• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

if you where given 10k

Started by a_read_so_deep, February 01, 2008, 12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_read_so_deep

to spend only on percussion..what would you buy
how would you deck out your kit.

Louis Russell

Quote from: a_read_so_deep on February 01, 2008, 12:28 PM
to spend only on percussion..what would you buy
how would you deck out your kit.

I am pretty much set up on drum kit stuff but I would probably go for a nice marimba and some lessons. 

a_read_so_deep

i read a previous post of yours that said something like buy cymbals once and cry once, and its the truth. im pretty sure that was you anyway.
i would probably purchase a gong, and some electric pads.
and a really nice throne that massages and heats up. mm. i dont think they have those. .. yet anyway..i bet i could really do some cool things with electric pads

Louis Russell

Quote from: a_read_so_deep on February 01, 2008, 01:26 PM
i read a previous post of yours that said something like buy cymbals once and cry once, and its the truth. im pretty sure that was you anyway.

Yes, an old man told me that when I was 16 or so.  I have three Zildjians I bought used in a pawn shop in 1967 and still play them today.  Buy Once, Cry Once has been my slogan since.  I wonder how much money I have saved by not upgrading my cymbals upteen times over the years? 

a_read_so_deep

after i make 2 more purchases ill have 2 crashes and a ride(paiste 2000)
3 little accent cymbals and 2 wuhan chinas. then ill be done for a while.
do some people constantly upgrade cymbals? that would be crazy
anyway. id also buy some sleighbells and put them on a mountable tambourine. ive never seen a mountable set of sleigh bells, and there is probably a reason.
you probably cant get much sound out of them unless you shake them i bet.

Dave Heim

I have enough stuff (although I plan to buy a Trick set this year).  :)

I'd upgrade the percussion equipment at my son's school.  New mallet percussion, some new Orff stuff for the Yutes, some better tymps.

Dave Heim

Quote from: a_read_so_deep on February 01, 2008, 02:27 PM
. . .  do some people constantly upgrade cymbals? that would be crazy. . .

I don't upgrade, but I seem to add to the herd from time to time.  I still have every cymbal I've ever bought.

And upgrading cymbals "would be crazy" because. . . .  ?

Ryan

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on February 01, 2008, 02:45 PM
And upgrading cymbals "would be crazy" because. . . .  ?

...I don't have that kind of money.

I think that's what he meant, too.

If I had $10,000, I wouldn't mind getting a nice Craviotto set.

Either that or I'd buy a lifetime supply of Earthtone heads for my Saluda kit.

a_read_so_deep

its not really crazy. just expensive. when i have just a few cymbals it feels more intimate i guess. i do enjoy when you buy a new cymbal and you have to spend time getting to know it sort of.

NY Frank

I would never want to go through anywhere near that much money for
equipment.  But if you made me spend some of it  :)   
I'd go for:
- More cymbals than I have today
- One or two insanely great snares that play themselves  :)
- Maybe a custom short stack kit

Dave Heim

Quote from: New York Frank on February 01, 2008, 04:46 PM
. . .
- One or two insanely great snares that play themselves  :)
. . .

Hmmm. . .  rather than stuff that plays itself, I'd opt for stuff that schlepps itself!  :)

Louis Russell

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on February 01, 2008, 04:53 PMI'd opt for stuff that schlepps itself!  :)

Let me know what you find!  I have cash set back for that type of equipment already.   ;D

yankeeboy13

I'd probably shop around for a while, and purchase a really nice kit to upgrade my Pearl Export. I'd like to eventually experiment with triggers as well, and wouldn't mind one of those big poofy thrones.

Vintage Ludwig

I dont know really-Im cool with the gear I have.  I would MAYBE cross over to some 40s or 50s or 60s K Zildjians?  I dont think it would be anywhere near 10k though.  I know they are pricey-and Im a pAisTe afficianado but thats probably what I would do. 

I wouldnt mind having a set of 26-28-29 copper bowl Ludwig tympani 8)

And take the 7K surplus and pay bills-

Chris Whitten

I'd ask if I could use it for a different purpose - like an investment or pension scheme.

But not to be a spoil sport - and as you mentioned studio work in another thread - I would make sure I had my studio arsenal together.
$4k or less on the perfect kit - 22" probably for studio work. a couple of rack toms and a couple of floors. A used shellpack like Gretsch (70's and 80's), Camco, Yamaha 9000, Fibes (90's).
Or pretty much any high-end contemporary kit would work (Pearl, Tama, DW, Pork Pie, N&C).
$2k  A studio ready set of cymbals - probably used.
Sabian, Paiste, Zildjian, Agop.
A varied selection of sizes including a couple of hi-hat choices and a couple of rides.
I'd choose the quietest, warmest cymbals available. Loud and cutting is not required in the studio.
$3k A selection of studio staple snares including the likes of:
Ludwig Black Beauty, Ludwig Supraphonic, Slingerland Radio King, N&C single ply maple, Craviotto cherry, birch or maple single ply.
$1k  Or whatever money is left over $1k - quality hardware.

eardrum

I would like to convert the garage into a sound proof studio but that would take a bit more than 10K.  How about if I were given 10 million???

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Oooooo. I'd buy a late 80s Yamaha and spend the rest of it finding the world's greatest unknown bassist and keep him/her to myself until we were inseparable. Then I'd gig us out as a team.

a_read_so_deep

just because a bassist is insanely good doesnt mean hes at all a dream to work with.
and yeah. good studio equipment would be grand. i think id get a highend kit....some good light cymbals and also some good medium weight cymbals.
there where these zildians...they where sort of two toned ...grimy looking at toop around the bell and then really shiney at the edge. i saw them the other day. they sounded GREAT. i would get myself a really really good snare.
if i had 10 million......ok
you know how neil perts kit incircles him completly....
my kit would spiral up around me. maybe 2 stories upinto the air. i kid.
i would get a tympani drum definetly. and a house.
and a volvo station wagon...style, safety and comfort.
i would get a good remote highhat also.
id buy the drummer cafe a round of uh...coffee i guess? and breakfast. if it was the drummer pub itd be different, you know.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: a_read_so_deep on February 02, 2008, 06:47 AM
just because a bassist is insanely good doesnt mean hes at all a dream to work with.

If he's not a dream to work with then he's not all that great, right? ;)

a_read_so_deep

yeahh. i knew this kid. he had been playing 3 months...
and...he was amazing. better than anyone ive ever seen.