• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Most Under Appreciated Drummers

Started by motech, February 29, 2008, 12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chonson

Pat Mastelotto.

I've been hit over the head with his playing the last few days and forgot how much I like it. His Mr. Mister stuff -- great straight-up rock. King Crimson - a great addition in that world. Now I hear his bit with Gavin Harrison and it hits me how much Pat's sonic palette seems to have increased in the last several years. Amazing and tasty.

Jim R.

I think Will Champion of Coldplay is underrated, maybe's he's considered more up and coming. He has some of the coolest beats on tunes that you don't get to hear much on popular music and the music gives him room to be very dynamic and muscial and also room for bashing. What a great gig for a drummer!
There new album is coming in June I believe.

dmhdrums

Well, to give you an idea of how underrated this guy is, I haven't ever been able to find his name!

The drummer for Israel and New Breed [a Gospel/Christian rock group]

Tkitna

Wow, he is underrrated. He cant even get his picture posted.  ;D

(Just joking)

TUNELOW

dmhdrums

Quote from: tkitna on May 17, 2008, 01:47 AM
Wow, he is underrrated. He cant even get his picture posted.  ;D

(Just joking)

That was supposed to be a link to the band's Myspace...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=202838167

try that...

George

How about Sandy West from the Runaways?

ben

Quote from: xdrummer2000 link=topic=23229.msg265755#msg265755date=1207276937Teddy Campbell (American Idol House Band)

I've watched most of this season's American Idol episodes and the guys is good... but I often found he was overplaying and really didn't need to.

Just my 2 cents...  ;)

Paicey

I remember seeing a band years ago and the drummer was playing some real tasty stuff. They were doing some Moody Blues tunes and i became aware of Graham Edges tasty playing. Ive rarely if ever? heard mention of him.

Jon E

Clem Burke ~ Blondie
Bun E. Carlos ~ Cheap Trick
Alan Myers ~ DEVO
Ed Shaughnessy
Larry Mullen, Jr. (if nobody has already mentioned him)
Russ Kunkel

simonr88

Second Pat Wilson - check out this video we made of him behind the drums at their sold out O2 academy brixton show last month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB5lLcwZK1E#ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB5lLcwZK1E#ws

Jeff Bankston

Jerry Edmonton(RIP) , Don Brewer, Bobby Caldwell , Chuck Ruff , Cesar Zuderwick(Golden Earring), Richard Hughes

KevinD

One of my favorite under-appreciated drummers is Dennis Diken of the Smithereens, really tasty player who can really open up with some chops at the appropriate time. I've seen him play live quite a bit and his time NEVER moves, he is steady as a rock even during their Who tribute thing that they do. Also Dennis is kind of a walking encyclopedia in terms of popular music history, he can pretty much listen to any track from the golden era of recording and tell you who the drummer was, where it was recorded etc.. all that cool stuff.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: dmhdrums on May 16, 2008, 09:22 PM
Well, to give you an idea of how underrated this guy is, I haven't ever been able to find his name!
The drummer for Israel and New Breed [a Gospel/Christian rock group]

Chris Coleman was the original drummer in that band and he's a monster who's moved up in stature since leaving (circa 2004? Can't quite remember).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8yfbf1b40c#]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8yfbf1b40c#

Mike Noll

John 'Pugwash' Weathers - Gentle Giant

Ardent15

Phil Rudd, Charlie Watts, and Ringo.

jackofspeed

Michael DeRosier of Heart was a badass drummer for sure.

smoggrocks

in no particular order...

steve holmes--i just love this guy's playing, and i appreciate his contributions as an educator and his desire to continue to improve. his house of drumming forum can get a little testy, but steve is a cool guy with great chops/feel/humility and blushdas to spare. i saw his band 'altered' play at the baked potato and was really inspired. the whole trio takes you on a journey.

brian tichy--not sure if he's underrated or not, but i saw brian play with lynch mob and was completely blown away. he's like a hyper-articulate bonham. he held that band solidly together and they truly stole the show from michael schenker [schenker was great; his band, not so great]. i guess brian is playing for whitesnake now? something like that.

mark guiliana--i only recently got into mark and loved what i heard. funky, swingy, awesome right foot. i'm assuming he's kinda niched in the jazz realm, but i hope he gets his rightful place in the spotlight soon.

don't know his name--dude from steve miller band? i was never an SMB fan, but the past few months i started paying attention when those tunes came up on the radio. great groove and love the connector phrases.

agree with kev on dennis diken, too. super solid player. he may not be on the front page of MD, but there are still plenty of loyal smithereen fans out there, so i'm sure dennis gets a good amount of love.

i don't even know what underrated means anymore. aren't all drummers underrated at some level? how many drummers are household names these days? maybe neil peart and the guys on nighttime tv?

at least letterman is giving the drummer some!! :D

Tkitna

John Poulos of the Buckinghams was a flat out monster. I've never heard his name mentioned before.

Dennis Elliott from Foreigner deserves mention.

Mick Avory from the Kinks too.

Chip Donaho

Sandy Nelson recorded "Let There Be Drums".... I'm not sure about the spelling.  :P