from: Louis on January 22, 2008, 08:49 PM
Fade painting takes much longer than you can imagine.
You're right about that. Better take a week off from school or work. Don't forget to call your insurance man. Could burn down the garage if your careless.  ;D

Sjohnson

Thanks guys! That makes a lot of sense...

I looked on ebay and some of the better spray guns are only like 40 bucks - so I guess I'll pick up one of these, I already have the air compressor at the house, so it will be just one more thing in my shop. ;)

The only thing I'm a little confused about is - with the way you describe the paint job, and using the tape to get the fade, will that give me the "uneven" look on the drums? I mean, I dont want it to look like in one line it goes from black to emerald green.. (Hope I am explaining it well, if you need more clarification, just let me know) =)

Chip Donaho

You will need to practice on something 1st to get the "feel" for a proper fade. It's both in the distance you are from the object, and the way you move the gun with your wrist motion. Being closer then moving back will result in a heavy to fade action. Keeping the spray going in contant motion will give you less "blobs" on it. It takes a very steady hand, feel on the trigger, and moving back all in the same process. The minute you make a small change on the trigger can result in a "blob" being shot from the gun. It requires a good eye and smooth wrist action as you pull away from the object. I've watched my son do it several times. Takes lots of practice to get it right. Don't forget, you're dealing with a round object vs. a flat one. That also throws a curve at you....  ;)

Sjohnson

We have a few building projects going on over at our house - so All that scrap lumber is about to be funny colored, im sure. :)

Is there any certian type of paint/primer you would recommend that would work well on the maple?  I know there are a ton of different types. :)

Chip Donaho

I would ask your paint supplier for a base coat recommendation. Make sure you get something that is compatable with the paint you are using it with. A grey primer will look different than a red primer will in the final color. I doubt if the paint will make a difference whether it's maple wood or metal. Your supplier should be able to answer those questions.  :)  

Louis Russell

The tape is to protect the area you have already painted lightly.  You do not put an even coat on the rest, you have to paint a fade!  This takes practice, a lot of practice.  I have a friend who does custom paint and does fade paint with a small airbrush.  He never tapes but has been doing fade paints for almost 20 years. 

Chip Donaho

I'm very curious as to how this project comes out....Please keep us informed. Good luck!  ;)

Todd Norris

Quote from: Chip71 on January 23, 2008, 08:20 PM
I'm very curious as to how this project comes out....Please keep us informed. Good luck!  ;)

Yes, and by all means, post PHOTOS my good man!

Louis Russell

Just curious, have you made a go no-go decision?