• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

yeah baby! new drumset

Started by Hank Gagnon, February 05, 2008, 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Gagnon

i put an ad in the paper to sell my old kit. sold in 48 hours.  delivered it to buyer and headed to portland maine. had been looking at ludwig custom elite and gretsch catalina birch.found neither. went to the drum shop for my last stop. place was a little slow so i had a salesman all to myself.  ended up buying the mapex m birch set with a free 8 inch tom tom. honey amber. i must say it is punchy and tunes  nicely.  doesn't take much  to notice  a change in tone. the 14 inch floor tom surprised me  with its depth.  with the remo heads that came with it sounds pretty good.  i have started to replace the heads with coated ambassadors however.  like a good album it grows on you the more you play it.    i'm glad i stopped at the drum shop.

kmaley

I have the M Birch also in transparent emerald green.  This kit kicks!

Congrats on a fine purchase!

Louis Russell

It is almost impossible to beat that "I got new drums" feeling.  Have fun! 

skinbeatergreg

Great choice, if I say so myself!  I have the same kit, same finish.  The Honey Amber looks great!

JeffK

My last kit was the Mapex M birch in the Transparent sapphire finish. Beautiful finish and excellent sounding, very easy to tune. I sold that kit and went to the Mapex M Pro maple kit in a smaller configuration. I got away from playing some progressive rock and decided a smaller kit would be in order, even though I ended up getting a 24 bass 13 tom and 16 & 18 floor toms, Haha. I guess old habits die hard because I just purchased an additional 10 & 12 tom, which will probably stay at home instead of on the gigging kit.

Finish is the Blue Ice, which you either love or hate. First kit I ever owned that looked happy!

JeffK

Chip Donaho

I've got 2 Mapex sets. Can't say a bad thing about either one. You're going to love it.  ;)

Hank Gagnon

tonite i played on my new set. the rack toms and floor sound nice. i put o-rings  on them except the 8 inch.  the 14 inch floor tom sounds  a lot better than my old 16 ever did.  the bass needs some tweaking as does the snare. i had the snare sounding ok but i messed with it too much now it's all out of whack.  couple more heads to replace. shoveling snow all day at work didn't help the drumming. i was all over the place. more snow coming for the rest of the week.