• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

The New Drummer Cafe TV

Started by Louis Russell, February 20, 2008, 02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Norris

Congrats Bart!  I'm sure you're very pleased to get this off the ground.  Overall I like it a lot.  It feels more like a real show compared to the pieces you had before.  The graphics and segues are all fun.  I loved your blinded me with science bit.  And I was howling about the stick ports. That's hilarious! 

Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of suggestions for you, but as you mentioned above, the news can get laborious so I agree that shortening it might help.  The kinds of segments you can do are almost endless.  You've already done a lot of neat segments in the past so incorporating them into this new format shouldn't be too hard.  It would be cool to have co-hosts or guest correspondents from time-to-time. 

Bill Bachman

There's definitely something cookin! I look forward to seeing some cool stuff Bart.  :)

Hannah Ford

AMAZING!!!

You are crazy talented....

Love it!!

Hannah

Bart Elliott

Thank you, Hannah.  :-*

I had fun making the intro for the Product Reviews. I got the idea from a particular individual from a particular company who said that I fancied myself as a scientist, then said I needed to be more scientific. We joked about the Thomas Dolby tune here on the forum, so I took the idea and ran with it. Rather than mess with trying to get music licensing for using a clip from Dolby's tune, even though it could be argued that I would use it for parody and education purposes, both of which fall under "fair use", I decided to compose my own music. It sounds close, which it's supposed to do, but is original. Appropriately entitled "Science".

Bart Elliott

I've got to compose a hip introduction for the whole show as well; I'm still working on that. Lots of ideas, but none of them are a home run for me.

The news segments are slow and too long; too much info. The product review, in a show format, is a bit long (and boring) as well.

It's a pilot ... with lots of room for improvement. The reason I wanted to put it out there, as is without more time and energy put into it, is because I wanted feedback. If it "sucks" and people don't like the concept, I need to move on a do something else. If the basic vibe is a thumbs up, then I can put more time and energy into the show and develop it further.

Thanks again for the feedback.

David Stanoch

Quote from: Bart Elliott on April 29, 2011, 01:11 PM
I've got to compose a hip introduction for the whole show as well; I'm still working on that. Lots of ideas, but none of them are a home run for me.

The news segments are slow and too long; too much info. The product review, in a show format, is a bit long (and boring) as well.

It's a pilot ... with lots of room for improvement. The reason I wanted to put it out there, as is without more time and energy put into it, is because I wanted feedback. If it "sucks" and people don't like the concept, I need to move on a do something else. If the basic vibe is a thumbs up, then I can put more time and energy into the show and develop it further.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Congrats Bart,

I watched and read your thoughts.

I like the idea of the weekly news segment. My thought is if you keep it on the brief side (story by story) this could really catch on. While, yes, it may be a little long in this pilot, I think as you get into this and get a little more relaxed and comfortable it will simply shine. I think it will attract attention!

Don't be afraid to talk w/your hands more - I don't think something like this has to be as formal as an network anchor reporting world events - we're drum geeks! Think of the body language of someone like Jon Stewart, who is very comfortable at his desk, as an example. You looked the most relaxed and expressive to me when you made the Joey Kramer joke. Not everything should be a joke of course, but it can be light and loose. Your sincerity is apparent and I think it's good that you are not afraid to invite controversy either (i.e: the "stickport" jokes), that will attract attention as well.

I liked your tribute to Joe a lot. Best of luck going forward - I'm a fan!

Chip Donaho

Quote from: David Stanoch on April 30, 2011, 09:19 AM
I don't think something like this has to be as formal as an network anchor reporting world events - we're drum geeks!
I was just about ready to say the same thing. You read my mind.  ;)

Bart Elliott

Thanks for the feedback, Dave.

I'm not afraid to use my hands when I speak, believe me! LOL Part of the reason I purposefully didn't use my hands much is that it messes with the camera. Because the shot is tight on me, the hands can quickly upstage the face. It's not a focus issue, but the hands can look huge if brought too far in front of the body.

Another issue with the hands ... with all the LONG sections of the report, I am essentially trying to remember what I'm going to say as well as read from my make-shift teleprompter.  :-\  One hand has to control it, so when I need to scroll, if my hand isn't already in place, I'm fishing around for the mouse. Doing that, trying to be upbeat, and not screw-up the dialog is a real challenge. I guess that's why most shows are not one-man-operations.  :)

Thanks again; I'll work on everyone's suggestions.

Keeping things short would allow me to NOT read anything and just speak from my heart. I left a few lip slips pass on this episode, which is a big deal for me to leave there.

I actually recorded the report footage over a month ago; in fact it was just after Joe Morello passed. Once I get everything dialed in, it's going to be a lot better.

I still have a lot of growing to do in this arena.  8)

It's also a challenge to try and be upbeat when there's no audience and no sidekick to interact with. While there are many people in Nashville I could ask to help me, scheduling and getting them over to my studio would soon be an issue. Bill Bachman and I discussed this on the phone a bit. With the one man show, I can record whenever I want.

Baby steps; I've got to be okay with baby steps ... although that seems to be the story of my life. LOL 

David Stanoch

Quote from: Bart Elliott on April 30, 2011, 11:15 AM
Another issue with the hands ... with all the LONG sections of the report, I am essentially trying to remember what I'm going to say as well as read from my make-shift teleprompter.  :-\  One hand has to control it, so when I need to scroll, if my hand isn't already in place, I'm fishing around for the mouse. Doing that, trying to be upbeat, and not screw-up the dialog is a real challenge. I guess that's why most shows are not one-man-operations.  :)

...Pay no attention to the man behind the counter (wait - that's not right at all but something like that, eh)?  ;) 

I feel ya, brother Bart, but hey - practice makes perfect. I also get the part about being upbeat when you're there doing it alone. Most to the video companion for my book was shot like that. It can get kind of lonely, tedious and sometimes frustrating, but at least no one hears me cursing after screw-ups!

FYI, my pal, Mark Powers, tacks his bloopers onto the end of his instructional videos, which is very amusing and real -  maybe something to try from time to time?

http://www.youtube.com/user/powerspercussion#p/u/3/FLD26mdnLq0]http://www.youtube.com/user/powerspercussion#p/u/3/FLD26mdnLq0

I think this is all very interesting to me as I'm prepping to do a new DVD and have a lot of this type of stuff on my mind... A shot seems to give off a different vibe whether you're level w/the subject (conversational), shooting below the subject (which seems to project a sort of "commanding" aura), shooting above the subject (giving the viewer a more informal, "looking in" kind of vibe), etc.

One thing that may help you balance between scripted and improv reporting might be doing a more scripted voiceover while you run footage, or pan across a photo of whatever the topic is - like a correspondant report - and recap on the back end, more off-the-cuff, in studio at the desk w/your cool side screen? It might save time overall on takes, too - or not - who knows - just a suggestion.

I'm sure one way or another it'll all be fun for you to tweak and will turn out fine. You're off to a great start, really. It's a great concept - the DC News Beat!  8)

Bart Elliott

I also wanted to thank you all for suffering through all of the commercials; one at the beginning and one at the end of each episode. They help pay the bills ... well, hopefully they will ... eventually.

I'm going to be looking for select businesses to help by sponsoring an episode. Once I get things dialed in, perhaps those that like what I'm doing can recommend the show to a potential sponsor.

Tim van de Ven

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, Bart! Well done!

... and thanks for the "love" at the end of the broadcast.  ;)  8)

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Tim van de Ven on May 02, 2011, 03:52 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, Bart! Well done!
... and thanks for the "love" at the end of the broadcast.  ;)  8)

Thanks, Tim ... and thanks for sharing your photo with us.

Thank you also to Tim and David Crigger for their contributions with the "Slice of Onion" segment.

Gaetano Nicolosi

Bart,
this is the best episode ever!
You always surprise me with your ability! Well done!

1st class all the way!

Bart Elliott

Thanks, Gaetano!

Okay ... so, aside from the things that are there and which I need to tighten up, perfect and improve ...

what would you like to see that isn't there?

Knowing that I've got other segments coming, such as do-it-yourself, interviews, product close-ups ... anything else?

If I had the ability to bring you this news every week, meaning news as it happens not a week or two after it happens, does that interest you?  The PRess Roll already does this in that if I get news, I report about it by the next issue which comes out every Tuesday.

Gaetano Nicolosi

Bart everything on the drummer cafe TV is great, however  I think also would cool
to ad some "Drum Tip(s) of the week"!

Bart Elliott

I think I've come up with a cool "music opening" for the show. I'll get it recorded, hopefully sooner than later, and get everyone's feedback.